moderated view/change plan #bug

Art Kocsis

On 12-04-2020 13:25, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 6:53 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Based on your (Mark's) reply at https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/27017 I've done a little further checking (with assistance from Shal).  It turns out that if anyone has made a payment for a group, none of the other owners can see the View/Change Plan page without entering a CC number to set themselves as payor, removing the original payor.  Until a payment is made, any owner can see the page.
Yep, you're right. I had mis-read my own source code (I blame my glasses). Here was my thought process:
- Only the person 'on the hook' to pay for the group should be able to change the group plan.
- If you want to set yourself as the person paying for the group, we need a credit card. That's how it works when you initially upgrade your group. If we don't have a credit card, we can't charge you....
Hope this makes sense.

Not completely.

While there is rational for requiring a CC to CHANGE a group's status, all owners should be able to VIEW a group's status including the name/ID of the current "payor". In addition, there should be a clear notice and distinction between just entering CC info ("You will not be charged until ...) and an actual billable transaction. There have been numerous examples of problems and confusion over payments and conversions when the original payor is unavailable.

BTW, mouse-over context sensitive help (or a help link), would be a tremendous boon the GIO UI.

Art

Duane

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 03:26 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
- Only the person 'on the hook' to pay for the group should be able to change the group plan.
- If you want to set yourself as the person paying for the group, we need a credit card. That's how it works when you initially upgrade your group. If we don't have a credit card, we can't charge you
I do see the logic here, though it may need to be tweaked a little.  I believe that the group we were discussing on GMF wanted to downgrade to Basic, but the owner had died.  First, the 'new' owner removed the member, but wasn't sure that would keep the card from being charged.  There was a flurry of activity to be sure the credit card he used was canceled, even though his widow was using the same card.  The 'new' owner couldn't understand why he needed to enter CC information to downgrade.  All worked out okay though.  He entered the CC, did the downgrade, and removed the CC.  Now we should be prepared with the correct information if/when it happens again.