moderated Summary email has subject "digestnoreply" #bug

One last note on this, for anyone on an iPhone: It turns out that ios 14.1 fixes the "sends from wrong email address" bug. The bug was in 14.0. However, the fix results in the "name" part of the email being left out of emails from donotreply mass emails. That was the original source of my post here. The wrong-from-address occurred the day before and I noticed it in the morning.

Anyway, end of story except that on iPhones, summary and digest messages from groups.io now have strange-looking from addresses, by virtue of lacking the name of the group they're about.

One point that's not OT: moderators may want to be on the alert for a lot of attempted posts by "non-members," which are actually just members using their iPhones and thinking that they're sending a message from one email address whereas actually it's going out as being from another.

This is a very, VERY bad and dangerous bug. People are reporting having no control over what email address their messages are going out under, with some bad and possibly embarrassing results (private emails being sent to work and vice versa, etc).

This is now OT for beta, but this seems to be related to what I'm experiencing, although I'm not (consciously) using aliases. From one of the forums:

"...there appears to be an issue with all email accounts that have an associated alias that causes the Mail app to pick a random "From" address.

There seems to be no fix or workaround at this time aside from disabling aliases, and as pointed out on the MacRumors forums, the problem continues to persist in the iOS 14.2 update that's in beta testing. We expect iOS 14.2 to be in beta for at least another few weeks (likely until the iPhone 12 models launch) so there's time for Apple to add additional bug fixes.

Update: Early reports suggest that the second iOS 14.2 beta provided to developers on September 29 fixes the email alias bug."

Hopefully end of story.

And to further the point that this has nothing to do with digests: the email from digestnoreoly@groups.io was not a digest. It was a daily summary. It seems that Mark just happens to use that address for both digests and daily summaries.

On Nov 3, 2020, at 2:21 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Guys, guys. This has NOTHING to do with replying to digests. Nothing to do with that other thread about the group member who couldn't reply to digests (which turned out to be a Thunderbird bug).

This is an iPhone bug. There are two parts to it:

1. The phone inserts the wrong email address into emails I try to send to a group, resulting in my emails bouncing from the group because that email address is not a subscriber. (In one harrowing case, it inserted my real-name email address into a message to a group that allowed posts from non-members, and in which I wanted to remain anonymous.) This is in responding to a regular, garden-variety message. Nothing to do with digests.

2. The phone leaves out the "name" part of the email address in emails it sends to me from what seem to be "noreply" email addresses. The two examples I have are (1) a groups.io email coming from [groupname]<digestnoreply@groups.io>. The fact that the word "digest" is in the email address has nothing to do with anything here. I was not trying to respond to it. The phone made the From address into <digestnoreply@groups.io>, leaving out the name. (2) a no-reply email from the USGS about an earthquake. I strongly suspect that the no-reply feature of the email is the criterion for when it does this.

I looked around and apparently ios14 and 14.1 (which I was updated to last night) are notoriously buggy, although I have yet to see these particular bugs reported.

[...]

Alex Stone

I completely agree with that!

One of the things I disliked about Yahoo Groups was all the replies that would come in with a subject line of "Groupname Digest #332." I'm happy that groups.io doesn't allow it, and would not want that behavior to change.
Bruce

I hear you, but SOMEtimes, "
Groupname Digest #332" is exactly correct. It's been too long to remember the reasons, but I'd use it in half the lists about twice per year.

Some folks don't change Subjects/Topics, too - and a Mod can step in with a reminder, and mention some additional thing, (or 2 or 3,) as well... which takes care of Item #2 and diffuses embarrassment over Item#1. If it gets really bad it's just by 1 or 2 members, they are usually weak in other areas too, so Moderation "curbs their enthusiasm..." and their rush. They then improve overall.

BillSF9c

billsf9c

One of the things I disliked about Yahoo Groups was all the replies that would come in with a subject line of "Groupname Digest #332." I'm happy that groups.io doesn't allow it, and would not want that behavior to change.
Bruce

I hear you, but SOMEtimes, "
Groupname Digest #332" is exactly correct. It's been too long to remember the reasons, but I'd use it in half the lists about twice per year.

Some folks don't change Subjects/Topics, too - and a Mod can step in with a reminder, and mention some additional thing, (or 2 or 3,) as well... which takes care of Item #2 and diffuses embarrassment over Item#1. If it gets really bad it's just by 1 or 2 members, they are usually weak in other areas too, so Moderation "curbs their enthusiasm..." and their rush. They then improve overall.

BillSF9c

Typo, I’m ONTO it.

On Nov 3, 2020, at 12:57 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

ps It went thru. The phone seems to plug in the From address of whichever address I used last. I’m into it now!

On Nov 3, 2020, at 12:55 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Not making this clear. I’m not trying to respond to a digest. I’m talking about individual messages, like this one. The phone puts the wrong Fron address on my email and it bounced. Let’s see if this goes through. The other bug is that the phone puts the wrong From address on emails it sends ME.

On Nov 3, 2020, at 12:53 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 01:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm going to look around and see if this is a known bug.
J -- I wouldn't call it a bug at all. You're not supposed to reply to a digest. You're supposed to reply to a message within the digest.

One of the things I disliked about Yahoo Groups was all the replies that would come in with a subject line of "Groupname Digest #332." I'm happy that groups.io doesn't allow it, and would not want that behavior to change.

Regards,
Bruce

[...]

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 01:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm going to look around and see if this is a known bug.
J -- I wouldn't call it a bug at all. You're not supposed to reply to a digest. You're supposed to reply to a message within the digest.

One of the things I disliked about Yahoo Groups was all the replies that would come in with a subject line of "Groupname Digest #332." I'm happy that groups.io doesn't allow it, and would not want that behavior to change.

Regards,
Bruce

Bingo. It's definitely the phone. My USGS earthquake notification displays the same characteristic, but only on the phone.

Plus, I've tried twice to reply to this thread from the phone, and both times, it bounced. Even though I was replying from the email address I use for this account, the phone put the From address as my other email address, which is not a member of this group. It seems I can no longer (at this point, until they fix this) reply to groups.io messages from my iPhone.

I'm going to look around and see if this is a known bug.

Could something have changed on the iPhone mail program? Just remembered there was a major update overnight.

On Nov 3, 2020, at 8:46 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Mark,

My reporting of this has a slight error. It's the From address in the email that's weird. On my mac, the From address is as normal:
Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma@groups.io<digestnoreply@groups.io>

But on my iPhone, it's lacking the name "Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma@groups.io and just says straightup
digestnoreply@groups.io

I've never seen this before, to the extent that the text on my phone was startling to me.

Mark,

My reporting of this has a slight error. It's the From address in the email that's weird. On my mac, the From address is as normal:
Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma@groups.io<digestnoreply@groups.io>

But on my iPhone, it's lacking the name "Feline_Smallcell_Lymphoma@groups.io and just says straightup
digestnoreply@groups.io

I've never seen this before, to the extent that the text on my phone was startling to me.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 8:02 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Starting today, the summary is going out as "digestnoreply." It used to be called "[group name] - Daily Summary."

This is in the subject of the summary? I haven't made any changes to summaries in quite some time. Is anyone else seeing this?

Starting today, the summary is going out as "digestnoreply." It used to be called "[group name] - Daily Summary."