moderated Allow members to mute other members #suggestion

David Bennett

There is a member in my group who has taken an intense dislike to another member. Both members are respectful in their postings, and neither member violates the terms of membership.

However, the dislike is so strong that one member has left groups.io because he can't stand seeing posts from the other member.

To be able to keep both members in the group, there needs to be an option for the first member to mute the second member (and thus, never see the second member's posts). It would probably be easiest to implement by making the muting two-way. That is, the second member won't ever see the first member's posts, either, and thus won't be in a position of trying to reply to the first member when the reply will never be seen by the first member.

Glenn Glazer

Couldn't they just use whatever MUA they are using to filter out mail from the other person?

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Rick N

Most, if not all, email clients allow the creation of "rules" or "filters" that can be used to put selected messages directly in the trash.

IF a car has seatbelts too short to fit properly, you don't ask the car's manufacturer to reengineer the seatbelt.

Rick

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 10:57 AM David Bennett via groups.io <davidbennett=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
There is a member in my group who has taken an intense dislike to another member. Both members are respectful in their postings, and neither member violates the terms of membership.

However, the dislike is so strong that one member has left groups.io because he can't stand seeing posts from the other member.

To be able to keep both members in the group, there needs to be an option for the first member to mute the second member (and thus, never see the second member's posts). It would probably be easiest to implement by making the muting two-way. That is, the second member won't ever see the first member's posts, either, and thus won't be in a position of trying to reply to the first member when the reply will never be seen by the first member.

Jeremy H

Groups.io already has a mute/follow routine, to decide whether posts should/should not be sent, base on topic or hashtag. What is is being requested is essentially an extension to this - to be able to base it on poster/member.

I think this would be a useful option to have - although how the different criteria interact might be tricky to sort out. And ideally it should provide for both 'posts by member' and 'topics started by member'. And 'non-member' is desirable option (for those groups which permit non-members to post).

Jeremy

Nextdoor has implemented this already so there is a precedent.

Patrick Dell'Era

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 08:02 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Couldn't they just use whatever MUA they are using to filter out mail from the other person?
Of course that technique fails for members using digest subscriptions.

Glenn Glazer

On 12/18/2020 15:47, Patrick Dell'Era wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 08:02 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Couldn't they just use whatever MUA they are using to filter out mail from the other person?
Of course that technique fails for members using digest subscriptions.

That's a fair point. I hate digests personally, but I recognize that others find value in them.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Glenn Glazer

On 12/18/2020 15:54, Glenn Glazer wrote:
On 12/18/2020 15:47, Patrick Dell'Era wrote:
On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 08:02 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Couldn't they just use whatever MUA they are using to filter out mail from the other person?
Of course that technique fails for members using digest subscriptions.

That's a fair point. I hate digests personally, but I recognize that others find value in them.

Best,

Glenn

But on further reflection, I think this leads to madness.

Alice and Bob don't like each other and mute each other. Both are on digest, so the system has to figure out, on a member by member basis, which subset of messages go in each digest. This is horribly complicated to implement and almost certainly not performant.

But let's say Mark gets it working.

Now, we have Charlie, another digest user who is agnostic to Alice's and Bob's little spat. He's also an email user, not a web UI user. He does the thing that digest users do that bothers me a lot: he responds to one message in the entire digest by including the digest in the body of the reply. But look! The digest contains messages from Alice and/or Bob for all to see. Is the system supposed to detect this for each mute and filter it out of replies as well?

More subtly, Charlie could easily punk them by just quoting them in his email and the system wouldn't have any To: fields to go by, for the same reasons that a MUA filter wouldn't either.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Glenn,

Alice and Bob don't like each other and mute each other. Both are on
digest, so the system has to figure out, on a member by member basis,
which subset of messages go in each digest. This is horribly
complicated to implement and almost certainly not performant.
This already happens for each member's mute or follow choices. So not much new about that part.

Now, we have Charlie, another digest user who is agnostic to Alice's
and Bob's little spat. He's also an email user, not a web UI user.

Is the system supposed to detect this for each mute and
filter it out of replies as well?
It doesn't matter whether Charlie uses individual vs digest, nor email vs web. All that matters is that Charlie quoted either or both of them.

And no, I don't expect the system to do anything novel about such quotes. It already does its best to remove trailing quotes from digest, and to hide trailing quotes on the web. I don't expect any extra effort to detect quotes of muted members.

IMO Alice and Bob would simply have to accept that limitation as part of their use of the group. Or unsubscribe.

Shal

Glenn Glazer

On 12/19/2020 12:41, Shal Farley wrote:
IMO Alice and Bob would simply have to accept that limitation as part of their use of the group. Or unsubscribe.

Shal

Agree, that's the point I was making.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Chris Jones

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 04:28 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Alice and Bob don't like each other and mute each other.
I must say I have found this thread a bit depressing. As we go through life we encounter all sorts of people we don't want as "bosom buddies" but we have to get along with them on some level and thus have to accept that we cannot avoid them, or they us. Perhaps the most likely scenario is the work environment where we have little or no choice about the people we have to work alongside or deal with in other organisations.

IMHO it says nothing favourable about the characters of the people involved if they are incapable of "live and let live", particularly (as seems to be the case) where neither is actually saying anything that breaks any rules of proper group conduct.

As group members (and moderators) we probably all groan from time to time at so and so's latest post without feeling any uncontrollable urge to not read the post or perhaps reject it unless there is a genuine substantive reason for that rejection.

I suppose I am trying to say that the people involved should "grow up"...

Chris

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 12:45 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Alice and Bob would simply have to accept that limitation
So would Carol and Ted. (groan....)