Topics

moderated Cannot edit my messages anymore #bug

Andrea Grillini

I feel kind of shy in telling about this subject, both because I arrived on groups.io only recently - I still don't feel confident using the interface - and because I expect that might be a hot topic, possibly someone else might have asked and an answer has been given, though so far I could find just old messages where the editing functionality was still debated, and, as a matter of fact, the documentation cleary states I should be able to edit.

https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-group-topics-and-messages/editing-the-content-of-messages-in-the

I specify I already edited in recent times. I thought there might be some sort of time limit, this is not mentioned in the documentation I pointed to, though.

Thanks!

A.

Chris Jones

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 05:30 PM, Andrea Grillini wrote:
I specify I already edited in recent times.
Can you possibly tell us what it is that you have not been able to edit?

Are you a group owner or moderator?

Chris

Andrea Grillini

Sorry, Chris.

I forgot to mention a practical case.
Though I expected I could edit the message and mend for that.
And, coherently, I couldn't. I attach a scrap with what action I can perform on the message.
I've never been group owner or a moderator here on groups.io, though I rembember at least once I succeeded in editing and I remeber knowing here I could edit a message afterwards was reliefing to me, since I'm often critical toward what I publish, and I'm sorry when I have to live with the mistakes or bad choices I published.

A.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 09:35 PM, Andrea Grillini wrote:
I rembember at least once I succeeded in editing and I remeber knowing here I could edit a message afterwards was reliefing to me, since I'm often critical toward what I publish, and I'm sorry when I have to live with the mistakes or bad choices I published.
Ah; I can now get a better view of the problem.

The ability of members to edit posts that have been "published" on a group's web UI and by email to the group's members can be disabled by an owner (or moderator) as one of a group's settings, and I can only conclude that that is what has happened in the group where this problem has arisen. When disabled, the Edit Message tab In the "More" hamburger is not available.

The facility of editing messages once they have been posted has its uses, but it must be used with considerable care because if a message is changed after others have responded to it, it may well be that those responses are to something that is changed in - perhaps even removed from - the original message. The result can then be that the thread of the messages ceases to make any sense at all.

Perhaps the owner / mloderators of a group where you can no longer edit messages once posted has decided that such editing is corrupting the "flow" of whatever the topic is and has thus decided to stop members being able to edit messages that have been sent.

It is not a fault of any sort, simply the change of a setting that has disabled members' ability to edit messages.

Chris

Andrea Grillini

You gave me the clue to figure out what happened exactly.
As far as I can recall, the first group I joined here is Vintage Realistic Shortwave Receivers. I've just checked: there I can still edit my messages.
What probably happened is I was never allowed to edit my messages in other groups I joined afterward, but I was expecting such a feature should be the same as in the group where I made my first experience. :-)
I do understand your point about the risks of letting people edit their messages after they posted them.
I apologize for the choice #bug as a label, though I reckon at the moment I didn't have much of a choice.
Now I'd rather ask to update the help document to specify that editing posted messages is not something users can do anyway, and when they can't then that choice doesn't show up at all in the mentioned menu.

Thanks!

A.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 11:00 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
[...]

Duane

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 06:58 PM, Andrea Grillini wrote:
Now I'd rather ask to update the help document
This is already in the Members Manual, https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/working-with-group-messages/editing-your-own-messages-in-the-group

Duane

Andrea Grillini

With my search, I couldn't get to the proper answer, since I arrived at the URL below and I mistook that content for the answer to my question.

https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-group-topics-and-messages/editing-the-content-of-messages-in-the

I may have been hasty, though I wonder if is there a way to effectively stop hasty people like me sooner, considering the editing subject is hot for any possible newcomer. I guess I discover I could edit afterward just tinkering with the commands available on the interface, and, since for the group I was in that command was available to users, I took it for granted.

However I apologize for the false alarm.

Thanks!

A.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 05:34 AM, Andrea Grillini wrote:
I arrived at the URL below and I mistook that content for the answer to my question
Since you're not a group owner/mod, you should have been looking in the Members Manual, not the Owners Manual.  The Members Manual does mention that owner/mods can always edit messages, but the manual is written from a member viewpoint.  FYI, if there's something that you're not sure about, such as this, it would be better to ask questions on Group_Help or GMF rather than here on the beta group.  If it turns out to be a real bug, it can then be reported here.

Duane

Andrea Grillini

Many thanks, Duane!

I feel more comfortable now. I just recently discovered yahoo groups service is discontinued and groups.io kind of took their place, but I may already say I do like the groups.io interface, especially when there I'm allowed to edit my messages after posting them. :-)

A.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 04:58 PM, Andrea Grillini wrote:
I was expecting such a feature should be the same as in the group where I made my first experience. :-)
That's a good point. The seeming inconsistency could be confusing to users. Perhaps the group's home page should specify whether or not editing posts is allowed.

Chris Jones

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 03:45 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Perhaps the group's home page should specify whether or not editing posts is allowed.
Good point; FWIW If any given group does permit editing of messages then there is a line in Group Settings on the Home Page that reads Members can edit their messages. If editing is not enabled then that entry disappears; perhaps Members cannot edit their messages might be better than making no mention of the point whatsoever. Better that than the concept of "a lack of information is actually information".

Chris

I’ve never seen that kind because my group has editing disabled. But if it indicated when editing is allowed, I think it should also stats when it’s disallowed.

On Oct 24, 2020, at 8:12 AM, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 03:45 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Perhaps the group's home page should specify whether or not editing posts is allowed.
Good point; FWIW If any given group does permit editing of messages then there is a line in Group Settings on the Home Page that reads Members can edit their messages. If editing is not enabled then that entry disappears; perhaps Members cannot edit their messages might be better than making no mention of the point whatsoever. Better that than the concept of "a lack of information is actually information".

Chris

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 08:15 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I’ve never seen that kind
typo, never seen that LINE

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 8:15 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I’ve never seen that kind because my group has editing disabled. But if it indicated when editing is allowed, I think it should also stats when it’s disallowed.

The home page now does this.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 04:48 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The home page now does this.
Thanks; that's much better.

Chris

This is great. But when I happily checked out the change, I noticed that right below that, some groups say "members can set their subscriptions to no email," but the ones that don't allow it don't say so. So it's a parellel situation. That said, I don't know whether it's (a) going to extremes or (b) simply making things more consistent by doing the same with this one too.

I suppose that if you make this consistent, I would "vote" for leaving it off both types of groups. Because it's not a zero-one thing in the email case. You can go special-notices-only in the groups where you can't go no-email, so it would be somewhat misleading, and a possible disincentive to join, if a group says "you can't set your subscription to no email" right on the home page. So given that it seems undesirable to do that, why would you include the positive information for groups where people *can* go no-email? I would leave the infor off entirely for both types.