Topics

locked New feature: Reply to Topic Followers Only #update

<p>Hi All,</p>
<p>I've just pushed a new group, topic and hashtag <code>reply to</code> setting, <code>reply to topic followers only</code>. Here's how it works:</p>
<ul>
<li>The first message in a new topic is sent to everyone in the group as per their normal settings.</li>
<li>A follow topic record is created automatically for the person who originated the topic.</li>
<li>A follow topic record is created automatically for anyone who replies to this original message.</li>
<li>All subsequent messages to the topic are sent only to people who are following the topic.</li>
</ul>
<p>This is a <code>reply to</code> setting, so if the group is set to that, it will apply to all topics. If a hashtag is set to it, it will only apply to topics with that hashtag. Also, you can take an existing topic and change the <code>reply to</code> to this new setting. When you do that, the system will create follow topic records for everyone that has participated in that topic up to that point.</p>
<p>What does all this mean? It's now easier to have semi-private topics within your group; where only participants see the topic, but where the messages still get archived. You can also take an existing, active topic and <code>hide it</code> from the larger group.</p>
<p>Please let me know if you have questions.</p>
<p>Thanks, Mark</p>

And it looks like I just uncovered a (completely unrelated) bug having to do with editing a pending message that was originally composed in Markdown causing the resulting message to be improperly HTML encoded. So I'll be fixing that. :-)

Mark

Mark, can you resend this? It’s coming through with all the HTML. Thx!

On Aug 31, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

<p>Hi All,</p>
<p>I've just pushed a new group, topic and hashtag <code>reply to</code> setting, <code>reply to topic followers only</code>. Here's how it works:</p>
<ul>
<li>The first message in a new topic is sent to everyone in the group as per their normal settings.</li>
<li>A follow topic record is created automatically for the person who originated the topic.</li>
<li>A follow topic record is created automatically for anyone who replies to this original message.</li>
<li>All subsequent messages to the topic are sent only to people who are following the topic.</li>
</ul>
<p>This is a <code>reply to</code> setting, so if the group is set to that, it will apply to all topics. If a hashtag is set to it, it will only apply to topics with that hashtag. Also, you can take an existing topic and change the <code>reply to</code> to this new setting. When you do that, the system will create follow topic records for everyone that has participated in that topic up to that point.</p>
<p>What does all this mean? It's now easier to have semi-private topics within your group; where only participants see the topic, but where the messages still get archived. You can also take an existing, active topic and <code>hide it</code> from the larger group.</p>
<p>Thanks, Mark</p>

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Or maybe it’s just something weird with my phone???

On Aug 31, 2020, at 3:09 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Mark, can you resend this? It’s coming through with all the HTML. Thx!
On Aug 31, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

<p>Hi All,</p>
<ul>
</ul>
<p>Thanks, Mark</p>

--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu