Topics

moderated Downgrading to monthly billing overcharges #bug

Bruce Bowman

In response to an inquiry in GMF, I downgraded my plan from Premium yearly (legacy $110) to Premium monthly for our group ias-indy. I did this on the premise that the downgrade would not actually occur until my paid-up plan period was completed.

Imagine my surprise when not only did the downgrade happen immediately, when I switched back I was immediately charged another $220!

Please refund my $220 and reinstate me into the Premium yearly legacy plan to expire April 24, 2021.

Thanks,
Bruce

Question unrelated to your issue: how is yearly to monthly payment a downgrade? I have been paying monthly (legacy $10) since forever and (mostly out of laziness) have never switched to yearly. I waa never aware there was any difference in features. Is there, since you’re calling it a downgrade?

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 08:37 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Question unrelated to your issue: how is yearly to monthly payment a downgrade?
I called it that only for lack of a better term.

I have been paying monthly (legacy $10) since forever and (mostly out of laziness) have never switched to yearly.
I thought the "downgrade" would temporarily take me to what you have -- $10/month -- but it didn't. That was exactly the basis for the GMF inquiry that I was investigating.

I was never aware there was any difference in features. Is there, since you’re calling it a downgrade?
Not that I noticed, but I frankly got a little alarmed, and didn't remain there long enough to really check it out.

Regards,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
In response to an inquiry in GMF, I downgraded my plan from Premium yearly (legacy $110) to Premium monthly for our group ias-indy. I did this on the premise that the downgrade would not actually occur until my paid-up plan period was completed.

You would not start to be charged monthly until your year was up, April 24, 2021. When you switched to monthly, you should have seen a confirmation dialog that said "Switch to monthly billing at $20/month? You will be billed on 4/24/21."

Imagine my surprise when not only did the downgrade happen immediately, when I switched back I was immediately charged another $220!

When you then switched to yearly billing, you should have seen a confirmation dialog that said "Switch to yearly billing at $220/year? You will be billed immediately." You were then billed for a year immediately, at $220, and your next billing date was incremented from April 24, 2021 to April 24, 2022.

For legacy premium groups, if you switch from monthly to yearly billing, you keep the legacy pricing. If you switch from yearly to monthly, it goes to the $20/month pricing. If you downgrade to free and then upgrade later, you will be at the new pricing. I believe this is consistent with how other services work (you could make the argument that switching from monthly to yearly should trigger the new pricing for consistency as well, I suppose).

I have refunded your $220 charge and rolled back your next invoice date to April 24, 2021. The refund will appear on your statement in 5-10 days. In addition, I have reverted your annual price to $110.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to make things more clear. I'm certainly not trying to fool anyone.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 12:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You would not start to be charged monthly until your year was up, April 24, 2021. When you switched to monthly, you should have seen a confirmation dialog that said "Switch to monthly billing at $20/month? You will be billed on 4/24/21."
There was no such confirmation dialog (that I noticed).

When you then switched to yearly billing, you should have seen a confirmation dialog that said "Switch to yearly billing at $220/year? You will be billed immediately."
Again, no. Is this done as a popup? I have a popup blocker on my browser.

For legacy premium groups, if you switch from monthly to yearly billing, you keep the legacy pricing. If you switch from yearly to monthly, it goes to the $20/month pricing. If you downgrade to free and then upgrade later, you will be at the new pricing. I believe this is consistent with how other services work (you could make the argument that switching from monthly to yearly should trigger the new pricing for consistency as well, I suppose).
A lot of groups signed up for a year of Premium in order to get transferred. Those agreements are expiring now (Oct 22), and this is a new twist that some didn't see coming.

The inquiry made in GMF was whether a legacy group could switch to monthly at $10/month. The one posing the question wanted to keep his Premium features without having quickly do some fundraising (or front the money and get reimbursed).

A related [and perhaps rhetorical] question:  If J was to change her plan to Premium Yearly (she's currently on month-to-month), would her payment be $220? To be honest, I see little reason why a group on legacy Premium shouldn't be able to freely switch between monthly and annual billing without penalty...as long as they never drop down to Basic.

I have refunded your $220 charge and rolled back your next invoice date to April 24, 2021. The refund will appear on your statement in 5-10 days. In addition, I have reverted your annual price to $110.
Thanks Mark...I was confident that you would treat me right.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce,
Mark said if you’re legacy and you switch from monthly to yearly, you keep the legacy pricing.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 04:39 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Mark said if you’re legacy and you switch from monthly to yearly, you keep the legacy pricing.
BUT, if later switch back to monthly, you lose it (as things are now.)

Duane