moderated #bug event times in /feed are all 8 hours out #bug

Malcolm Austen

I have changed a few settings and found it all seems to be good Mark. In the course of my checking, you must have been changing the code because my comments about 'all day' and the date format got fixed in the course of my checks.

I guess you can take a coffee break and move on to the next problem :-)

Thanks, Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

On 17/02/2021 22:44:18, Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark, I will give it a proper look, with some varying settings of time zones, tomorrow.

On a very quick look, it seems good. I have two comments though ...

1. for 'all day' events, you are showing the time (as 00:00) which wasn't shown before and probably should not be showing now.

2. the new coding still ignores my preference setting for the date display. This is unchanged from before so may be intended? If it is intended, I will submit it as a separate bug :-)

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

On 17/02/2021 21:00:15, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

I've made some substantial changes in both how our javascript helper files are delivered as well as the code to display the actual event times. Please let me know if that fixes the problem.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 2:44 PM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
Thanks Mark, I will give it a proper look, with some varying settings of time zones, tomorrow.

On a very quick look, it seems good. I have two comments though ...

1. for 'all day' events, you are showing the time (as 00:00) which wasn't shown before and probably should not be showing now.

2. the new coding still ignores my preference setting for the date display. This is unchanged from before so may be intended? If it is intended, I will submit it as a separate bug :-)

Both of these issues should be fixed now.

Jeremy H

I've had a look - seems to be ok now, thanks, I am seeing correct times on feed.

But there is an issue over 'all day' events - which in many ways - goes beyond this topic.

For an event in 'my' time zone it shows - as Malcolm says - with a time of 00:00 (midnight), e.g "Feb 20, 2021 00:00  all day         All day test" . But setting my zone to -3 hours relatively  (so UTC-3 for an event set up on UTC), I see "Feb 19, 2021 21:00  all day         All day test"

This goes to the basics of what an 'all day' event is: is it something which is 'midnight to midnight' on local time, in some time zone (and which will be - correctly - some other times in a different zone, and spread over two days) or is it something that is 'time less' - that is happening whenever it that date, regardless of what the time is, or what the time zone is (and so will be for a duration (over the full range of zones, from UTC-11 to UTC+14) of 51 hours.

Observations: for anywhere observing Daylight Saving Time, annually they have a day of 25  hours, and another of 23 hours. And, for anyone born sufficiently close to midnight, their birthday (strictly, based on birth time) will change with time zone,

As I said - beyond this topic.

Jeremy

Malcolm Austen

[...]

Mark,

In trying to look at this afresh, as far as I can see we are now being delivered the old copy of this javascript file - without the change you made (see below). I have run closed all browsers and Ccleaner (and rebooted too) and still see the old javascript in two browsers.

Can you check the file that you are serving up please?

Thanks, Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

On 12/12/2020 04:48:36, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
At risk of making a fool of myself, I think I have spotted it as a bug in https://groups.io/js/displaytime-0.2.6.js

function DisplayEventTime(t, tzstr, dateFormat, timeFormat) {
    if (t == 0) {
        return '';
    }
    if (typeof tzstr === 'undefined' || tzstr == '') {
        tzstr = '';
        momentDay = moment(t);
    } else {
        momentDay = moment(t).tz(tzstr);
<snip>
should, I suspect, have that last line before the snip as                  momentDay = moment.tz(t,tzstr)
- that's what the matching line looks like in the other, similar functions in that file.

You might be right. I've been unable to reproduce the bug, try as I might. I've made the change to this line of code, please let me know if it fixes the problem for you. You may need to do a force reload; hold down the shift key while clicking the browser refresh button.

Malcolm Austen

I think I may have just got to the bottom of this. At least to the bottom of the cause of the bug if not to the actual fixes needed.

With my account set to UTC, I was seeing events in /feed showing 8 hours out BUT if I set my timezone in Windows 10 to PST, the display in /feed is correct.

So Mark, I venture to suggest that the reason you cannot reproduce the bug is that, even when you change your account time to UTC, you still have your OS time set to PST.

Well, that's my best guess to date anyway, Malcollm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

Jeremy H

Trying this on my systems. I seem to have the bug (times of of events coming up as PST in Feed, although my profile  and calendar are set to UTC) on all of them - using Linux or Windows, Firefox or Edge.

But, looking (1) Feed does not (unlike 'My Calendar') have a Timezone setting dropdown (is this relevent?)
(2) looking at  https://groups.io/js/displaytime-0.2.6.js (as in post #27035) there is a "function DisplayFeedTime" (with "momentDay = moment.tz(t, tzstr);" ) and a "function DisplayEventTime" (with "momentDay = moment(t).tz(tzstr);"  - methinks they ought to be the same, even if I can't say which is correct.

Jeremy

Malcolm Austen

Just an aside on a completely different issue ... (to raise in GM<F perhaps)

The left column of my pasted table of browser and OS details was black text on white in my sent folder and in my inbox when it came back from GIO ... but in the web interface that left column is displayed white text on white!

Malcolm.

Malcolm Austen

Hmm, the left column of the table went missing en-route to GIO, here it is, with <Ctrl-Shft-V>

Vivaldi 3.5.2115.87 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision 63862004ac4fa761fcf3c744cd6ac9ef44284b9c
OS Windows 10 OS Version 1909 (Build 18363.1316)
JavaScript V8 8.7.220.31
Flash (Disabled)
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.142 Safari/537.36

Duane

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
What browser and operating system are you using?
On mine, it's Win7 Home Premium with FF 84.0.2, both 64 bit, everything set to CST.  I thought this problem might have something to do with my ISP, so I took my laptop to town and connected on another service - no help.  I don't use the Feed much, so not a major concern here, just curiosity now.  I've almost decided it may just be one of the joys of living in the boonies. ;>)

Duane

Malcolm Austen

On 25/01/2021 17:54:28, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:22 AM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
Just to continue this ...

I'm logged in with my TZ set to UTC.
I created an event for 19:00 on Monday 25th.
It showed immediately in the calendar as 19:00 on the 25th.
I went straight away to /feed where it showed as 11:00.

Very strange. I cannot reproduce this.

What browser and operating system are you using?
Malcolm Austen:
I use Vivaldi on Win 10 Mark - details below. Vivaldi is Chromium based. I'll try it again in other browsers (Edge, FF, Chrome, Opera) but not until tomorrow now, I have a zoom meeting this evening.

Thanks, Malcolm.

Vivaldi3.5.2115.87 (Stable channel) (64-bit)
Revision63862004ac4fa761fcf3c744cd6ac9ef44284b9c
OSWindows 10 OS Version 1909 (Build 18363.1316)
JavaScriptV8 8.7.220.31
Flash(Disabled)
User AgentMozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.142 Safari/537.36

I'll

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:22 AM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
Just to continue this ...

I'm logged in with my TZ set to UTC.
I created an event for 19:00 on Monday 25th.
It showed immediately in the calendar as 19:00 on the 25th.
I went straight away to /feed where it showed as 11:00.

Very strange. I cannot reproduce this.

What browser and operating system are you using?

Malcolm Austen

Just to continue this ...

I'm logged in with my TZ set to UTC.
I created an event for 19:00 on Monday 25th.
It showed immediately in the calendar as 19:00 on the 25th.
I went straight away to /feed where it showed as 11:00.

I fear this is going to take more than one of your mythical coffee breaks Mark ;-(

Keep safe, Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

Malcolm Austen

On 15/01/2021 21:08:33, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Malcolm,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:11 AM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
I'm afraid it isn't fixed for the instance I'm looking at Mark. I tried all the reloads, with <ctrl>, to no avail so when I shut down last night I allowed ccleaner to do a full clear-out of cache and cookies. The issue is still there this morning - one event in the [sogvols] groups scheduled for 15:00 UTC but showing in the feed for UTC logins as being at 07:00.

I checked your account, and you had your timezone set to Pacific time (see https://groups.io/account?page=prefs). I reset that to UTC, and the time listed for that event in the /feed page now matches expectations. Please check and let me know what you see.
Malcolm Austen:
Hi Mark, yes, I set it to PST to check what effect it had on the /feed display. That moved the event to showing as 23:00, now my account is back to UTC, the event shows as 07:00 but the event itself is scheduled for 15:00 UTC.

I just set my own account forward to AWST (Pert, UTC+8) and, sas I expected, the event now shows in /feed at 15:00 bit the calendar view (correctly) shows the event as 23:00.

Sorry Mark, the display doesn't match my expectations :-) whereas the calendar display does.

On 15/01/2021 16:10:18, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 05:11 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
I'm afraid it isn't fixed for the instance I'm looking at Mark.
In an effort to assist with troubleshooting, and to make sure it wasn't just me, I loaded up another browser - still wrong.  I went into my Preferences and changed it to PST, then everything was 2 hours earlier on the feed, so the logic is correct, but it's confused about my time zone.  Something very strange going on.
Malcolm Austen:
Indeed Duane. I believe that in a previous test, several weeks ago, I found that the event showed in /feed in PST regardless of my own time zone. Now it shows as 8 hours earlier than it should irrespective of my time zone (well, OK, I only checked with my TZ set to UTC and PST, the 15:00 UTC event showed as 07:00 when my YZ was UTC and 23:00 when my TZ was set to PST.

So I'm afraid that Mark's change has changed the effect but not actually cured it ...
My regular browser is FF 84, but the test was done with IE 11.  Both on Win7 Home Premium.  (I even pulled out my laptop with Linux and FF on it - still wrong.)
Malcolm Austen:
Vivaldi (latest public release, it's Chromium based) on Win10 here. I can try Edge, FF, Opera and Chrome but they gave the same results a few weeks ago.

Malcolm.

Duane

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 05:11 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
I'm afraid it isn't fixed for the instance I'm looking at Mark.
In an effort to assist with troubleshooting, and to make sure it wasn't just me, I loaded up another browser - still wrong.  I went into my Preferences and changed it to PST, then everything was 2 hours earlier on the feed, so the logic is correct, but it's confused about my time zone.  Something very strange going on.

My regular browser is FF 84, but the test was done with IE 11.  Both on Win7 Home Premium.  (I even pulled out my laptop with Linux and FF on it - still wrong.)

Duane

Duane,

No, I'm on Central time (verified setting) as I mentioned a bit
earlier
Oops, so I was confused.

Now I remember. I got distracted when I was thinking of SQUIRREL ...
... changing my time display format to 24-hours.

Alas. No joy.

03:05 while on Eastern, 02:00 while on central. Same as Mark's result.

Edge Version 87.0.664.75 (Official build) (64-bit), Win10 Pro Build 19041.746 - not that I think either of those could matter.

Shal

Malcolm Austen

I'm afraid it isn't fixed for the instance I'm looking at Mark. I tried all the reloads, with <ctrl>, to no avail so when I shut down last night I allowed ccleaner to do a full clear-out of cache and cookies. The issue is still there this morning - one event in the [sogvols] groups scheduled for 15:00 UTC but showing in the feed for UTC logins as being at 07:00.

Keep safe, Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>

On 14/01/2021 21:58:00, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hello,

This has been fixed now. You may need to do a force reload (hold down the shift key while clicking the browser reload button).