Topics

moderated Calendar issue - ICS shows something other than the UI #bug

Ry Jones

Fastmail wasn't interpreting it correctly, which is why I reached out. I was using the python app as secondary evidence because I had deleted the Fastmail calendar that was displaying this behaviour.

Another issue is that there is only one instance of any given calendar in gcal. When one person adds and shares an ICS feed in Google cal, once Google decides to stop syncing it, it stops for everyone across all Google instances.

My earlier request to remove formatting from calendar entries was because, for whatever reason, the old DCI working group invite with formatting caused the parser to break, both at Google and Fastmail. Why? I don't know. Once it's broken at Google, it stops syncing, and because nobody "owns" it, you can't update it and tell Google to "try again"

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 2:25 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi Ry,

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:57 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
To get the python code to not display the deleted events, I had to change the DTSTART field of the event; changing it from the first instance of that event to one that coincides with the first deleted event.

In reading the spec, it's not clear if this is needed; in my reading of the spec it seems to imply that the DTSTART field should not be modified:

The "EXDATE" property can be used to exclude the value specified in "DTSTART". However, in such cases, the original "DTSTART" date MUST still be maintained by the calendaring and scheduling system because the original "DTSTART" value has inherent usage dependencies by other properties such as the "RECURRENCE-ID".

So I'm inclined to say that the python code is wrong....

And now, for whatever reason, my fastmail calendar: https://user.fm/calendar/v1-ed6b298fe31d41e47eeff58a3f84f2d9/Hyperledger%20Public%20Calendar.ics contains the correct data.

especially in light of Fastmail interpreting it correctly. Also, I imported the ICS feed into GCal, which interpreted it correctly. Then I exported an ICS feed from GCal, and the DTSTART date was the original one, and the EXDATEs matched what I generated.

Please let me know if you see any other weirdness.

Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger

[...]

I'm using Fastmail's calendar. Also, when I use a python iCal parser, I see:

ry@mm giocal % grep TSC parsed.txt

2020-12-24 07:00:00-08:00 - [Hyperledger TSC] Technical Steering Committee (TSC)

2020-12-31 07:00:00-08:00 - [Hyperledger TSC] Technical Steering Committee (TSC)

2021-01-07 07:00:00-08:00 - [Hyperledger TSC] Technical Steering Committee (TSC)

2021-01-13 09:00:00-08:00 - [Hyperledger TSC] Marketing Committee - Developer Relations sync

2021-01-14 07:00:00-08:00 - [Hyperledger TSC] Technical Steering Committee (TSC)

I notice the EXDATE clauses are at the end of the stanza:

BEGIN:VEVENT

X-GIOIDS:Repeat:32226

UID:ulR6.1602175450496383515.i0MB@...

DTSTAMP:20201221T204803Z

ORGANIZER;CN=TSC:mailto:community-architects@...

DTSTART;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20201105T070000

DTEND;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20201105T080000

RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=TH

SUMMARY:[Hyperledger TSC] Technical Steering Committee (TSC)

 SC/TSC+Meeting+Agendas\n\nJoin Zoom Meeting:\n\n* Click to join ( https:/

 /zoom.us/j/93304666234?pwd=OEswSmpjS2oxeWE2NmZId2hBanBnQT09 )\n* Meeting

 ID: 933 0466 6234\n* Passcode: 069643\n\nPlease download and import the f

 ollowing iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system:\n\n* TSC ICS fil

 e ( https://zoom.us/meeting/tJcud-2uqD0oGdCRhSPPVudkYn_hZb-W7SRT/ics?icsT

 oken=98tyKuCrrTsuHNKTshqDRowqA4igLO7wpiFBjad-rhfWMxBldwf9D-x9Ooh9Xe-H )

LOCATION:https://zoom.us/j/93304666234?pwd=OEswSmpjS2oxeWE2NmZId2hBanBnQT

 09

SEQUENCE:0

EXDATE:20201126T150000Z

EXDATE:20201112T150000Z

EXDATE:20201217T150000Z

EXDATE:20201224T150000Z

EXDATE:20201231T150000Z

EXDATE:20210107T150000Z

END:VEVENT

And now, for whatever reason, my fastmail calendar: https://user.fm/calendar/v1-ed6b298fe31d41e47eeff58a3f84f2d9/Hyperledger%20Public%20Calendar.ics contains the correct data.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:46 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi Ry,

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 12:34 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
While trying to debug an issue, I found that the ICS feed:
Shows, for example, a meeting on 24-DEC for the TSC. However, when I look in the UI, that meeting is correctly deleted.
If you look here:
The meeting does not show. It also doesn't show on my UI view, as a user.

I'm thinking it's a calendar specific issue. What calendar program are you using to view the ICS feed? I imported the feed into Google Cal, and no deleted events showed up.

[...]

Ry