Topics

moderated Problems replying to digest messages? #misc

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 06:59 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:
your efforts have not been in vain
OUR efforts. :)

West Coast Compañeros Staff

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 08:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

And for the denouement, the group member, who was determined to blame this on groups.io and kept wailing to me about how she "could always reply to digests in yahoo," was in the end totally insouciant about my efforts to figure out her problem and the determination that it was a TB, not a groups.io, bug.

J,

No good deed goes unpunished. Fortunately, this topic may be of help to other Thunderbird users who are in the same boat, so your efforts have not been in vain.

Robert

Duane

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 08:19 AM, ro-esp wrote:
Click "reply to this message", click the "balloon" to quote.
That means that you're replying online, not from within TB.  That's the only place you'd get the "balloon" to quote.

Duane

ro-esp

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 03:40 AM, Shal Farley wrote:

Robert,

> I'm somewhat surprised that Groups.io members who use Thunderbird,
> e.g. Shal, haven't run into this problem before. Maybe, like me, they
> rarely if ever use the digest footer links to "Reply to Group" or
> "Reply to Sender." I usually reply to individual messages using e-mail
> and use the Groups.io web interface to reply to a digest message..

Bingo.

I almost never use the footer links in either individual or digest
messages. Specifically because I inline reply with quote, as herein, and
the footer links don't give me a copy of the original message to work
with. So in individual messages I use Thunderbird's Reply button. In the
rare case of replying to a Digest I probably would go on site.
This is confusing. I do inline quoting (interspersing) all the time when replying to (plain) digests. Click "reply to this message", click the "balloon" to quote...

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Mark,

I wrote:
I just updated from 68.12.1 (32-bit) to 78.4.0 (32-bit) and I don't
get my pop-open windows anymore. Just the blank page.
I've done some testing and it seems to relate to the <a> element wrapped around the mailto link:

<a target=3D"_blank" href=3D"...">Reply To Group</a>
In particular, the target="_blank" attribute seems to be the troublemaker. Absent that the enclosed mailto: seems to work fine, and opens a new composition window.

That still makes it a Thunderbird bug, unless there's some reason one isn't supposed to combine target with a mailto: protocol in the href. Which seems like an unlikely restriction. But it may explain how it got through testing if that's an unusual construction.

Shal
(For those following along at home, the "=3D" sequences in the example are just equal signs, in quoted-printable form. A consequence of me copying from a view source of the HTML message body.)

And for the denouement, the group member, who was determined to blame this on groups.io and kept wailing to me about how she "could always reply to digests in yahoo," was in the end totally insouciant about my efforts to figure out her problem and the determination that it was a TB, not a groups.io, bug. I think she was disappointed. I told her she could report the bug to TB if she was so inclined and gave her the verbiage to describe it to them. She just shrugged it off and said, "There will be another version soon." I resisted the urge to say "you're welcome" lol.

J,

We're way ahead of you.:) Herb G determined that it's a bug in the
most recent TB upgrade. The last version didn't do it.
So you are.

I just updated from 68.12.1 (32-bit) to 78.4.0 (32-bit) and I don't get my pop-open windows anymore. Just the blank page.

Shal

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 07:40 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm more and more persuaded that this is a Thunderbird bug and not a
Groups.io bug.
You're probably right there.
[...]

Thunderbird does not encode the links in the mailto: Subject line at
all. Spaces are spaces.
I don't think that's the problem. That is, I think Thunderbird is just showing you human readable form when you hover.

My experience is weirdly different though.

For me, if I'm reading the message in the preview pane (as I usually do) in either individual or digest, clicking on either the Reply to Group link or Reply to Sender, link gets me an open compose window, with the From, To, and Subject correctly filled in.

But, it also gives me a new tab on the main Thunderbird window, and that tab sits there blank with the tab label saying "Loading...".

Weirdly if I open the message into its own window I get inconsistent results, sometimes correct, sometimes absent To and Subject. So maybe the user's experience of this bug depends on some setting or view layout in Thunderbird.

Shal

Messsges crossing. This is great info! Thanks!!!

On Oct 30, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Herb Gellis <herbg@...> wrote:

Me again... I upgraded to Thunderbird 78.4.0 (32-bit) and now clicking on those Reply to Group (or also Sender) links did nada! So, clearly this new release has broken something.

-Herb Gellis

So it’s working in that version. Interesting data point. Curious to see what happens when you “update.” 😊 Let us know!

On Oct 30, 2020, at 10:00 AM, Herb Gellis <herbg@...> wrote:

 Not wishing the swell the ranks of replies, but as a test (since I use Thunderbird on Windows), I clicked the link on this from the beta digest I receive. I have version 68.12.1 (32-bit). It says I can update to that 78.4.0, which I will momentarily.

-Herb Gellis

Herb Gellis

Me again... I upgraded to Thunderbird 78.4.0 (32-bit) and now clicking on those Reply to Group (or also Sender) links did nada! So, clearly this new release has broken something.

-Herb Gellis

Herb Gellis

Not wishing the swell the ranks of replies, but as a test (since I use Thunderbird on Windows), I clicked the link on this from the beta digest I receive. I have version 68.12.1 (32-bit). It says I can update to that 78.4.0, which I will momentarily.

-Herb Gellis

I'm happy to terminate the thread (was happy to terminate it long ago) but that's up to Mark.
The group member is a savvy internet user and frequently logs in to post to the group. She just wants to use the digest, for some unknown reason.
Thanks.

West Coast Compañeros Staff

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 03:45 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
BTW I never knew anything about TB before this, but when I looked it up I found that Mozilla no longer owns it. Or something. You probably know more about this than I do.
J,

You're right either way. Thunderbird now belongs to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mozilla. I'm somewhat surprised that Groups.io members who use Thunderbird, e.g. Shal, haven't run into this problem before. Maybe, like me, they rarely if ever use the digest footer links to "Reply to Group" or "Reply to Sender." I usually reply to individual messages using e-mail and use the Groups.io web interface to reply to a digest message..

I'm more and more persuaded that this is a Thunderbird bug and not a Groups.io bug. Apple's Mail program encodes the footer "Reply to" links properly with ASCII codes. For example, spaces in the mailto: Subject line are replaced by %20. Thunderbird does not encode the links in the mailto: Subject line at all. Spaces are spaces. Since its likely that this bug comes from Thunderbird and not Groups.io, we should terminate this thread in beta.

The best workaround for your member trying to reply to a single message in a digest is for her to use the "View/Reply Online" link in the message footer. You may have to help her learn to log in to Groups.io and then point out the web interface buttons "Reply to Group" and "Private" to reply to the sender.

Robert R.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 08:03 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:
I can't find any mention of this bug on Mozilla's support site for Thunderbird, but the site is a pretty confusing maze.
BTW I never knew anything about TB before this, but when I looked it up I found that Mozilla no longer owns it. Or something. You probably know more about this than I do.

"TB for Windows 78.4.0 (64-bit)"

Asking her now. Thanks.

On Oct 29, 2020, at 8:03 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff <westcoastcompaneros@...> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:32 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:
On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 04:47 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via email within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
"When I click on Reply to Group on the message it opens a completely blank new tab in my email program (Thunderbird) (not even send etc. fields) and I can't use it to respond. Any idea what's going on? I used to be able to respond directly from the messages or digests in Yahoo and I'm pretty sure I've done so in io also, but for a while now this is how it's behaved."
J,

I can reproduce this error using the current release of Thunderbird for Macintosh, version 78.4.0. It happens whenever I try to reply to a message using the footer links (either Reply to Group or Reply to Sender), whether it is an individual message or in a digest. A new tab opens in Thunderbird with the title "Loading..." and nothing further happens. (See attached screenshot.) If this is not the case in Thunderbird for Windows, it would point to a bug in Thunderbird for Mac. If it also occurs in Thunderbird for Windows then I would be surprised that it has not been reported before now. In that case it could be a general Thunderbird bug or it could be due to the way Groups.io formulates the footer reply links.

The workarounds for an individual message is 1) to use the Thunderbird interface to reply to the group (or to the sender, if the individual's email address is known). or 2) to make the reply using the Groups.io web interface. The only way to reply to a message In a digest is to use the Groups.io web interface.

Robert R.
J,

Can you ask the member with the footer-link "Reply to Group" problem whether she is using Thunderbird for Windows or Thunderbird for Macintosh? A version number would also be useful. This bug is definitely occurring in the interaction between Thunderbird and Groups.io, and it will help to determine the source of the error if we know whether it also affects Windows users or is restricted to Mac users. So far I can't find any mention of this bug on Mozilla's support site for Thunderbird, but the site is a pretty confusing maze.

Robert R.

[...]

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 10:36 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
Any chance of a screenshot or two from the bottom of the digest?
Not sure what you mean. There's nothing unusual about the digest. Do you mean a screenshot of her blank Thunderbird windwo when she tries to reply?