Topics

moderated Moderator created new hashtag without permission #bug

Peter Cook

Our group message policy setting includes "Messages from members can only be tagged with existing hashtags, otherwise the message is bounced."

One of our moderators, who does not have permission to create or modify hashtags, sent a message with a misspelled hashtag, and that new tag was then created. It shouldn't have been.

Pete

Peter Cook

I should add - when a member does this, the message is properly kicked back. So the settings are correct.

So the message was (correctly) sent for moderation but the hashtag was created anyway, before the message was approved? That does sound like the wrong order.

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 11:18 AM, Peter Cook wrote:
Our group message policy setting includes "Messages from members can only be tagged with existing hashtags, otherwise the message is bounced."
Peter -- The wording for this setting is currently being discussed for revision.

Under no circumstances are messages actually bounced based on this setting. The help docs are also unclear on this.

See https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/76801206#26257 and provide any comments you have in that topic.

One of our moderators, who does not have permission to create or modify hashtags, sent a message with a misspelled hashtag, and that new tag was then created.
If a Moderator/Owner posts with a new hashtag, the message is not bounced, nor is it held as a draft (as it would be if sent by a Member). It is held as pending (i.e.: in moderation).

If someone subsequently approves the pending message anyway, the new hashtag is created, on the premise that this was intentional.

You can look for this approval in the group's activity log.

It shouldn't have been.
Well, it wouldn't have been, if someone hadn't approved it. That said, I agree that it would be substantially less confusing if Moderator/Owner posts were treated the same as Members with respect to this setting.

Regards,
Bruce

Peter Cook

Folks, I apologize - I misinterpreted what happened. The moderator in question actually added the new hashtag via the group website before posting the message.

However, there is still a mystery: As I said, her hashtag permission does not allow her to do that. I thought perhaps I had revoked this permission after this happened - but according to the activity log the last time her permissions were changed was before she created the hashtag. I'll investigate further.

Pete

Peter Cook

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:01 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Under no circumstances are messages actually bounced based on this setting.

Thanks, Bruce. Yes, I'm aware of this. In fact I posted some time ago, either in GMF or here, about the inconsistent use of the word "bounce."

Pete

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 07:10 PM, I wrote:
Discrepancies:
  • My Owner account is not actually moderated. The message went into moderation because it contained a new hashtag.
  • I did not add the hashtag before approving the message. The act of approving the message added the hashtag and generated both log entries.
Peter -- Well, now I'm just being dumb.

Apparently, my Owner account was actually moderated in my test group. I must have left it that way from some previous test I was doing. So it actually did go into moderation for that reason, and the log entry was correct.

What actually happens [under normal circumstances] is that incoming emails with new hashtags, when sent by Moderators/Owners, override the group hashtag setting -- going directly into the message base and generating those two log entries -- without any further intervention by anybody.

If you haven't given this person the permission to create new hashtags this certainly does seem like a way to circumvent that.

As I said before, I'd prefer that Moderator/Owner posts be treated no differently from Member posts in this regard.

Duh.

Bruce

Peter Cook

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 07:22 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Peter -- Well, now I'm just being dumb.
Or, like me, you're dealing with email overload.

Anyway, I rechecked with this moderator and she no longer sees the "create/edit" button on the hashtags page. So although the mystery isn't solved I'm going to assume the problem is.

Thank you all for helping me with this!

Pete