Topics

locked hide photo details #suggestion

It seems odd that uploaded photos contain so much information about how they were taken. Can this be hidden? Here's a typical one. The only info that seems necessary here is the date the photo was uploaded:

Taken: Mar 2, 2016, 6:01 pm
Uploaded: Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 am
Size: 1.6MB

 Apple iPhone 6
Aperture: f/2.2
Focal Length: 4.15 mm
ISO: 640
Shutter Speed: 1/17 sec

J,

It seems odd that uploaded photos contain so much information about how
they were taken. Can this be hidden?
"Posted" photos too, if seen via the "Emailed Photos" album.

I rather like the little bit of EXIF data. It's the kind of nicety that a real photo sharing site would have. Part of Groups.io's goal of being a "modern email groups service".

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

I get that some photo buffs might appreciate it, but I see it as a minor violation of privacy. OTOH I'm a privacy nut.;) Perhaps it could be made a user option, just as location sharing was (is) an option in Y!G?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2016, at 8:17 PM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:

J,

It seems odd that uploaded photos contain so much information about how
they were taken. Can this be hidden?
"Posted" photos too, if seen via the "Emailed Photos" album.

I rather like the little bit of EXIF data. It's the kind of nicety that a real photo sharing site would have. Part of Groups.io's goal of being a "modern

Also, I don't see that info on 'posted' (i.e., emailed) photos in my group. I checked first. ???

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2016, at 8:22 PM, J_catlady <@J_Catlady> wrote:

I get that some photo buffs might appreciate it, but I see it as a minor violation of privacy. OTOH I'm a privacy nut.;) Perhaps it could be made a user option, just as location sharing was (is) an option in Y!G?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 18, 2016, at 8:17 PM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:

J,

It seems odd that uploaded photos contain so much information about how
they were taken. Can this be hidden?
"Posted" photos too, if seen via the "Emailed Photos" album.

I rather like the little bit of EXIF data. It's the kind of nicety that a real photo sharing site would have. Part of Groups.io's goal of being a "modern

Duane

The information that's available is dependent on what's stored in the picture file. I have a lot of photos on my computer that don't have any of the information, not even the date taken, but others that have even more. I don't see a reason to have it displayed, but I'm sure photo-centric groups would appreciate it. If I had the option, I'd turn it off. It's included with a photo if you download it (except for the upload date, of course. ;>)

Duane

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 09:04 pm, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
If I had the option, I'd turn it off.

Me, too. I don't see why anyone needs to know what date I took a picture or what kind of camera (or iPhone) I used to take it. The other stuff (aperture, etc. - whatever is stored in the file) might appeal to photo-centric groups but I would not treat that as the default here. This is not chiefly a photo site, after all. I have no problem with displaying the techie stuff but it looks slightly odd in my particular group - like, "why are you telling me this?"

J,

I get that some photo buffs might appreciate it, but I see it as a minor
violation of privacy. OTOH I'm a privacy nut.;)
For privacy protection we'd need an option to strip the EXIF data as the image file is uploaded. Otherwise, as Duane pointed out, it would be available to anyone who downloaded the picture.

Perhaps it could be made a user option, just as location sharing was
(is) an option in Y!G?
I could see that as a Subscription option, included in the defaults a group can set via the group's "Default Sub Settings" tab of the Settings page.

And yes, more than just "Keep" or "Discard" the whole thing - I'd welcome an option that strips geolocation info (the GPS coordinates) while keeping less sensitive information about the photo itself.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Shal,

I'd buy that. In yahoo, the setting is per user. That never seemed right and I prefer your suggestion that it be per subscription.

J,

Also, I don't see that info on 'posted' (i.e., emailed) photos in my
group. I checked first. ???
Possibly your group members who emailed photos deliberately or accidentally excluded the EXIF data, or possibly you weren't looking in the "Emailed Photos" album of the group's Photos section.

Check out the orange tabby in beta@'s "Emailed Photos" album as an example.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:49 pm, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
deliberately or accidentally excluded the EXIF data

Trust me. It was accidentally. ;)

The orange tabby photo behaves exactly like the photos in the "emailed photos" section of my own group: namely, the data appears for a split second after I click on the photo, and then it goes away to be replaced by a large version of the photo itself. In the other albums, the data appears below a smaller version of the photo and doesn't go away.  ???

p.s. I am about to add a comment/question about the terminology "emailed photos album" to the thread about the "recently posted" photos.

J,

The orange tabby photo behaves exactly like the photos in the "emailed
photos" section of my own group: namely, the data appears for a split
second after I click on the photo, and then it goes away to be replaced
by a large version of the photo itself.
Hm, that's different than what I'm seeing (Firefox 45.0.1 on Win7 Pro 64-bit, not that that should matter). 1280x1024 monitor with Firefox full screen (which doesn't seem to matter either).

Are you sure it didn't just get pushed down the page? can you see it if you scroll down below the large photo?

Did everything else on the page go away too (the left nav buttons, logo and breadcrumb bar, photo title below)? That would sound like the Download button got pressed somehow. Can you use the browser "Back" button to get back to the page with all the info?

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Shal,

My mistake, the information *is* there. However, the "emailed photos" behave in a completely different way when I click on them, in both safari (ancient version) and Firefox (updated to latest version just now). The regular-album ("uploaded") photos appear just once when you click on them, with the information directly below, and stay that way. The "emailed photos" appear initially the same as the uploaded ones for a nanosecond, and then that display is immediately replaced by a very large version of the photo (taking several seconds to load in its entirety), with the information finally appearing at the bottom. I think you and Mark are saying that the emailed and the uploaded photos are  two different beasts internally, so this is not extremely surprising and seems inconsequential.

You can suppress this information (other than, obviously, file size and date
uploaded) by removing it before posting. Read the image into most image
processing programs and simply save it again, and all that metadata is gone.
This is simply because the image has become one created by the program, not one
created by photography. I found this by accident when processing photos (e.g.
cropping) them before uploading to my own web site. I believe some image
processing programs provide a facility for editing the metadata, although I've
never tried to do it.

Jim Fisher

On 18 Mar 2016 at 19:20, J_catlady wrote:

It seems odd that uploaded photos contain so much information about how they
were taken. Can this be hidden? Here's a typical one. The only info that seems
necessary here is the date the photo was uploaded:

Taken: Mar 2, 2016, 6:01 pm
Uploaded: Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 am
Size: 1.6MB
 Apple iPhone 6
Aperture: f/2.2
Focal Length: 4.15 mm
ISO: 640
Shutter Speed: 1/17 sec

http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects (not
currently working - hosting company problems)
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom

Unfortunately, most of my group members would be completely incapable of doing that.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Jim Fisher <ejf@...> wrote:
You can suppress this information (other than, obviously, file size and date
uploaded) by removing it before posting. Read the image into most image
processing programs and simply save it again, and all that metadata is gone.
This is simply because the image has become one created by the program, not one
created by photography. I found this by accident when processing photos (e.g.
cropping) them before uploading to my own web site. I believe some image
processing programs provide a facility for editing the metadata, although I've
never tried to do it.

Jim Fisher

On 18 Mar 2016 at 19:20, J_catlady wrote:

> It seems odd that uploaded photos contain so much information about how they
> were taken. Can this be hidden? Here's a typical one. The only info that seems
> necessary here is the date the photo was uploaded:
>
> Taken: Mar 2, 2016, 6:01 pm
> Uploaded: Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 am
> Size: 1.6MB
>  Apple iPhone 6
> Aperture: f/2.2
> Focal Length: 4.15 mm
> ISO: 640
> Shutter Speed: 1/17 sec

http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects (not
currently working - hosting company problems)
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com  which doesn't spy on you

J,

The regular-album ("uploaded") photos appear just once when you click on
them, with the information directly below, and stay that way. The
"emailed photos" appear initially the same as the uploaded ones for a
nanosecond, and then that display is immediately replaced by a very
large version of the photo (taking several seconds to load in its
entirety), with the information finally appearing at the bottom.
I don't know why, but I don't see any difference in behavior.

For both types of albums, clicking on the photo causes it load once at a size that is scaled to the fit within the width of the browser window. The Title, information, as well as the Download button (and maybe other buttons) are then below the photo. In one or two columns depending on screen width, and it may require scrolling to see them, depending on the relative size of the photo and the browser window.

I think you and Mark are saying that the emailed and the uploaded
photos are two different beasts internally, so this is not extremely
surprising and seems inconsequential.
Whatever the cause, if they're loading correctly for you in the end then I agree that the transitory effect seems inconsequential.