Topics

moderated New feature: Reply to Topic Followers Only (resend) #update

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 4:02 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Can people still follow the topic without responding to it, by actively selecting to follow it? And can people who've responded to it (and therefore automatically follow it) elect to unfollow it later?

Yes to both of those questions.

Mark

Linda King

Okay, I just checked my settings. Mine is set to (reply to) Sender. If I understand correctly, my messages will stay the same they were and are not set to what you described below...correct? (Because what is mentioned below is something I definitely DO NOT want.) I just want to be sure.

Thanks!!!
Linda

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
To: main@beta.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Aug 31, 2020 3:28 pm
Subject: [beta] New feature: Reply to Topic Followers Only (resend) #update

Hi All,
(Resending this to fix the formatting).
I've just pushed a new group, topic and hashtag reply to setting, reply to topic followers only. Here's how it works:
  • The first message in a new topic is sent to everyone in the group as per their normal settings.
  • A follow topic record is created automatically for the person who originated the topic.
  • A follow topic record is created automatically for anyone who replies to this original message.
  • All subsequent messages to the topic are sent only to people who are following the topic.
This is a reply to setting, so if the group is set to that, it will apply to all topics. If a hashtag is set to it, it will only apply to topics with that hashtag. Also, you can take an existing topic and change the reply to to this new setting. When you do that, the system will create follow topic records for everyone that has participated in that topic up to that point.
What does all this mean? It's now easier to have semi-private topics within your group; where only participants see the topic, but where the messages still get archived. You can also take an existing, active topic and hide it from the larger group.
Please let me know if you have questions.
Thanks, Mark

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 03:32 PM, Robert Kingett wrote:
I'm not seeing it in my group settings
I see it. Reply to "topic followers only." It's there.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 3:28 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

This is great! When will this be deployed for everybody because this is super great. Reason I'm asking is I'm not seeing it in my group settings, under reply options.