Topics

moderated Schedule regular EXPORTs? #suggestion

One of my groups would like to back up their group regularly to a non-Groups.io site. Currently, it seems, we'd have to manually request an EXPORT every week or month. How about adding the ability to schedule regular EXPORT requests (once a week, I would think, would be the minimum granularity that would be needed, and once a month would probably be acceptable). Basically, it would work the way it does not (email notice that the EXPORT is available for the next 24 hours), then it would be up to the user to make sure it got downloaded, either via an automatic processing of the email, or by manually starting the download.

Any chance?

Duane

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 06:01 PM, Everett Kaser wrote:
Basically, it would work the way it does not (email notice that the EXPORT is available for the next 24 hours), then it would be up to the user to make sure it got downloaded, either via an automatic processing of the email, or by manually starting the download.
That's what you do now.  It sounds like all you want/need is a reminder to do it.  You could use the calendar for that.  Once you request an export, it's all collected automatically, usually within about 10 minutes.  It seems to me that if you have to request the export, you'd be more likely to follow through right away.  If it were scheduled, you'd run the risk of not noticing, then have to request another anyway.

Duane

Duane: The point was that if it could be scheduled to happen, then the email could also be processed (on 'this' end, when it arrives) automatically to download the file unattended and stored on the local backup, with no attention. What you're suggesting still requires manual processing, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Duane

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 06:01 PM, Everett Kaser wrote:
One of my groups would like to back up their group regularly to a non-Groups.io site.
You could use API calls to get a lot of the information (members, message archive, etc.) so a little program on one persons computer could do everything using a scheduling program.  https://groups.io/api

Duane

Rick N

I have an automated routine that runs at noon and midnight without any intervention on my Windows 10 desktop, other than keeping the cookie file updated (every two weeks or so).  Since I download the membership lists for a number of groups that I support, I have a Perl script that generates the batch file.  Here's what a sample line looks like:

curl --output 20200826_1201_laurl_mbr.txt -b H:\cookies.txt "https://groups.io/g/LaurelMdFreecycle/memberlist.csv"

You can download a copy of curl here:  https://curl.haxx.se/windows/

Rick