Topics

Ongoing Calendar Saga #bug

Kenny Paul

I've about reached my breaking point related to Gio cal vs. G-cal and the unhealthy frienemy relationship they have had over the past couple of years.   You can subscribe to the a couple of our Gio sub-group cals from and G-cal and they the work just fine and others just will not do squat. Gsuite account, non-gsuite account, old account, new account, I just cannot get stuff to work in any consistent fashion.  The community is in disarray at this point given the fact that so many folks do not use Gio natively and I simply have run out of ideas.

Random list where cal subscription doesn't work:
onap-requirements-sub@...

Ideas, help, xanax or tequila all welcome.

--
Kenny Paul, Technical Program Manager for ONAP
The Linux Foundation

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 07:21 PM, Kenny Paul wrote:
Gsuite account, non-gsuite account, old account, new account, I just cannot get stuff to work in any consistent fashion.
If you change the name of a group/subgroup that also affects the feed address. You will have to click the Subscribe to Calendar button again to get a new GIO feed and re-sub that to the Google calendar.

Does that help?

I am not aware of any way to go in the other direction (i.e.: subscribe a Google calendar to groups.io). Others more knowledgeable than I am may have ideas.

Regards,
Bruce

Hi Kenny,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 4:21 PM Kenny Paul <kpaul@...> wrote:

I've about reached my breaking point related to Gio cal vs. G-cal and the unhealthy frienemy relationship they have had over the past couple of years.   You can subscribe to the a couple of our Gio sub-group cals from and G-cal and they the work just fine and others just will not do squat. Gsuite account, non-gsuite account, old account, new account, I just cannot get stuff to work in any consistent fashion.  The community is in disarray at this point given the fact that so many folks do not use Gio natively and I simply have run out of ideas.

I am sorry about the bugs you're experiencing. The ICS file spec is not my favorite. I have fixed the escaping issue that was causing GCal to not parse that file. It now parses it correctly. You will notice that it doesn't load 2 of the events into the Google calendar. I'm still researching that; it's because the two events have the same UID, but I don't yet know how that happened, if it's normal, and what to do about it.

Kenny Paul

Thanks Bruce.  good call, but I've already tried that.  The requirements list is coincidently one that was renamed, but the generation of new subscriptions has not resolved the problem.  Also there are numerous lists that have not changed since the original port to Gio over 2 years ago are also impacted by the same behavior.
--
Kenny Paul, Technical Program Manager for ONAP
The Linux Foundation
Pacific Time Zone

Kenny Paul

Thanks Mark. I know the ICS stuff has been a game a Whack-A-Mole for you.