Topics

moderated Message separator to improve orientation using a screen-reader #suggestion #done

It works across browsers and screen readers now. Thank you!

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Jan Hegr (OK1TE) <ok1te@...> wrote:

I see you're using Bootstrap. There should be a class made just for this purpose called sr-only. If it wouldn't be included in your Bootstrap version, such class definition is easy to find.
So please try to rewrite the styling to <hr class="sr-only">

I've made the change.

Jan Hegr (OK1TE)

Hello Mark,
thank you for so quick response and action. The reason, why Robert and me canot see the element you've added is because style="display: none;" really means it's not intended to be shown and even screen-readers skip such elements.

I see you're using Bootstrap. There should be a class made just for this purpose called sr-only. If it wouldn't be included in your Bootstrap version, such class definition is easy to find.
So please try to rewrite the styling to <hr class="sr-only">

Thank you very much.
Jan

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 11:25 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hello,

I've added an invisible <hr> tag between messages in the Topic view. Please let me know if this works for you.

The HR tag is not working for me when I am viewing a thread. Could this be visible? It would help screen magnifier users too if it were visible to everyone. But when I go into a thread, the HR tag is not showing up between messages in the thread, running NVDA and FireFox.

Hello,

I've added an invisible <hr> tag between messages in the Topic view. Please let me know if this works for you.

I second this. I'd personally opt for the

HTML tag, myself.

If the messages are going to have headings between them, I feel it would take too long to navigate, navigating by heading. Unless each heading is a heading level 2, and the body is not part of that heading.

The subject could be heading 2. I still like the

HTML tag more though.

Write to support@groups.io as well. I suggested this change a while back, but not the

HTML tag.

Jan Hegr (OK1TE)

Hello,
although the service is pretty accessible for the blind, thank you, I'd really appreciate some separator between messages when I view a post thread to be able to quickly skip from a message to  another using a screen-reader.

This could be achieved either by <hr> HTML tag or treat the start of the message as a heading.
I believe both approaches can be styled not to break current visual design, but it would help a lot the blind users to navigate the post threads.

Thank you very much,
Jan