Topics

moderated Bewildered by log entries #misc

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 08:06 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Click the unsubscribe link in a footer. Then click the resubscribe link in the email we send you telling you you've been unsubscribed.
I've confirmed that this sequence of actions does lead to those two log entries.

Thanks Mark...appreciate the explanation!

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 09:36 PM, David Grimm wrote:
Why would it say 'left group via web' if they left via an unsubscribe button on an email? Shouldn't it say 'unsubscribed via email'?
When you click the footer link, it doesn't actually unsubscribe you right away. Instead, this page opens in a new browser tab:

This is essentially the same as the dialog box that pops up when you click "Leave Group" on the group's Subscription page. Since the confirmation of your wish to leave is actually finalized on the web, I have no real problem with the first log entry saying "left via web." And of course, some action of this kind is desirable, as it's very easy to click the unsub link in the email by mistake.

The resulting action subsequently sends an email with a "Resume Subscription" link that is good for 7 days. There is no such confirmation dialog when you click this resume link. A page does open, but it's only a notification of success. One could make the case that you have thus resumed "via email" instead of "via web." Not sure changing that would make this sequence of log entries any less mysterious, though.

Regards,
Bruce

Duane

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 08:36 PM, David Grimm wrote:
Why would it say 'left group via web' if they left via an unsubscribe button on an email? Shouldn't it say 'unsubscribed via email'?
That's one place where it gets a bit confusing.  Even though they clicked on a link in an email, it goes to the site(web) for them to verify it.

Duane

David Grimm

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 08:06 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Click the unsubscribe link in a footer. Then click the resubscribe link in the email we send you telling you you've been unsubscribed.

Which then raises the questions  - Why did I not get that email when I unsubscribed my test account via the web? and Why would it say 'left group via web' if they left via an unsubscribe button on an email? Shouldn't it say 'unsubscribed via email'?

Dave

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 10:31 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Folks -- Some disconcerting log entries have recently been reported in GMF. It involves the following sequence:

<email address> left via web
<same email address> resumed membership via web

Click the unsubscribe link in a footer. Then click the resubscribe link in the email we send you telling you you've been unsubscribed.

If they didn't click the unsubscribe button, perhaps they forwarded an email to someone else who did click the unsubscribe button? There may be a rare case of an anti-spam system automatically clicking these unsubscribe links (and then also clicking the verification link on the web page).

Hope this helps.
Mark

Chris Jones

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 09:11 PM, David Grimm wrote:
I can provide email addresses of the three members who did this in my group, if it helps.
Moi aussi, but from a different group.

Chris

David Grimm

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020 at 01:31 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I have personally never witnessed the "resume membership" thing unless the person involved had previously "reported a message as spam;" but this same left-and-resumed sequence has since been verified in the logs of a second group.
I can provide email addresses of the three members who did this in my group, if it helps.

Dave

Bruce Bowman

Folks -- Some disconcerting log entries have recently been reported in GMF. It involves the following sequence:

<email address> left via web
<same email address> resumed membership via web

The unsettling thing about this is that the group is Restricted, and the owners do not report reviewing a new join application or sending a subsequent invitation or otherwise allowing these people to rejoin. I have personally never witnessed the "resume membership" thing unless the person involved had previously "reported a message as spam;" but this same left-and-resumed sequence has since been verified in the logs of a second group.

Is there a default Member Notice of some kind that contains a renew link? If so, why do they get back in without going through Pending status? Generally, I'm not aware of any GIO feature that would allow someone to resume group membership "via web." Rejoin yes...resume, no.

Any insight into what member activities could produce this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce