Topics

An easy way to reduce blacklisting #misc

Many people think that reporting a subscription email as spam will cause the sender to take them off the list -- which is not the case.

All that generally does is to increment a counter in their email provider's anti-spam system. If a high enough percentage of recipients flag emails from a certain source as spam, their email provider will automatically block all posts sent to all users from that source -- and may report that info to Spamhaus and other public or private blacklist databases. 

Now that most people read email on devices with phones and tablets that have small screens, they don't even see the "unsubscribe" link in an email unless they know to scroll down and find the link -- which is often in tiny, faint gray type on a gray background.

The "Unsubscribe" link in Groups.io is readily readable, which is good, but it is still off the screen for many users.

What if the "Unsubscribe" or "Your Subscription" link were duplicated at the start of each email? 

--cg

I like this idea, but it would also help if there was greater contrast on the website and group links within emails.

Duane

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 07:40 AM, Curt Gowan wrote:
Many people think that reporting a subscription email as spam will cause the sender to take them off the list -- which is not the case.
It actually IS the case at GIO if the email service uses an FBL that GIO subscribes to.  I know that Mark has subscribed to most of them, but there may be some smaller services using them that he's not aware of yet.

Duane

Curt Gowan, HPAA Operations

Thanks @Duane for introducing me to FBLs. Found this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedback_loop_(email)