Topics

moderated #BUG moderated topic not moderated for some users #bug


Jim Pruitt
 

Today I had a topic get heated and out of hand.  I ended up banning one member and still decided on a second member.  To let things cool down I set the topic to moderated.  2 messages came in for moderation in the next 2 hours but 4 hours later 2 other messages were posted without moderation.  I can't understand why but suspect that because the 2 users that got their message posted without moderation after the topic had been set to moderated were 2 that had posted to the topic before it became moderated.

This seems like a major bug to me.  If a moderator sets a topic to moderated there should be no  messages get posted without going through moderator approval.

Thank you.

Jim


Duane
 

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 07:05 AM, Jim Pruitt wrote:
4 hours later 2 other messages were posted without moderation
Any members that have their Posting Privileges set to "Override: not moderated" will still be able to post replies.  That's why it's suggested to not use any override settings for members, only "Use Group Moderation Setting".

Duane


 

If those members are set to “P” (“Override: not moderated”) they can post without approval to any topic, even moderated ones. Might want to check their posting status.


On Oct 6, 2020, at 5:05 AM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

 Today I had a topic get heated and out of hand.  I ended up banning one member and still decided on a second member.  To let things cool down I set the topic to moderated.  2 messages came in for moderation in the next 2 hours but 4 hours later 2 other messages were posted without moderation.  I can't understand why but suspect that because the 2 users that got their message posted without moderation after the topic had been set to moderated were 2 that had posted to the topic before it became moderated.

This seems like a major bug to me.  If a moderator sets a topic to moderated there should be no  messages get posted without going through moderator approval.

Thank you.

Jim


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Sorry, just seeing Duane's post now. I am on "following only" and was not following so did not see his post until I myself posted.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 05:23 AM, Duane wrote:
That's why it's suggested to not use any override settings for members, only "Use Group Moderation Setting".
I do quibble with that slightly. I don't know who "suggests" that. The setting is there by request and for a reason, and I have a few important trusted members set to "P."
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Jim Pruitt
 

This brings up another question.  Since the only way those members would be unmoderated on my group would be because I selected "approve and unmoderate" when their first message was posted way back when.  Are you saying that by selecting that rather than approve then it overrides the topic setting?  Last night I also locked the topic.  Is that going to stop posts to that topic or will these same 2 (and maybe others) be able to post to it anyway?

Thank you.

Jim


On 10/6/2020 5:49 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 05:23 AM, Duane wrote:
That's why it's suggested to not use any override settings for members, only "Use Group Moderation Setting".
I do quibble with that slightly. I don't know who "suggests" that. The setting is there by request and for a reason, and I have a few important trusted members set to "P."
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu



 

Approve and moderate should not have set then to override: not moderated. Those are different and if they are now “P”, someone had to have inadvertently set that by hand. I think this part of the system is very robust and thoroughly tested and very unlikely to be buggy. Although anything is possible. 😊

Nobody can post to a locked topic as long as you have not also deleted the topic. If you deleted it, people may be able to reply via the emails that are still on their inbox.


On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

 This brings up another question.  Since the only way those members would be unmoderated on my group would be because I selected "approve and unmoderate" when their first message was posted way back when.  Are you saying that by selecting that rather than approve then it overrides the topic setting?  Last night I also locked the topic.  Is that going to stop posts to that topic or will these same 2 (and maybe others) be able to post to it anyway?

Thank you.

Jim


On 10/6/2020 5:49 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 05:23 AM, Duane wrote:
That's why it's suggested to not use any override settings for members, only "Use Group Moderation Setting".
I do quibble with that slightly. I don't know who "suggests" that. The setting is there by request and for a reason, and I have a few important trusted members set to "P."
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu



--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

(Sorry, typo - “approve and unmoderate”)


On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:49 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Approve and moderate should not have set then to override: not moderated. Those are different and if they are now “P”, someone had to have inadvertently set that by hand. I think this part of the system is very robust and thoroughly tested and very unlikely to be buggy. Although anything is possible. 😊

Nobody can post to a locked topic as long as you have not also deleted the topic. If you deleted it, people may be able to reply via the emails that are still on their inbox.


On Oct 6, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

 This brings up another question.  Since the only way those members would be unmoderated on my group would be because I selected "approve and unmoderate" when their first message was posted way back when.  Are you saying that by selecting that rather than approve then it overrides the topic setting?  Last night I also locked the topic.  Is that going to stop posts to that topic or will these same 2 (and maybe others) be able to post to it anyway?

Thank you.

Jim


On 10/6/2020 5:49 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 05:23 AM, Duane wrote:
That's why it's suggested to not use any override settings for members, only "Use Group Moderation Setting".
I do quibble with that slightly. I don't know who "suggests" that. The setting is there by request and for a reason, and I have a few important trusted members set to "P."
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu



--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu