Topics

moderated Strip digital signatures (smime.p7s) #suggestion

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 02:58 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
It might be beneficial if groups.io simply stripped these signatures instead of applying the group's attachment policy to them.
My group moderates attachments and I have one member who more often than not has a .p7s attachment which I end up deleting. I have suggested to this member that they turn off the option in their mail client that generates this attachment but so far it has fallen on deaf ears.  I'd be in favour of stripping them out if possible.

Andy

Bruce, Mark,

It might be beneficial if groups.io simply stripped these signatures
instead of applying the group's attachment policy to them.
Or better still, check the signature and apply a badge of some kind to the message indicating that there was a signature and whether it was valid or invalid.

Right now, if the group allows attachments, the signature passes through to the receiving members. I haven't investigated whether it is still valid having passed through Groups.io, but if not perhaps it should be stripped before being sent out.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- It's come to our attention that some mail clients now add digital signatures by default. These are carried as attachments, causing problems with attempts to post to a group that does not allow attachments. It might be beneficial if groups.io simply stripped these signatures instead of applying the group's attachment policy to them.

Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce