Topics

moderated Save draft when editing message #suggestion


 

This has happened to me more than once: I compose a long reply to a group member, including nuances about medication dosages, lab reports, etc., start to edit it for correctness and details before sending, and during the edit, go off to check something like the date on a lab report the member posted. When I come back, the draft is gone. Would it be possible, when editing one's own message, to not lose the draft if you go out of the edit window?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Actually I think I did not make the situation very clear. The request is for drafts of edits of *pending* messages to be saved if the edit window is exited. In my own case, I am editing my own pending messages (because I have myself in mod, in order to give myself that opportunity). But it should not matter who’s doing the editing. I would like drafts of edits of pending messages to be saved if possible.

I don’t know or remember what happens with edits of archived messages, but saving drafts of those seems less important and is not part of this suggestion.


On Sep 12, 2020, at 10:18 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

This has happened to me more than once: I compose a long reply to a group member, including nuances about medication dosages, lab reports, etc., start to edit it for correctness and details before sending, and during the edit, go off to check something like the date on a lab report the member posted. When I come back, the draft is gone. Would it be possible, when editing one's own message, to not lose the draft if you go out of the edit window?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Chris Jones
 

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 06:18 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Would it be possible, when editing one's own message, to not lose the draft if you go out of the edit window?
If you are describing what I think you are then the draft can be made to reappear - at least as a Draft down the left hand side of the web UI - by refreshing the page. Click on that then proceed as before.

Chris


 

No, edits of pending messages are not currently saved. But thanks.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Peter Cook
 

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this how it's supposed to work? At least, that's how it works for me - if I'm writing a message and go to another page before sending it, the message immediately appears in my drafts.


 

It is supposed to work that way for drafts of messsges, and does. So you get used to and expect that behavior. The problem is that it does *not* work that way for drafts of edits of pending messages. So if you’re editing a pending message and you leave the edit window to check something out, or to do whatever (feed your cat), when you come back it’s gone. No draft is saved. Usually I do remember to open a new window on the site if I need to do something else, because I have (to some extent) learned that my edit draft will not be there when I come back. Bug sometimes I forget. 

It’s skin to the situation before message drafts were automatically saved. You can lose everything. And in a way, it is *worse* now, because you (users) have come to expect drafts to be saved, and to rely on that, so you don’t have to worry about it. But in this situation, they are not. It’s always a surprise and for consistency’s sake, if nothing else, it would be nice if they were saved.

I realize this might be tricky. For example, if saved, should the draft be saved as the editor’s draft of the original poster’s draft? Etc. But right now, this seems to be an unfortunate gaping hole through which the unsuspecting can fall.


On Sep 13, 2020, at 6:26 AM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this how it's supposed to work? At least, that's how it works for me - if I'm writing a message and go to another page before sending it, the message immediately appears in my drafts.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Sorry for the many typos in that, particularly the question at the end- should read “should it be saved as the editor’s draft OR the original poster’s draft.” And the clear answer is that it should be saved as the editor’s draft, because that’s who needs access to it. So it’s actually not tricky, at least not in that regard.


On Sep 13, 2020, at 6:49 AM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

It is supposed to work that way for drafts of messsges, and does. So you get used to and expect that behavior. The problem is that it does *not* work that way for drafts of edits of pending messages. So if you’re editing a pending message and you leave the edit window to check something out, or to do whatever (feed your cat), when you come back it’s gone. No draft is saved. Usually I do remember to open a new window on the site if I need to do something else, because I have (to some extent) learned that my edit draft will not be there when I come back. Bug sometimes I forget. 

It’s skin to the situation before message drafts were automatically saved. You can lose everything. And in a way, it is *worse* now, because you (users) have come to expect drafts to be saved, and to rely on that, so you don’t have to worry about it. But in this situation, they are not. It’s always a surprise and for consistency’s sake, if nothing else, it would be nice if they were saved.

I realize this might be tricky. For example, if saved, should the draft be saved as the editor’s draft of the original poster’s draft? Etc. But right now, this seems to be an unfortunate gaping hole through which the unsuspecting can fall.


On Sep 13, 2020, at 6:26 AM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this how it's supposed to work? At least, that's how it works for me - if I'm writing a message and go to another page before sending it, the message immediately appears in my drafts.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu