Topics

moderated Sort Admin menu sub-items #suggestion

One more suggestion: Make the list order customizable by user. That is, have some default, for new users or users not logged in but viewing a public group, and allow the user to change the list order. The same order would apply to all of the user's groups where the options are available. If a new feature is added, it can default to near the top or near the bottom of the list, depending on how much you want to promote the feature.

JohnF

I totally agree. Right now it looks completely random from the perspective of some users (including me). Alphabetical at least is simple and unsurprising.

On Nov 2, 2020, at 5:52 AM, Mark Murphy <mark@...> wrote:

My suggestion is also about expectation. In choosing from a list of 13 separate actions, I believe most people expect the list to be ordered in some way: most recently used, most often used, alphabetical, by functional group, etc. Look at any commonly used multi-level menu UI such as Word or Excel, for examples.

I think we can disagree about how the list should be ordered. Alphabetical makes sense to me.

Mark Murphy

My suggestion is also about expectation. In choosing from a list of 13 separate actions, I believe most people expect the list to be ordered in some way: most recently used, most often used, alphabetical, by functional group, etc. Look at any commonly used multi-level menu UI such as Word or Excel, for examples.

I think we can disagree about how the list should be ordered. Alphabetical makes sense to me.

I was about to make that same point about unmoderated groups.

On Nov 1, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

J,

Huh? Order of most frequent use by whom? The most common thing I do is check the activity log, which almost at the very bottom, also against its rightful place in the alphabet. It took me awhile to get used to that.
Yeah, not to mention that if one's group is unmoderated, the (first) Pending link is pretty-much useless.

I also would like to see some of the links rearranged, but not alphabetically though, usage-wise as Bruce suggested.  My fishy personal preference would be having these at the top: Activity, Pending, Members, Settings, Subgroups and Usage, then the rest, Invite, DirectAdd, Integrations, Aliases, Domains, Donations.

Cheers,
Christos

J,

Huh? Order of most frequent use by whom? The most common thing I do is check the activity log, which almost at the very bottom, also against its rightful place in the alphabet. It took me awhile to get used to that.
Yeah, not to mention that if one's group is unmoderated, the (first) Pending link is pretty-much useless.

I also would like to see some of the links rearranged, but not alphabetically though, usage-wise as Bruce suggested.  My fishy personal preference would be having these at the top: Activity, Pending, Members, Settings, Subgroups and Usage, then the rest, Invite, DirectAdd, Integrations, Aliases, Domains, Donations.

Cheers,
Christos

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 11:11 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
seems to be in order of most frequent use.
Huh? Order of most frequent use by whom? The most common thing I do is check the activity log, which almost at the very bottom, also against its rightful place in the alphabet. It took me awhile to get used to that.

Judy F.

Then possibly have it as an option.  I like the suggestion and have wondered about that for a long time.  I use Photos, Messages and Files far more than I do those that are appearing first in the list.

Thank you,
Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 02:11 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 09:46 AM, Mark Murphy wrote:
May I suggest sorting the sub-items on the Admin menu alphabetically to help in selection?
The current arrangement seems to be in order of most frequent use. I prefer it that way.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 09:46 AM, Mark Murphy wrote:
May I suggest sorting the sub-items on the Admin menu alphabetically to help in selection?
The current arrangement seems to be in order of most frequent use. I prefer it that way.

Regards,
Bruce

Mark Murphy

May I suggest sorting the sub-items on the Admin menu alphabetically to help in selection?

Thank you.