Topics

moderated Enable ability to copy from database entry without going through edit #suggestion

Terry Tegnazian

As a moderator, I occasionally need to reach a member individually, and would like to be able to copy and paste the member's email address from our member database. Right now it takes several steps to do that simple thing. First, I search on the member's name and their one-line entry comes up -- but if I try to copy the email address from that one-line entry, the program immediately opens a full page where I still can't just copy the email address, but must take an extra step to engage the edit function. Could you revise the program to enable us to copy from the one-line entry?
Thanks,
Terry Tegnazian
Westwood Hills

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 05:26 PM, Terry Tegnazian wrote:
but if I try to copy the email address from that one-line entry, the program immediately opens a full page
You can copy the email address from the member list page if you start with your mouse pointer slightly to the left of the email address and then click&hold and drag to select the address.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 03:33 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
You can copy the email address from the member list page if you start with your mouse pointer slightly to the left of the email address and then click&hold and drag to select the address.
That is, if you have mouse cursor. Won't work with many mobile devices.

Backing up...the user record must be openable in some fashion. Currently, the entire table row is clickable for this purpose. To fix this problem (if it is one), we would have to turn one of the columns into a series of clickable links, instead of the entire row.

We can't use the Display Name because sometimes those aren't populated. Using the email address isn't a fix. That leaves us with either the Joined or the Delivery column. Hmmm...not sure I'm fond of that, either.

Those who are advocating this change need to be more explicit in exactly what they want.

Regards,
Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 10:00 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
That is, if you have mouse cursor. Won't work with many mobile devices.
It seems to work fine on my Samsung phone and tablet. I don't have any others to check.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 05:26 PM, Terry Tegnazian wrote:
and would like to be able to copy and paste the member's email address from our member database
Terry,

following on from our private messages I found a work around that may help you for now.

If you try to copy any text from a row when the table is in list view it opens up the details page for that entry as you say. However, it does not do that in Map view.  To get Map view you need a) a premium group that offers that feature and b) a column in your table of type 'address'.  You don't need a value in any address field and you can set it to be hidden by default. Changing the table view from List to Map will display a map above the data rows but with no map pins so you can ignore it.  In this view, you can copy any selected text to your clipboard quite easily without it opening the row details page.

Regards,
Andy