Topics

moderated #suggestion Allow add/replace of attachments when editing messages (not just delete) #suggestion

Jim Avera

It would be nice if the "Edit pending message" function allowed a moderator to add as well as delete attachments.

For example, we want only PDF attachments, not .docx etc. and it would be helpful if a moderator could convert an attachment if it is not the desired form before approving the message.  That would require being able to add new attachments to the message.   Currently is is only possible delete an existing attachment.

(Yes, we ask people to convert to PDF before attaching to posts, but some don't know how and frankly are unlikely to learn because they know nothing but their 10-year-old copy of MS Word  :-|

Michael Pavan

+1

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:33 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
+1
Sorry, but I gotta say -1. I have nothing against Jim's use case, but the ability to edit other people's posts is itself a slippery slope, and here we go sliding even further down it.

Regards,
Bruce

Michael Pavan

On Sep 27, 2020, at 9:52 PM, Bruce Bowman <@BruceBowman> wrote:

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 11:33 PM, Michael Pavan wrote:
+1
I thought +1 was just the 'email way' of liking a post.
That's the first time it got posted instead.

Sorry, but I gotta say -1. I have nothing against Jim's use case, but the ability to edit other people's posts is itself a slippery slope, and here we go sliding even further down it.
We already have editing of Pending and Archived Posts...
I typically use it, as I believe you and other Moderators of GMF do:
to delete excessive quoting,
and more rarely to remove or sanitize offensive or inappropriate content.

Perhaps the better way to accomplish what Jim suggested would be a control of what file types can be attached.

Dave Sergeant

Being on several groups with over enthusiastic moderators who delete
virtually all quoting leaving my messages totally out of context for
email recipients this is a practice that irks me enormously. What I
post on groups is what I want to see published. If the moderator
doesn't like any accidental excess quoting he should tell me not to do
it the next time not just delete what he doesn't like.There may be a
case for COMPRESSING large attachments but anything else is totally
wrong.

Dave

On 28 Sep 2020 at 0:12, Michael Pavan wrote:

We already have editing of Pending and Archived Posts...
I typically use it, as I believe you and other Moderators of GMF do: to
delete excessive quoting, and more rarely to remove or sanitize
offensive or inappropriate content.

http://davesergeant.com

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:12 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
I thought +1 was just the 'email way' of liking a post.
That's the first time it got posted instead.
I was kinda surprised to see that, too.

We already have editing of Pending and Archived Posts...
I typically use it, as I believe you and other Moderators of GMF do:
to delete excessive quoting,
and more rarely to remove or sanitize offensive or inappropriate content.
Not saying that I wouldn't use it if available. :-)

Perhaps the better way to accomplish what Jim suggested would be a control of what file types can be attached.
That, or extend the audit trail [that already exists for messages in the archive] to include any changes made while in pending status.

Regards,
Bruce

Jim Avera

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 07:35 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
audit trail ... to include any changes made while in pending status.
Yes, that makes perfect sense to me.   Allow moderators to edit arbitrarily, but shove the "diffs" into an "Activity" record so it edits can not be done secretly.   Also add a "May edit pending messages" moderator permission so groups which do not want any editing can enforce that.

Allowing moderators to edit is useful, appropriate, and necessary for some groups where members are, realistically, not all able to create "well formed" messages on their own.

But other groups will value "non interference" more highly, and would want to prevent any editing by moderators.