Topics

moderated If member of parent, must still confirm request to join unrestricted subgroup #bug

>>> "I believe that was implemented so that others couldn't submit subscription requests using your email address."
>>> That makes sense for stand-alone groups.

It does for subgroups as well, for the same reason; due to the inherent insecurity of email it would be easy for someone, anyone for that matter, to "subscribe" another member to the subgroup without them knowing or asking for it; obviously they would have to know group & member specifics, but think about it for a minute, it would be akin to anyone being able to subgroup-DirectAdd someone.  If I knew your group specifics and knew you were a member and your address, nothing then could stop me from spoofing your address and subscribe you through email to all the subgroups, and you wouldn't have a clue, for a while anyway until you got the welcome notices.  The chance of this happening or the reason why it would doesn't matter, it could be a prank or something serious/nefarious, without that confirmation email there is a wide-open hole ready to be exploited.

Email is insecure, being online requires the account to be logged in hence more secure therefore we can relax a bit.

If your objective is to prevent the confirmation email, and you're sending out main-group messages with subscribe links to the subgroups, how about having the links to their home pages instead, and tell folks to click on Join?  Yes I know, it still doesn't address email-only preferred users, they still would have to do the extra step.  But for the rest, work-wise it's easier and faster to click once to go to the group home then click Join and be done, and then they are on the subgroup's pages and can start exploring right away.

Or alternatively, if the subgroups are announcement groups, you could have a single link to the main group's "Subgroups" link in your message, where all the available subgroups are presented and the members can then join the ones they want to.

Cheers,
Christos

This further shows the need for cleaning up the whole confirmation process, especially in regards to precautions taken due to possible spammers and bots (as I think is implied as the reason here).

"I believe that was implemented so that others couldn't submit subscription requests using your email address."
Of course.  That makes sense for stand-alone groups.
However, in the case of a subgroup, the person is already a member of the parent group -- which means that they have a trusted relationship with the owners of the parent group. Why make them jump through another hoop to join a subgroup?
Obviates one of the major potential advantages of having subgroups.
--cg

_._,_._,_

Duane

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 11:23 PM, Curt Gowan wrote:
I forgot to say that the members are applying to join subgroups via email to
<subgroup>+subscribe@<parentgroup>.groups.io
Then everything appears to be working normally.  When joining an unrestricted group or subgroup via email, you always need to verify that you intended to join.  I believe that was implemented so that others couldn't submit subscription requests using your email address.

Duane

Oops -- I forgot to say that the members are applying to join subgroups via email to
<subgroup>+subscribe@<parentgroup>.groups.io
We use Yahoo groups via email -- we keep our files on a website.
Plus, our members are not interested in setting up yet another account somewhere.
Thanks for the reply.
--cg

That doesn't happen in my test subgroups; a member of the parent group (also restricted) can view and click on any of the subgroups (that are visible) and click on Join and they are added at once with just the (custom) Welcome Notice email sent.  My subgroups are also set as fully-unrestricted, with nothing checked in Spam Control.  I didn't test it, but could it be your subgroup's visibility setting may be set to some setting that will cause this? Mine is set to "(sub)Group listed in parent group, messages viewable by parent members", if you happen to have "messages viewable by subgroup members only" then a Join confirmation email may be appropriate, I don't know.

Cheers,
Christos

Curt,

However, if member of parent group applies to join a subgroup, they get an email requiring them to confirm.
That doesn't happen in my test subgroups; a member of the parent group (also restricted) can view and click on any of the subgroups (that are visible) and click on Join and they are added at once with just the (custom) Welcome Notice email sent.  My subgroups are also set as fully-unrestricted, with nothing checked in Spam Control.  I didn't test it, but could it be your subgroup's visibility setting may be set to some setting that will cause this? Mine is set to "(sub)Group listed in parent group, messages viewable by parent members", if you happen to have "messages viewable by subgroup members only" then a Join confirmation email may be appropriate, I don't know.

Cheers,
Christos

Parent group is restricted. Subgroup is not -- no boxes checked under Spam Control.
Owner of parent group can add them to any subgroup. They get a notice telling how to opt-out. Excellent.
However, if member of parent group applies to join a subgroup, they get an email requiring them to confirm.
For us, this obviates most of the value of subgroups.
(Or am I doing something wrong in the settings?)
Thanks,
--cg