Topics

moderated Direct Add to subgroup: stay on Direct Add page after adding; allow bulk searches #suggestion #done

Dan Halbert

I am often asked to add multiple people from the main group to a subgroup. Currently this can be somewhat tedious. I have two ideas that I think might make this easier:

1.  Right now I search for each person, check their box, and add them, one at a time. After I click "Add Member", the web interface goes back to the Members page, instead of staying on the Direct Add page. So I have to click "Direct Add' In the left sidebar, and go back to that page. It would be nice if the interface stayed on the Direct Add page. This seems like an easy change.

2. It would be nice if I could do a bulk search. I could search for multiple people, as both names as email addresses. Right now, the search box does an AND of all the search terms, so I can't search for multiple people with different names. Suppose, for instance, that the search box were multi-line: all the terms on a single line would do an AND search, and the results for each line would be OR'd. For example:

Cooper
john.smith@...
Sam Jones

might return:

John Cooper   jcooper@...
Jane Cooper   janec@...
John Smith     john.smith@...
Samuel Jones  sj@...

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 09:47 PM, Dan Halbert wrote:

 After I click "Add Member", the web interface goes back to the Members page, instead of staying on the Direct Add page. ... ... It would be nice if the interface stayed on the Direct Add page.

Agreed.

It would be nice if I could do a bulk search. I could search for multiple people, as both names as email addresses.
If you are an owner or moderator, your search includes names and email addresses.

Right now, the search box does an AND of all the search terms, so I can't search for multiple people with different names.

You can use OR in a search also.  There is an outstanding issue with the search strings though (see https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/71860654) and it can help if you put your search string in quotes. Searching for something like "Smith" OR "Jones" OR "Harris" works fine for me.

Suppose, for instance, that the search box were multi-line:

This would take up too much space on mobile devices where screen real estate is at a premium so I wouldn't go for this.

Andy

Dan Halbert

You can use OR in a search also.  There is an outstanding issue with the search strings though (see https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/71860654) and it can help if you put your search string in quotes. Searching for something like "Smith" OR "Jones" OR "Harris" works fine for me.

Indeed, [ Smith OR Jones ] works in the Members search box. But I had tried "OR" n the Direct Add page search box of a subgroup, and there it does not work when trying find either Smith or Jones as an un-added member. This may be a bug and I will open a new topic for that.

Dan

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 1:47 PM Dan Halbert <halbert@...> wrote:

I am often asked to add multiple people from the main group to a subgroup. Currently this can be somewhat tedious. I have two ideas that I think might make this easier:

1.  Right now I search for each person, check their box, and add them, one at a time. After I click "Add Member", the web interface goes back to the Members page, instead of staying on the Direct Add page. So I have to click "Direct Add' In the left sidebar, and go back to that page. It would be nice if the interface stayed on the Direct Add page. This seems like an easy change.

This is now done. Also, it will now display a flash notice indicating success.

2. It would be nice if I could do a bulk search. I could search for multiple people, as both names as email addresses. Right now, the search box does an AND of all the search terms, so I can't search for multiple people with different names. Suppose, for instance, that the search box were multi-line: all the terms on a single line would do an AND search, and the results for each line would be OR'd. For example:

This member search uses a different mechanism than the `normal` Members search, which is why it doesn't currently support booleans. I hope to switch it over, but I'm not sure when it will happen.

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 09:48 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

It would be nice if the interface stayed on the Direct Add page. This seems like an easy change.

This is now done. Also, it will now display a flash notice indicating success.
The flash notice is displayed at the top of an effectively blank page so you still need to click the Direct Add option from the left side menu to redisplay the input fields.

Regards,
Andy

Dan Halbert

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 08:49 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 09:48 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

It would be nice if the interface stayed on the Direct Add page. This seems like an easy change.

This is now done. Also, it will now display a flash notice indicating success.
Thank you, Mark!

The flash notice is displayed at the top of an effectively blank page so you still need to click the Direct Add option from the left side menu to redisplay the input fields.
Andy, I do not see what you mean. I added myself to a test list, and it went back to the Direct Add page, showing the first page of all the members of the parent group, as it did originally. This was on desktop, not mobile, and it was in a subgroup.

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 02:13 PM, Dan Halbert wrote:
Andy, I do not see what you mean. I added myself to a test list, and it went back to the Direct Add page, showing the first page of all the members of the parent group, as it did originally.
Hi Dan,

I Direct Added a new member to my main group (and checked a box for one of the subgroups). The flash notice about one email address being process is at the top of the page but the rest of it is blank. You need to reselect the Direct Add option from the left side menu to redisplay the input fields so in effect, it doesn't save me any time or mouse clicks.

If you are adding/removing multiple existing members to/from different subgroups, don't forget that this can also be done via the Admin > Subgroups screen.

Andy