Topics

moderated Combination of "hashtags required" and "messages moderated" sometimes causes posts to disappear #bug

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 06:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Instead of storing a message that requires a change in the subject because of group hashtag policies, we now just bounce it back to the sender, like we do in other instances (messages to groups from non-members, for example). This should prevent any weird corner cases, like I believe what was being seen above.
Mark -- I agree that simply bouncing it is preferable to holding it as a Draft....that is, after all, what the setting says will happen.

I'd be interested to know what the resulting bounce message says.

Thanks,
Bruce

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 10:41 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- The following bug was recently reported by a user in GMF ( https://groups.io/g/Group_Help/message/1870 ).

If you require hashtags in the group and an incoming email does not meet those criteria, the message is held as a Draft until that person logs in and corrects the subject line. But if the message is also supposed to be moderated, it does not go into moderation after being fixed, nor does it bypass moderation and post. It simply disappears.

This occurs whether the message originated from a regular Member or an Owner. I've confirmed this with the following settings:
Spam Control > Message Moderation > All messages are moderated
Message Policies > Hashtags Required
Message Policies > Hashtag Permissions > Messages from members can only be tagged with existing hashtags, otherwise the message is bounced

I was never happy about the code involved with handling messages that we needed to reject/have edited because of hashtag issues. So I've changed the policy. Instead of storing a message that requires a change in the subject because of group hashtag policies, we now just bounce it back to the sender, like we do in other instances (messages to groups from non-members, for example). This should prevent any weird corner cases, like I believe what was being seen above.

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Some follow-up to my comment on "other obscure combinations of settings."

If the group itself is not moderated, but the hashtag I add to the held draft has the Moderated flag set, the same thing happens. I get a green-banner message saying that the message will post after moderation, but it instead vanishes without a trace.

The reason for moderation does not seem to matter with respect to this. I have not [yet] tested other scenarios that might lead to an incoming email being held as a draft (like Storage Limit Reached > Bounce Messages with Attachments).

FYI,
Bruce

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 01:41 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
If you require hashtags in the group and an incoming email does not meet those criteria, the message is held as a Draft until that person logs in and corrects the subject line. But if the message is also supposed to be moderated, it does not go into moderation after being fixed, nor does it bypass moderation and post. It simply disappears.

This occurs whether the message originated from a regular Member or an Owner. I've confirmed this with the following settings:
Spam Control > Message Moderation > All messages are moderated
Message Policies > Hashtags Required
Message Policies > Hashtag Permissions > Messages from members can only be tagged with existing hashtags, otherwise the message is bounced

I suspect that some other obscure combinations of settings could lead to the same behavior.

Bruce Bowman

[...]

Regards,
Bruce