Topics

moderated Preventing the export of a table by non-owners #suggestion

Rick N

Pete,

Being able to display the information from a table is enough to be able to gather it, and you don't need to specifically be able to download and collect it.  Google the term "screen scraping" if you're not familiar with it.

Rick

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:11 AM Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:
One of my groups is limited to the residents of my community. It contains database that is an opt-in directory of residents, including some who are actually group members. (It's a holdover from the days when we used to publish a hardcopy directory of everyone in the neighborhood and provide one to every household.) We're grappling with privacy issues here and want to minimize this data getting out into the world, at least in a wholesale way.

So my request is to have the option in the Permissions section of a table to disallow anyone other than the table owner, the groups owner, and/or the group moderators to export the contents of the table.

Thanks for your consideration.

Pete

Peter Cook

Guys, as I've already said, I understand that. I'm simply wanting to make it more difficult to share the data en masse, especially in digitally readable format.

On 21 Dec 2020 at 7:30, Peter Cook wrote:

So my request is to have the option in the Permissions section of a table to
disallow anyone other than the table owner, the groups owner, and/or the group
moderators to export the contents of the table.

Pete
If someone can see the data, then they can save it to their own computer, if only as a screen shot. There is no way anyone can prevent that.

Jim Fisher

Peter Cook

Ok. I give.

Duane

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:49 AM, Peter Cook wrote:
I understand that. As I said, I just don't want to make it easy to send this out in a wholesale way, as in a spreadsheet export.
Just did a quick test and they don't even have to do screen captures, just use View Page Source (in Firefox) and copy what they want from there.

Duane

Peter Cook

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:43 AM, Peter Cook wrote:
Yeah, that's a separate conversation from GIO. I'm just looking for a tool to help.

(This was a response, to toki, not Duane.)

Peter Cook

If they can see the table, they can always do screen captures.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:11 AM, Peter Cook wrote:
So my request is to have the option in the Permissions section of a table to disallow anyone other than the table owner, the groups owner, and/or the group moderators to export the contents of the table.
I don't see how that could work.  If they can see the table, they can always do screen captures.  A little more work, but they've still got all the information.

Duane

toki

On 21/12/2020 15:30, Peter Cook wrote:> So my request is to have the option in the Permissions section of a table to disallow anyone other than the table owner, the groups owner, and/or the group moderators to export the contents of the table.
If a user can access the table, the user can export the table.

This is where you have to do a deep dive into what data you are providing, and why you providing each specific datum.

Depending upon your legal jurisdiction, national, provincial/state, county/parish/district, city/town/village statutes, regulations, ordinances, and laws may have a bearing upon what data your organization may disseminate, either publicly, semi-publicly, or privately.
Also note that employers may have rules about data dissemination of employees by other organizations. Rules that may or may not be legally binding.

jonathon

Peter Cook