Topics

moderated Site updates #changelog

Dave Sergeant

This type of unsubscribe request fails if the email program adds a
signature to postings, like mine do. Some email lists recognise 'stop'
after the 'unsubscribe' as a command to ignore everything that follows.

eg

unsubscribe
stop

Fred Blogs site link

Dave

On 7 Nov 2020 at 9:04, JohnF via groups.io wrote:

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 10:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

NEW: If you send a message with just the word 'unsubscribe' and
nothing else to a group, we now treat it as an unsubscribe request,
like sending a message to +unsubscribe (still requires confirmation).
As long as you confirm it, you might want to do the same thing if
someone sends the word "stop". This isn't traditionally used in
stopping email lists, but it has become standard in stopping SMS lists.
Someone who is more used to texting than joining email lists might try
that. (I don't have any real life examples of someone who did, just
thinking ahead.)

JohnF

http://davesergeant.com

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 10:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

NEW: If you send a message with just the word 'unsubscribe' and nothing else
to a group, we now treat it as an unsubscribe request, like sending a message
to +unsubscribe (still requires confirmation).
As long as you confirm it, you might want to do the same thing if someone sends the word "stop". This isn't traditionally used in stopping email lists, but it has become standard in stopping SMS lists. Someone who is more used to texting than joining email lists might try that. (I don't have any real life examples of someone who did, just thinking ahead.)

JohnF

Changes to the site this week:

  • DOCS: Updates from Nina.
  • CHANGE: Login links in direct add emails now expire after 24 hours, to match the time frame we use when sending a login link.
  • BUGFIX: If there's only one photo album, disable the Move button when viewing a photo.
  • NEW: If you send a message with just the word 'unsubscribe' and nothing else to a group, we now treat it as an unsubscribe request, like sending a message to +unsubscribe (still requires confirmation).
  • BUGFIX: When following a topic, we send out all existing messages. We were not adding the group subject tag to the messages.
  • NEW: On the /topic and /message pages, there now is a Follow/Unfollow/Mute/Unmute button.
  • CHANGE: Changed 'Reason' column title in the Past Members page to 'History'.

Take care everyone.

Mark