Topics

locked Calendar is live

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:35 am, Shal Farley shal@... wrote:

Perhaps the calendar ought to operate on the same principle as the messages: a member can only edit or delete an event they created.

I just pushed this change. It will only be in effect for new events; we didn't track who created events up until now. For old events, the old behavior still applies.

Thanks, Mark

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:35 am, Shal Farley shal@... wrote:

Perhaps the calendar ought to operate on the same principle as the messages: a member can only edit or delete an event they created.

I think this makes sense. I've added it to the todo list.

Thanks, Mark

Duane

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:35 am, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Perhaps the calendar ought to operate on the same principle as the
messages: a member can only edit or delete an event they created.

Probably better done through an explicit RSVP mechanism than by general
editing of the event.

-- Shal
Those were my thoughts on both, but I never know when someone else might have a better idea. I know Mark has RSVP on his list, but this could be used until then if it would help. To be honest, I'd rather have the limited editing, so the RSVP part was more an afterthought.

Duane

Duane,

I have the Calendar set for "Subscribers can view and edit".
Unfortunately, that means that someone could accidentally (or
intentionally) change an event.

On the other hand, the current capability could be used as a sort of
RSVP where attendees added their names to the event.
Probably better done through an explicit RSVP mechanism than by general editing of the event.

-- Shal

This one's a non-issue for my groups. Our members would never have reason to bother with the calendar. Mods handle it. Just posting for feedback from a different user type...

Trish

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
A couple of people on one of our groups (and I) have a concern.  I have the Calendar set for "Subscribers can view and edit".  Unfortunately, that means that someone could accidentally (or intentionally) change an event.  If it's worth doing, I think it would be safer to only allow the originator or moderators to make changes to an existing event.  I'm sure it can be done, just not sure if it's worth the effort.  On the other hand, the current capability could be used as a sort of RSVP where attendees added their names to the event.  Decisions, decisions...

Duane

Duane

A couple of people on one of our groups (and I) have a concern. I have the Calendar set for "Subscribers can view and edit". Unfortunately, that means that someone could accidentally (or intentionally) change an event. If it's worth doing, I think it would be safer to only allow the originator or moderators to make changes to an existing event. I'm sure it can be done, just not sure if it's worth the effort. On the other hand, the current capability could be used as a sort of RSVP where attendees added their names to the event. Decisions, decisions...

Duane

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:43 am, Duane txpigeon@... wrote:

Another minor complaint. If I set an event for All Day, start on 1/29, end on 2/2, it only shows through 2/1 on the calendar. I may be looking at it wrong, but I would think it should include the end date.

Fixed!

Thanks, Mark

Duane

Another minor complaint. If I set an event for All Day, start on 1/29, end on 2/2, it only shows through 2/1 on the calendar. I may be looking at it wrong, but I would think it should include the end date.

Thanks,
Duane

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:10 pm, Duane txpigeon@... wrote:

I think I found another glitch on the calendar. I set up an event for July, set reminders for 4 weeks and 8 weeks, and added it. When I clicked on the event, it had changed them to minutes. I also tried setting it to hours and days, but it still shows minutes when I go back in.

Good catch. Fixed!

Thanks, Mark

Duane

I think I found another glitch on the calendar. I set up an event for July, set reminders for 4 weeks and 8 weeks, and added it. When I clicked on the event, it had changed them to minutes. I also tried setting it to hours and days, but it still shows minutes when I go back in.

Duane

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
I noticed this morning that when I look at an event, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get back to the place in the Calendar that I was looking at.  It may be because I'm owner.  I have to click on Calendar again, then click forward to where I was, if another month/week, etc.

I just fixed the breadcrumbs (links at the top of the page), so that at least they're a little consistent. Clicking the calendar doesn't get you back to the specific date you were looking at yet, I'll add that to the todo list.

Thanks,
Mark 

Duane

I noticed this morning that when I look at an event, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get back to the place in the Calendar that I was looking at. It may be because I'm owner. I have to click on Calendar again, then click forward to where I was, if another month/week, etc.

Duane

Agreed. That is a good point. Keep it less than obvious for now. Mark has much work to do (though how he can do it and read all these emails is a question I have <g>). Better for it to be all done than to have hordes of people here wanting to do this and that, getting upset and then dissing it. IMO. Like anything it will always be a work in progress but I think it isn't time yet.

Susan B

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 2:37 PM
Subject: [beta] Re: Calendar is live

Brenda - Personally, I'd err on the side of caution. It might be wiser to not draw attention until most people are safely in a new harbor. Yahoo could cause a lot of problems if a mass exodus was brought to their attention. I think of this a little like an escape from a prison camp, but that's just the survivor in me. :-)

Dano

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

That's why I wasn't sure if the archives discussion belonged in here or in MMSanctuary. And I wasn't sure if you were okay with me talking to the media about Groups.io. If I could get it done for you, would you be okay with someone doing a story about it?

No worries. And sure, I'd be happy to talk to the media. I do appreciate any and all evangelizing the service! 

I do know my updates need another place, as my group is used to them from me, but I'm working on figuring out how to make another group where they can go read those. Can a sub-group be public archives??

Subgroups cannot have public archives. I don't remember the specific reason I did it that way, although I can see some confusion if a parent group has private archives but the subgroup has public archives.

Also, is there actually message quoting enabled yet? If there is, I can't find it when I do my reply.

There is not. It's on the todo list. :-)

Mark 

Nightowl >8#

Hi Mark,

That's why I wasn't sure if the archives discussion belonged in here or in MMSanctuary. And I wasn't sure if you were okay with me talking to the media about Groups.io. If I could get it done for you, would you be okay with someone doing a story about it?

I do know my updates need another place, as my group is used to them from me, but I'm working on figuring out how to make another group where they can go read those. Can a sub-group be public archives??

Also, is there actually message quoting enabled yet? If there is, I can't find it when I do my reply.

Thanks,

Brenda

Hi Brenda,

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

And Mark, if you want us to move this discussion topic to MMSanctuary, we can. Just let me know.

I completely support what you all are doing and am flattered at the passion you have shown. But I'd like to keep Beta focused on Groups.io features and how I can improve the service..

Thanks!
Mark

Nightowl >8#

Okay, I'm up here at the car place on my laptop (trying out their new wifi counter)

Dan, I thought some more about this,  (contacting the media), and here are my thoughts:

1. Yahoo has pretty much done everything it can to us. It's already broken groups, screwed up mail, and lost many people's archives and data.The only thing they can try to do to us would be refuse to let us leave a group or delete a group. However, that didn't stop anyone before, because they may be able to prevent us from deleting groups or "leaving them"  but they can't really keep us there.

2. I already put the word out on Twitter about this place when Mark gave me the green light the other day, and I have a bunch of reporters that follow me. I don't think they will pay much attention to us now as they weren't doing it before. Plus there is the post on the Blog, where reporters & etc. have been directed for over a year.

3. Mark needs people to populate his groups, and a story in the media might really help, I have a couple particular special reporters that might consider mentioning it. And two of them did a story about our plight, but no one cared in mainstream media,

4. If we DID get a story out in mainstream media, I think it would only help our cause, not hurt it. Yahoo can either fix things and let us keep what we had, (which is no longer likely), or let us leave. I don't think there is much else they can do except delete groups completely, and I think they are headed there anyway.

What are your thoughts?

And Mark, if you want us to move this discussion topic to MMSanctuary, we can. Just let me know.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Don't worry Dan, that would be foremost on my mind. We've warned Yahoo over and over that there might soon come a mass exodus though, and they have ignored us and not cared.

I won't do anything stupid, I promise. :) Plus, I wouldn't do anything regarding media without discussing it with Mark and getting his opinion. And the only reporter I was thinking about was my personal AP guy friend. ;) Not the entire world of media.

And believe me, I get the survivor concept...100%.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

David,

Forgot to mention that the "shipwreck" in that graphic is actually depicting the S.S. Yatanic. It also had a poem with it, both in 2010 and in 2013. The 2010 poem is actually what finally got the attention of the media and eventually of V.P. of communications, Jim Stoneham.

You can view those here:

https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/yatanic-iceberg-dead-ahead/

https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/87/
(That one's called Yatanic, Iceberg! Now we're sinking!" I don't know why it's not in the URL, Suz is my Wordpress Guru.)

Both poems also tell the story of how I saved Classic Groups once and how our fight was going the second time.

Another place with a good history summary of our fight to check out is "For the Press"
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/for-the-press-2/

That reminds me, I need to get that updated soon.

Gotta go off awhile, back soon!

Brenda

Brenda - Personally, I'd err on the side of caution. It might be wiser to not draw attention until most people are safely in a new harbor. Yahoo could cause a lot of problems if a mass exodus was brought to their attention. I think of this a little like an escape from a prison camp, but that's just the survivor in me. :-)

Dano