Topics

moderated Demise of Yahoo Groups #misc

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- It appears that Y!G is pulling the plug on even their "new, improved" email-only product, effective Dec 15 (one year after removing all online content). See https://en-global.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN35505.html  On that basis we are expecting a second wave of refugees, with the corresponding inquiries.

Are you still offering uploads of mboxrd message archives in return for a year of Premium (not the Premium trial)? Some folks still have their privacy dashboard downloads from last year, or may have a folder in an email client that can be exported into this format. It is understood that messages posted in the past year that were not so captured are irretrievably lost.

If so, what is the best way for such people to contact you? We in GMF need some way to refer them to someone who can do something about it.

Thanks,
Bruce

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 8:10 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- It appears that Y!G is pulling the plug on even their "new, improved" email-only product, effective Dec 15 (one year after removing all online content). See https://en-global.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN35505.html  On that basis we are expecting a second wave of refugees, with the corresponding inquiries.

I'm definitely seeing an uptick of new groups being created.

Are you still offering uploads of mboxrd message archives in return for a year of Premium (not the Premium trial)? Some folks still have their privacy dashboard downloads from last year, or may have a folder in an email client that can be exported into this format. It is understood that messages posted in the past year that were not so captured are irretrievably lost.

If so, what is the best way for such people to contact you? We in GMF need some way to refer them to someone who can do something about it.

Yes, if they have the privacy dashboard download from last year, I can import the messages (no support for importing files/photos/etc). If they upgrade to a year of premium, they can then send an email to support, which will be flagged as priority, and I'll see it.

I ask that people put their archive on a file sharing service, like Dropbox, and then send a link to that to support, because sending large files over email, especially to the CRM system I use for support, does not work very well.