moderated drafts disappearing - bad #bug

billsf9c

> A warning message would be a good stop gap for now. It would have saved me, and no doubt others, a lot of headaches.

Heck - Dissappearing Drafts was a FEATURE in YahOops!!! 🤣

I'm sure it'll get fixed, probably within the week. I DID learn ro use a.NotePad to hood purpose for this very reason... and none in IO have dissappeared on me - yet...

BillSF9c
[TOO] Near San Francisco

There’s possibly another aspect to this that may not have anything to do with the back button. Sometimes, a draft stays I the draft folder even after the message has posted. I noticed a couple of instances this morning but have not yet tried to investigate. I thought I was seeing things at first, but bothe the draft and the posted message were definitely there. I eventually just deleted the draft because the message was there, which was all I cared about by that point.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 3:42 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

A warning message would be a good stop gap for now. It would have saved me, and no doubt others, a lot of headaches.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 3:34 PM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:25 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The fact that in some cases drafts are lost if you use the back button I think is pretty bad, unless a warning is issued, which some sites with that problem do.
So, a simple warning message about not using the back button would seem to suffice then.

You don’t expect it in groups.io.
I expect it on any site where I've made some input and knowing that it may happen is more than enough reason for me to just duplicate a tab (or even open a new browser occurrence) and go and do other stuff before coming back to my original tab/page and continuing from where I left off without a problem.

Andy

A warning message would be a good stop gap for now. It would have saved me, and no doubt others, a lot of headaches.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 3:34 PM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:25 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The fact that in some cases drafts are lost if you use the back button I think is pretty bad, unless a warning is issued, which some sites with that problem do.
So, a simple warning message about not using the back button would seem to suffice then.

You don’t expect it in groups.io.
I expect it on any site where I've made some input and knowing that it may happen is more than enough reason for me to just duplicate a tab (or even open a new browser occurrence) and go and do other stuff before coming back to my original tab/page and continuing from where I left off without a problem.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:25 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The fact that in some cases drafts are lost if you use the back button I think is pretty bad, unless a warning is issued, which some sites with that problem do.
So, a simple warning message about not using the back button would seem to suffice then.

You don’t expect it in groups.io.
I expect it on any site where I've made some input and knowing that it may happen is more than enough reason for me to just duplicate a tab (or even open a new browser occurrence) and go and do other stuff before coming back to my original tab/page and continuing from where I left off without a problem.

Andy

The fact that in some cases drafts are lost if you use the back button I think is pretty bad, unless a warning is issued, which some sites with that problem do. You don’t expect it in groups.io.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 3:21 PM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 06:31 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
However, not using the back button is going to be really cumbersome.
There are plenty of sites where using the back button causes problems, especially e-commerce sites when online payments are being made. For that reason I just right-click the browser tab for the page I'm on, duplicate it to start with and then navigate elsewhere on the new tab. Then I always have the original tab & page to go back to and in the case of Groups.io, I have never lost a Draft message using FF.  I don't see this as a big problem myself.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 06:31 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
However, not using the back button is going to be really cumbersome.
There are plenty of sites where using the back button causes problems, especially e-commerce sites when online payments are being made. For that reason I just right-click the browser tab for the page I'm on, duplicate it to start with and then navigate elsewhere on the new tab. Then I always have the original tab & page to go back to and in the case of Groups.io, I have never lost a Draft message using FF.  I don't see this as a big problem myself.

Andy

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM, Jim Fisher wrote:
Why don't you use a simple text editor such as Notepad instead of Word?
Shouldn't even have to do that. Let's just hope Mark finds a way to fix the bug.

Why don't you use a simple text editor such as Notepad instead of Word? No
formatting problems then because there's no formatting.

Jim Fisher

On 20 Oct 2020 at 6:16, J_Catlady wrote:

I did end up having to copy/paste a word doc last night
(which results in formatting issues).

The real problem is the inconsistent behavior. If we leave the site entirely, the draft gets saved. And we (users) have become accustomed to that. So when we don't even leave the site and do something as simple as go to another page, and use the back button, who's going to expect that the draft disappears? Not me. Either ditch the whole draft-saving mechanism or fix it so that drafts get saved regardless of what other actions are taken, including innocently using the back button. Users should not have to know that they have to open other windows to make sure their draft is saved. Etc

Please, don't give Mark any ideas. All of that is cumbersome. We need this fixed. ;)

SBL webmaster

J_Catlady wrote:
Good to know. However, not using the back button is going to be really
cumbersome. Imagine you're writing a long, complex reply, and you have
to go out of your draft several times to look something up on the site.
There should never be a need to leave the draft page to look something up.
All of the major browsers support multiple tabs, so if you need to look
something up, you can either:

- Open a new blank tab; on most browsers, this is Ctrl-T on the keyboard,
or click on the "+" next to the last open tab at the top of the window.

- Open a link on the current page in a new tab; on most browsers, this is
right-click on the link and type "t", or select "Open link in new tab"
in the pop-up menu.

-- Dave Tweed
(long-time lurker)

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 10:12 AM, Duane wrote:
I'm using FF, so I think this may be the biggy.  I've never seen the problem, but always go through the Drafts option on the left menu to get to one
Good to know. However, not using the back button is going to be really cumbersome. Imagine you're writing a long, complex reply, and you have to go out of your draft several times to look something up on the site. It is going to be very unintuitive to have to remember to repeatedly go to the Drafts tab instead of back to where you were. So I hope Mark comes up with one of his whiz-bang solutions soon. :)

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 11:43 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Don't use the back button to return to a draft reply.
I'm using FF, so I think this may be the biggy.  I've never seen the problem, but always go through the Drafts option on the left menu to get to one.

Thanks, Mark, for nailing this down. That’s exactly what happens. I do use Firefox.

 I’ll try to remember to keep two separate windows open on groups.io until you come up with a fix. Not using the back arrow would be really hard.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 9:43 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I've spent a bunch of time researching this and trying to reproduce it. Here is what I believe is the bug:

- Using Firefox (it's not reproducible in Chrome or Safari), start a reply to a message.
- Navigate to another page or site.
- Go to the drafts page and click the draft to continue editing it.
- Make a change in the draft.
- Navigate to another page or site.
- Hit the back button to return to the draft.
- See that your change is no longer there.

I don't know if or when I'll be able to figure out how to fix it. In the meantime, you have a couple options:

- Don't use Firefox
- Don't use the back button to return to a draft reply.

Hi All,

I've spent a bunch of time researching this and trying to reproduce it. Here is what I believe is the bug:

- Using Firefox (it's not reproducible in Chrome or Safari), start a reply to a message.
- Navigate to another page or site.
- Go to the drafts page and click the draft to continue editing it.
- Make a change in the draft.
- Navigate to another page or site.
- Hit the back button to return to the draft.
- See that your change is no longer there.

I don't know if or when I'll be able to figure out how to fix it. In the meantime, you have a couple options:

- Don't use Firefox
- Don't use the back button to return to a draft reply.

The problem with using word for groups.io is the formatting is incompatible.

On Oct 20, 2020, at 8:04 AM, Marv Waschke <marv@...> wrote:

It appears to me that there is either a bug, or at least difficult to predict behavior, lurking here somewhere. However, I have to say that I gave up on online drafts in all applications, not just gio, long ago in self-defense. Defects and unpredictable behavior in this area are everywhere. As a habit, I draft any writing of any length locally, usually in Word. Life is too short and humans too frail for me to expect perfect code. Best, Marv

Marv Waschke

It appears to me that there is either a bug, or at least difficult to predict behavior, lurking here somewhere. However, I have to say that I gave up on online drafts in all applications, not just gio, long ago in self-defense. Defects and unpredictable behavior in this area are everywhere. As a habit, I draft any writing of any length locally, usually in Word. Life is too short and humans too frail for me to expect perfect code. Best, Marv

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 07:12 AM, Duane wrote:
I'm not seeing that.  Mine is saving each draft when I leave the composition page.
Not sure I understand the comment..?? You're not seeing that because you're not experiencing the bug.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 08:52 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
the fact that it saves the first drsftvand only the first draft
I'm not seeing that.  Mine is saving each draft when I leave the composition page.

Duane

Jim Wilson

I'm definitely in favor of either a physical button or some indication that the draft was saved. For instance, within a few seconds of tapping the last character, Gmail displays "Draft saved" in grey text within the header of a new messages or in the upper right-hand corner of replies created online.

I don't think I've had drafts disappear but having no indication that a draft is saved has been a worrisome problem for me.
--
Jim