Topics

moderated Problems replying to digest messages? #misc

I'm not sure whether or not this is a bug. I don't use the digest in any of my groups, so I am unfamiliar with the way it is supposed to work, but this seems to be a problem. A member of one of my groups complained to me about it and told me she noticed it recently and that "it didn't used to do this."

The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via email within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
"When I click on Reply to Group on the message it opens a completely blank new tab in my email program (Thunderbird) (not even send etc. fields) and I can't use it to respond. Any idea what's going on? I used to be able to respond directly from the messages or digests in Yahoo and I'm pretty sure I've done so in io also, but for a while now this is how it's behaved."

I suspected, but have not yet determined, that she may not have been logged into groups.io when she did this, or that she was logged into the wrong account. To test that, I set myself up to digest mode in my test group and sent 12 messages to generate a digest. I received the digest in my email (gmail under safari, not the safari mail program) and tried to reply to a message in it while being logged into a groups.io account that's not a member of that group. The message just went into a black hole. It does not appear anywhere except in the gmail sent file.

I then logged out and logged into the account that is a member of the group, and tried the same thing, and the message went through.

So to reply via email to a digest message, do you have to be logged into groups.io in that same browser in order for the message to post, and otherwise the message just disappears? This seems wrong. And what's going on with her Thunderbird email, which seems to behave in an even weird way? As I said, I still need to check to see whether she was logged into groups.io (and the "correct" account), but either way, there seems to be a problem, or problems, here.

West Coast Compañeros Staff

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 04:47 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I'm not sure whether or not this is a bug. I don't use the digest in any of my groups, so I am unfamiliar with the way it is supposed to work, but this seems to be a problem. A member of one of my groups complained to me about it and told me she noticed it recently and that "it didn't used to do this."

The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via email within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
"When I click on Reply to Group on the message it opens a completely blank new tab in my email program (Thunderbird) (not even send etc. fields) and I can't use it to respond. Any idea what's going on? I used to be able to respond directly from the messages or digests in Yahoo and I'm pretty sure I've done so in io also, but for a while now this is how it's behaved."
J,

I can reproduce this error using the current release of Thunderbird for Macintosh, version 78.4.0. It happens whenever I try to reply to a message using the footer links (either Reply to Group or Reply to Sender), whether it is an individual message or in a digest. A new tab opens in Thunderbird with the title "Loading..." and nothing further happens. (See attached screenshot.) If this is not the case in Thunderbird for Windows, it would point to a bug in Thunderbird for Mac. If it also occurs in Thunderbird for Windows then I would be surprised that it has not been reported before now. In that case it could be a general Thunderbird bug or it could be due to the way Groups.io formulates the footer reply links.

The workarounds for an individual message is 1) to use the Thunderbird interface to reply to the group (or to the sender, if the individual's email address is known). or 2) to make the reply using the Groups.io web interface. The only way to reply to a message In a digest is to use the Groups.io web interface.

Robert R.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 08:32 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:
I can reproduce this error using the current release of Thunderbird for Macintosh, version 78.4.0. It happens whenever I try to reply to a message using the footer links (either Reply to Group or Reply to Sender), whether it is an individual message or in a digest. A new tab opens in Thunderbird with the title "Loading..." and nothing further happens. (See attached screenshot.)
The attachment didn't make it into my previous message. Here it is.

Thanks, I’ll let her know.

On Oct 26, 2020, at 8:32 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff <westcoastcompaneros@...> wrote:

[...]

ro-esp

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 12:47 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via email
within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
" When I click on Reply to Group on the message
Why would you do that? that's supposed to take you to the iogroups-website.
If you want to reply from your own email, you click the "reply" of your email and delete the stuff in the digest that you don't reply to, and change the subjectline to that of the thread you are replying to.

So to reply via email to a digest message, do you have to be logged into
groups.io in that same browser in order for the message to post, and otherwise
the message just disappears?
If you click "reply to this message" it should take you to the website of the io-group, right away

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:07 AM, ro-esp wrote:
The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via email
within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
" When I click on Reply to Group on the message
Why would you do that? that's supposed to take you to the iogroups-website.
If you want to reply from your own email, you click the "reply" of your email and delete the stuff in the digest that you don't reply to, and change the subjectline to that of the thread you are replying to.
"Why would you do that"? Because the digest specifically says at the top "do not reply to this email. To reply click reply-to-group below any message." That is not the option that takes you to the site. That's a different option, "view/reply online." There is no "reply to this message" in a digest. There is only "view/reply online" and "reply to group."

ro-esp

From: J_Catlady <@J_Catlady>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 18:12:02 CET
On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 10:07 AM, ro-esp wrote:

The situation is that she's trying to reply to an individual message via
email
within a digest, and this is what she says happens:
" When I click on Reply to Group on the message
Why would you do that? that's supposed to take you to the
iogroups-website.
If you want to reply from your own email, you click the "reply" of your
email and delete the stuff in the digest that you don't reply to, and
change the subjectline to that of the thread you are replying to.
This is what I'm trying now

"Why would you do that"? Because the digest specifically says at the top "do not reply to this email.
Good point, but that's just MF's preference. In some cases replying to several messages in one thread at the same time makes sense

To reply click reply-to-group below
any message." That is not the option that takes you to the site.
It takes you to the part of the site where you compose your reply. At leas that's how it works in plain-digests

That's a different option, "view/reply online." There is no "reply to this message" in a digest.
I agree that there is no "reply to this digest" -link, but as a digest is an email-message, you can (ab)use the reply (and edit out the "noreply" thingy...IF YOU INSIST on replying by email)

Now let's see how this message is threaded

groetjes, Ronaldo

Judy F.

Maybe I'm missing something in this thread, but if she is only wanting to reply to one message in a digest, she should click on Reply to Sender and it will go directly to the person that wrote the original message.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

She doesn't want to reply to sender. She wants to post a reply in the group. In any case, for all I know that may not work for her either. I doubt Reply to Sender or Reply to Group has anything to do with this. Her email is just not handling a reply link.

ro-esp

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 07:59 PM, ro-esp wrote:

If you want to reply from your own email, you click the "reply" of
your
email and delete the stuff in the digest that you don't reply to, and
change the subjectline to that of the thread you are replying to.
and apparently, that does work, AND gets threaded properly.

I'm not sure whether the line
"Do not reply to this email. To reply to one of the messages in the digest, click on the link at the bottom of the message." should be changed

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Chris Jones

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 04:58 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Her email is just not handling a reply link.
Any chance of a screenshot or two from the bottom of the digest?

Chris

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 10:36 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
Any chance of a screenshot or two from the bottom of the digest?
Not sure what you mean. There's nothing unusual about the digest. Do you mean a screenshot of her blank Thunderbird windwo when she tries to reply?

[...]

Can you ask the member with the footer-link "Reply to Group" problem whether she is using Thunderbird for Windows or Thunderbird for Macintosh? A version number would also be useful. This bug is definitely occurring in the interaction between Thunderbird and Groups.io, and it will help to determine the source of the error if we know whether it also affects Windows users or is restricted to Mac users. So far I can't find any mention of this bug on Mozilla's support site for Thunderbird, but the site is a pretty confusing maze.

Robert R.

Asking her now. Thanks.

On Oct 29, 2020, at 8:03 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff <westcoastcompaneros@...> wrote:

[...]

"TB for Windows 78.4.0 (64-bit)"

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 08:03 AM, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:
I can't find any mention of this bug on Mozilla's support site for Thunderbird, but the site is a pretty confusing maze.
BTW I never knew anything about TB before this, but when I looked it up I found that Mozilla no longer owns it. Or something. You probably know more about this than I do.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 03:45 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
BTW I never knew anything about TB before this, but when I looked it up I found that Mozilla no longer owns it. Or something. You probably know more about this than I do.
J,

You're right either way. Thunderbird now belongs to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mozilla. I'm somewhat surprised that Groups.io members who use Thunderbird, e.g. Shal, haven't run into this problem before. Maybe, like me, they rarely if ever use the digest footer links to "Reply to Group" or "Reply to Sender." I usually reply to individual messages using e-mail and use the Groups.io web interface to reply to a digest message..

I'm more and more persuaded that this is a Thunderbird bug and not a Groups.io bug. Apple's Mail program encodes the footer "Reply to" links properly with ASCII codes. For example, spaces in the mailto: Subject line are replaced by %20. Thunderbird does not encode the links in the mailto: Subject line at all. Spaces are spaces. Since its likely that this bug comes from Thunderbird and not Groups.io, we should terminate this thread in beta.

The best workaround for your member trying to reply to a single message in a digest is for her to use the "View/Reply Online" link in the message footer. You may have to help her learn to log in to Groups.io and then point out the web interface buttons "Reply to Group" and "Private" to reply to the sender.

Robert R.

I'm happy to terminate the thread (was happy to terminate it long ago) but that's up to Mark.
The group member is a savvy internet user and frequently logs in to post to the group. She just wants to use the digest, for some unknown reason.
Thanks.

Herb Gellis

Not wishing the swell the ranks of replies, but as a test (since I use Thunderbird on Windows), I clicked the link on this from the beta digest I receive. I have version 68.12.1 (32-bit). It says I can update to that 78.4.0, which I will momentarily.

-Herb Gellis

Herb Gellis

Me again... I upgraded to Thunderbird 78.4.0 (32-bit) and now clicking on those Reply to Group (or also Sender) links did nada! So, clearly this new release has broken something.

-Herb Gellis