Topics

moderated Include Email Aliases in Member List #suggestion

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 10:27 AM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

Bruce wrote:
... Failing that, if you attempt to invite or direct add an aliased address, the error message could say something more helpful, along the lines of "already a member (as an alias of xx@ yy.com)."

I'd vote for that as the primary suggestion. Then the moderator wouldn't have to search for it.

I've made that change.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 01:27 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
... Failing that, if you attempt to invite or direct add an aliased address, the error message could say something more helpful, along the lines of "already a member (as an alias of xx@ yy.com)."

I'd vote for that as the primary suggestion. Then the moderator wouldn't have to search for it.

That would be the quickest one to implement as well so I second that.  And I guess even if it'd probably be implied, save an Activity Log entry as well, so the display error message displayed wouldn't be just transient, but also searchable for troubleshooting purposes if need be.

As for possibly adding something in the Member List, Bruce's suggestion of a "[Has] Aliases" badge would be a quick and easy option, display that badge for the addresses that have aliases and when one hovers over the badge, display the alias list.  Or instead, possibly enhancing Searching Member List could also help by allowing to search for the alias and return you the actual member's account it belongs to.

Cheers,
Christos

Mark,

Bruce wrote:
... Failing that, if you attempt to invite or direct add an aliased address, the error message could say something more helpful, along the lines of "already a member (as an alias of xx@ yy.com)."

I'd vote for that as the primary suggestion. Then the moderator wouldn't have to search for it.

Shal

I second this.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 9:34 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Email aliases can confound group Owners, who often don't even realize such a feature exists. For example, it's very disconcerting to attempt to invite or direct add an alias address and have the system tell you that address is already a member.

"??? I don't see it in the Member List..."

Even if you do already know about aliases, this leaves you with the frustrating task of painstakingly opening every member record one by one to find out which account is using the alias.

To that end, it might be handy if all aliases were listed right there in the Member List, perhaps indented below the subscribed address and in a different color (or bearing a new status badge or something along those lines...haven't thought that completely through). Failing that, if you attempt to invite or direct add an aliased address, the error message could say something more helpful, along the lines of "already a member (as an alias of xx@ yy.com)."

A final thing I would like to open for consideration is the ability of Owners of Premium groups to edit a subscriber's email aliases (as they already can for the primary address).

Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman