Topics

moderated Linking email addresses #suggestion

Glenn Glazer

So to set the use case, almost all of the members of one of my groups are email only. For them, it is pretty much just a mailing list. However, we do make extensive use of the Files section whether they check it or not and after the last endorsement forum, everybody suddenly wanted to check the results even though they'd never been to the groups.io website before.

As such, a number of them needed my help to point them to the help page on logging in with cookies, but a few ran into an interesting problem. These folks had multiple email addresses that forward to one address and weren't thinking about which address was actually on the list, so when they logged in with a different address, they couldn't see anything. This was obvious in retrospect, but not during debugging.

My solutions for this were to either look up their email address and have them use that address or add all of their other addresses as no mail.

But it made me wonder: right now the account page allows for only a single email address. Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one? E.g., I might have my account under "glenn.glazer@..." but list "gglazer@..., gglazer@..." under aliases so that if I log in under one of those, it would show me the same groups and group information as under my gmail address.

Most people who are tech savvy don't need this, they can remember which address they used. But not all groups consist of people who are like that and this would be helpful to them.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Christos G. Psarras

Glenn,

But it made me wonder: right now the account page allows for only a single email address. Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one? E.g., I might have my account under "glenn.glazer@..." but list "gglazer@..., gglazer@..." under aliases so that if I log in under one of those, it would show me the same groups and group information as under my gmail address.
<<<

This capability does exist; go to your account settings (upper right) and in the Login screen, look at the bottom for Advanced Settings For Email Aliases.  Add your alias there, and if you log in with that, (and the same pwd) it will be like you logged-in with your regular account email address.

I assume that if one does that, the group owner/admin (you) would have to remove the extra aliased account from the group; not quite sure what would happen if the alias is also a member of the same group, but more than likely some code may get confused somewhere.

Cheers,
Christos

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 04:47 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one?
This facility already exists in your account preferences.You can define an alias to your main account address and Groups.io will allow posting from it. This is a send only alias as all outgoing messages from Groups.io go to the main account address.

See the member's manual for details: https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/understanding-groups-io-accounts/setting-account-preferences-and-viewing-account-information

Andy

Glenn Glazer

On 9/14/2020 09:59, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
Glenn,

[...]

Oh, hey, you're right, I totally missed that.

Many thanks,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

lloyd lehrer

Yah, couldnt agree more. Several members have multiple  emails and have this problem.

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On 9/14/2020 10:01, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 04:47 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
Would it be possible to have a field that lists alternate email addresses that are linked or aliased to the main one?
This facility already exists in your account preferences.You can define an alias to your main account address and Groups.io will allow posting from it. This is a send only alias as all outgoing messages from Groups.io go to the main account address.

See the member's manual for details: https://groups.io/helpcenter/membersmanual/1/understanding-groups-io-accounts/setting-account-preferences-and-viewing-account-information

Andy
_._,_._,_

Thanks, Andy.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Christos G. Psarras

Hi Andy,

>>> See the member's manual for details...

Yeah, but it's not quite clear in that section of what would happen, so I just sent a message to the docs subgroup about it, some note blurb in there about this particular scenario, i.e. logging in with an alias is the same as logging in with the regular/main account, could be helpful.

Cheers,
Christos

Chris Jones

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 06:11 PM, lloyd lehrer wrote:
Several members have multiple  emails and have this problem.
Then I would argue that it is a problem of their own creation, I'm afraid.

Chris

Glenn Glazer

On 9/14/2020 11:15, Chris Jones via groups.io wrote:
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 06:11 PM, lloyd lehrer wrote:
Several members have multiple  emails and have this problem.
Then I would argue that it is a problem of their own creation, I'm afraid.

Chris

I think this is a remarkably uncharitable view, especially given the prevalence of the problem and the fact that sometimes it is not of their own creation precisely. For example, in some of the groups I run, public officials need to have both their private address for some posts where they are voicing their opinions as individuals and their official address for when they are speaking ex cathedra.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Chris Jones

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 07:27 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I think this is a remarkably uncharitable view, especially given the prevalence of the problem and the fact that sometimes it is not of their own creation precisely.
I can see and understand why you say that, but if individuals have a multiplicity of email addresses then IMHO it is incumbent upon them to keep proper track of which address has to be used for any specific application. I don't think it is fair to expect group owners & moderators to have to come to the rescue, espscially as owners & moderators don't actually know what addresses people have for different  purposes.

Chris

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 05:59 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
not quite sure what would happen if the alias is also a member of the same group,
That cannot happen as the alias address cannot already have an account with Groups.io

Andy

Glenn Glazer

On 9/14/2020 11:39, Chris Jones via groups.io wrote:
On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 07:27 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I think this is a remarkably uncharitable view, especially given the prevalence of the problem and the fact that sometimes it is not of their own creation precisely.
I can see and understand why you say that, but if individuals have a multiplicity of email addresses then IMHO it is incumbent upon them to keep proper track of which address has to be used for any specific application. I don't think it is fair to expect group owners & moderators to have to come to the rescue, espscially as owners & moderators don't actually know what addresses people have for different  purposes.

Chris

I suppose there are different philosophies at play here. I'm an admin and moderator as a service to the community of members of those groups. As such, "coming to the rescue" is part of my job and in particular, we have some older, not so tech savvy folks that need some hand-holding. I'm down with that because I consider it part of the job that I signed up for. Clearly, different communities will have different cultures and thus different expectations of their admins.

As for knowing their addresses, I don't need to - the solution provided upthread is self-serve.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Frances

This doesn't address your request directly but just tell them to check the footer of an email from the group. The email address they are using is there.
See Section 21.3 Understanding message footers
in https://groups.io/hc/membersmanual/Groups.io_Members_Manual.pdf

And while you are looking at the Help, see Email Aliases - https://groups.io/helpcenter/faq/1/group-member-faq/q-can-i-add-another-email-address
Just for sending, not receiving.

Frances