moderated Calendar shows different times for a meeting #bug

Ry Jones

Hi,
At least one of our groups has a weird calendar issue: the time shown for events is different between refreshes. Karen has recorded a video showing several issues.

I was able to recreate the flip-flopping by refreshing the page a few times, making no edits between. See attached.
Ry
--
Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger

Sandi D <sandi.asgtechie@...>

I stopped using the calendar because this was happening in our group as well. I didn't want to take the time to sort it out. The first time I thought it was my error as I never used Calendar option before. The second time it happened I thought maybe I had incorrectly set the time zone. The third time I double and triple checked everything before posting the event. That was the last straw. After searching GIO, I didn't see where anyone else had reported it. I chalked it up to something weird and not worth my time to explore. Switched to using my personal calendar to generate a post to the group.
I watched your recording and was relieved to learn I am not alone.
--
Sandi Dickenson
ASG Volunteers Group.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 06:25 AM, Sandi D wrote:
I stopped using the calendar because this was happening in our group as well. I didn't want to take the time to sort it out.
Sandi -- I find that the calendar features work very well as long as I steer clear of recurring events.

Ry -- Is this a recurring event? If so, it may be related to the recent "fall back" to standard time.

Regards,
Bruce

Hello Ry,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 12:34 PM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
Hi,
At least one of our groups has a weird calendar issue: the time shown for events is different between refreshes. Karen has recorded a video showing several issues.

I was able to recreate the flip-flopping by refreshing the page a few times, making no edits between. See attached.

Thanks for the bug report, and thanks to Karen for taking the time to make that video; it was very helpful. There were two issues:

First, when hovering over an event in the calendar view, we display the time in the user's local timezone. But we also displayed the event's (possibly different) timezone. That's confusing and doesn't make much sense. I've removed the timezone display in the hover.

The second issue with the event times flip-flopping sometimes was caused by some of our webservers not running the latest timezone database. It looks like Brazil abolished DST in 2019; I believe the timezone database we were using on some of the machines had not been updated with this change. I've updated all of the machines, and they are all now showing the same times. This means that the time for the event that Karen referenced in her video is between 5:30pm-6:30pm Brasilia time (UTC-03:00).

Sorry you were hit with these problems; please let me know if you have any questions.

Ry Jones

Mark,
Thanks for the fix.
Ry

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 9:31 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mdivine <nextdoorsb@...>

May be related or not. I have reoccurring event starts at 9am
But show on the feed page in upcoming events as 8am
in AZ so maybe a daylight savings issue related to AZ time zone?

Mdivine

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 8:18 PM Mdivine <nextdoorsb@...> wrote:
May be related or not. I have reoccurring event starts at 9am
But show on the feed page in upcoming events as 8am
in AZ so maybe a daylight savings issue related to AZ time zone?

I'm not able to reproduce this. Is this when you're viewing the feed as the account you sent this message from?

Sandi D <sandi.asgtechie@...>

None recurring. Tried in May, July and Sep so DST was not affecting it. Thanks to Karen for video and Marks ability to sort out and resolve.
--
Sandi Dickenson
ASG Volunteers Group.

Mdivine <nextdoorsb@...>

Mark

it is when viewing my feed page. After clicking on Groups.io logo upper left. Page that shows my groups.

“upcoming events”  see pic. Shows all as 0800.

When I click on my calendar shows correct time on the actual calendar. See pic

Kenny Paul

First, when hovering over an event in the calendar view, we display the time in the user's local timezone. But we also displayed the event's (possibly different) timezone. That's confusing and doesn't make much sense. I've removed the timezone display in the hover.
Thanks Mark! That was also on my, "I need to report this" list. :-)
--
Kenny Paul, Technical Program Manager for ONAP
The Linux Foundation