Topics

#suggestion Add a Pricing tier between Basic (free) and Premium #suggestion

Pati Nagle

Hello -

Thank you for groups.io! I love it - however, the small groups I am in cannot afford $20/month and don't need everything in the Premium tier. Right now we are using the Basic (free) version. We'd like to support groups.io financially but $20/month is just too steep for us.

Would you consider adding a tier between Basic and Premium? Call it "Enhanced" for this example. Charge $10/month. Here are the features I'd like to see:

Features

  Basic

FREE

Enhanced

$10/month or $110/year

Premium

$20/month or $220/year

Listed or unlisted in group directory X X X
Public or private archives X X X
Open, restricted, or moderated groups X X X
Comprehensive moderation tools X X X
Members UnlimitedNot Available Unlimited Unlimited
Virus scanning X X X
API access X X X
Size limits
Emails: 100MB
Photos: 100MB
Files: 100MB
Not Available
Emails: 100MB
Photos: 250MB
Files: 250MB
Emails: 100MB
Photos: 500MB
Files: 500MB
Storage
1GB
10GB 20GB
Subgroups on your own subdomain   5 Unlimited
Group calendar   X X
Files section   X X
Photos section   X X
Polls   X X

Rick Gray

I am part of a small non-profit group of about 30 members that I have set up a pilot GIO for, however, with the limit of no sub-groups for the basic plan, it makes things more difficult to achieve an efficient site. If there were an enhanced plan like the one suggested, I would pay for the plan myself for our group.

Sandi D

I too am concerned. As a small, local non profit, we may be able to cover $10 a month but not $20.
We don't need storage for photos and don't use attachments or polls. We don't need the calendar either. GIO is strictly a communication tool. A few files perhaps.
We just need all the basic offerings plus one subgroup for our BOD.
And the Wki is missing from your suggestion. Having a Wiki would be a very important feature to us. It allows us to share our Standing Rules, Policy and Proceedures in a searchable format.
--
Sandi Dickenson
ASG Volunteers Group.

Bob Bellizzi

I'm  confused.

Simply setting up a nonprofit organization has  some basic costs which must be covered.
But, it would seem that, as a nonprofit, you have the legal ability to solicit donations from others' who might have an interest in advancing your cause.
Such donations would be tax deductible to the donors under IRS rules.
BTW, what is the name of your non-profit?
--

Bob Bellizzi

Peter Cook

(1) ANY organization or person can legally solicit donations; (2) donations to a non-profit are tax-deductible only if it has a specific designation, like 501(c)(3); and (3) the amount of the deduction we're talking about here is likely infinitesimal even if the donor itemizes.

Bob Bellizzi

As soon as you use words like "nonprofit"  and "donation", lots of freedom of operation fly out the window because there are very specific laws, at least in the USA at both federal and  state level that goven the use and application of those terms.  In the USA, only persons 18 years of age and under can legally solicit donations without worrying about the laws.
If you wish to solicit funds to support an ad hoc cause like the cost of a groups.io Premium group for a bunch of friends or a group of people with a common interest, it's best not to describe the venturre in the words above.
I have participated in  friends' groups who wished to raise a bit of money for someone or a worthy cause but I suggest you call it anything but a nonprofit, at lease in the USA.
By the way, an entity doesn't have to be a 501 (c)(3) to be a nonprofit but all nonprofits are subject to laws of the land, and are required to file an IRS tax return.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Sandi D

Hi Bob,

We are a 501(c)(3). Our mission is education and community service. We are a group of elderly ladies who teach sewing to others in libraries, churches, youth organizations and our meetings. That was in the precovid days. We no longer meet in person and our venues are closed to us. So now we sew at home.

We made 6,00 masks between March and June to meet the needs of local residential disability and senior centers. All free of charge. That is our concept of what a non profit should do.

We make 400+ bags a year for the local food bank and foster care system. We purchase and place hygiene kits into the ones made for Children in Foster care and domestic shelters. Many of these children arrive with nothing or just what they can carry. The pillowcases and bags we make give them a place to put their possessions as the "System" moves them around.

We make clothing items for babies and toddlers and give them to families suffering financial difficulties. We make pillowcases for victims of declared disaster areas. We make stuffed bears and pillowcases for children with rare diseases to bring them comfort from the invasive testing they undergo. We make beds and scarves for pet shelters and pet adoption fairs using our scraps. We recycle fabric donations and put them into use instead of it going into landfills.

As I said we are elderly, some of us homebound and many with health issues. With Covid we had to stop our fundraising at local fairs and venues. The ladies give generously of their time and their money but many are on a fixed income. We are controlled by a Board of Directors, all unpaid. Even the national level BOD is unpaid.

Our parent chapter, The American Sewing Guild, has 3 paid staff. A receptionist, a compliance officer and a Executive Director. All on a modest salary that carries us closer and closer into the red each year because our members are retired elderly and on fixed incomes.

No one in our local chapter, or any chapter, collects a salary. We don't even ask for reimbursement for anything we spend out of pocket, like office supplies, postage and mileage. The website ($150), our storage unit ($1500), Zoom ($370) and now this group ($220) would be our major costs.

Since Covid we have been unable to fund raise. Normally we raise about $1200 a year which doesn't cover even our critical costs. We then rely on our members to make up the deficit with personal donations in addition to the $200+ they already spend each year on fabric and sewing related supplies.

When Mark first introduced pricing, I posted much of this explaining our mission and situation and asked if he would be offering a non profit discount. I included the information and link to Tech Soup, an organization that vets non profits and that partners with companies like Adobe, Microsoft, Zoom and so many others to bring us helpful discounts.

The name of our NP is the Sarsota Chapter of the American Sewing Guild. Our most recent project has been to sew fabric cards and mail them to those homebound. Covid has forced many into unhealthy isolation and small, thoughtful acts of kindness like these truly help them emotionally.

I read Mark's bio page before joining GIO. He discussed his community minded spirit and desire to share his talents in a helpful way. His words touched me in a non commercial way because that is how I live my life.

Bob, I am not sure why you feel so strongly that small non profits like us can always turn to fund raising to meet the greater and greater expenses we are incurring as technology becomes more critical to our survival.

We are people giving to people. That's all I am asking for. Whether a discount or a middle tier. I am not demanding it- only asking if it is possible and agreeing with other NP's that it is worth our time to inquire. Only Mark should be sitting in judgement as to whether we "deserve" the reduced level of service or discount and only Mark knows if his business operations can afford to offer a discount or reduced tier service level.

I work with a few other GIO groups to assist their hearing and visually impaired members with technology. So many times we take things for granted. The NPs that teach them accessibily software are also run by volunteers. We need venues like GIO to teach. While a sighted person like myself can teach a sighted person how to mute a Participant in zoom in under 2 minutes, it can take upwards of 30 minutes to talk an unsighted person through the steps using accessibulity menus and keystrokes.

What I am saying is that GIO has become a lifeline to many NPs. I would be saddened if it were to be out of their reach in the future.

--
Sandi Dickenson
ASG Volunteers Group.

Pati Nagle

The groups I'm talking about are not even non-profits. They are little clubs, a few people, and they don't have any income or fundraising at all. Any costs would come out of the members' pockets.

These groups want to support groups.io financially, but the only available option for doing that is too expensive for them.

Mahendra Bakshi

Hello Rick Gray,

You said
>>>I am part of a small non-profit group of about 30 members that I have set up a pilot GIO for, however, with the limit of no sub-groups for the basic plan, it makes things more difficult to achieve an efficient site.

I think there is an alternative that will provide the functionality of sub-group under the Basic Plan.  As I understand it, when sub-group functionality is available in groups.io, the sub-groups are identical copies of the main group except a newly created sub-group does not have any members except the Owner who created it.  Sub-groups are empty to begin with and does not inherit anything such as photos, files, etc from the main group.  The Owner then invites those who should be in the sub-group.  Sub-groups are independent groups with their own website address and home page.  What goes on in sub-group is not shared with the main group and vice versa.

If what I am saying above is inaccurate, I would request members to point out and clarify my understanding.

So for your small non-profit group (snpg), you can create a new Basic group called (snpgCommittee) which will be a "sub-group" for the 3 or 4 Committee members.

Hope this will be helpful to you and others who would like to have sub-groups capability.

Mahendra Bakshi.

To me, a user of simple English, a non-profit organisation is any organisation
which does not make a profit. That probably includes the vast majority of
groups on this platform, including this one, with no income and no expenditure.

Whether or not something is tax deductible depends on which country you live
in. I assume from your reference to "IRS rules" you are thinking only of USA.
Those rules are of no relevance in most of the world. Like most of the
internet, this is an international platform.

Jim Fisher

On 15 Sep 2020 at 11:22, Bob Bellizzi wrote:

I'm  confused.

Simply setting up a nonprofit organization has  some basic costs which must be
covered. But, it would seem that, as a nonprofit, you have the legal ability to
solicit donations from others' who might have an interest in advancing your
cause. Such donations would be tax deductible to the donors under IRS rules.
BTW, what is the name of your non-profit? --
..

Peter Cook

This doesn't seem like the place to have a discussion about the fundamentals of non-profits. (And I regret my own previous participation.)

Pete

Sandi D

Pati,

Your suggestion makes a lot of sense and I do hope it will be considered. I am also on the board of our Home Owner Association. Out HOA is not a profit making organization and GIO is the perfect venue to save meeting minutes, bylaws, announce meetings and discuss topics. Having the option to pay for more GB than the free level offers would be quite useful.

You are so correct about the many small organizations worldwide that are in need of a product like GIO. They need more than the basic option but do not need all the services offered in the $20 a month option and the $20 a month, is too high for them.

--
Sandi Dickenson
ASG Volunteers Group.