Topics

moderated Calendar events - Zoom option #suggestion

Brady Turner

Can the option to make a calendar event a Zoom meeting be added to that existing events can be changed from a non-Zoom to a Zoom event?

The only way to do this now is to cancel the existing event and create a new Zoom event.

Brady Turner

Ry Jones

To pile on - we have a half dozen zoom accounts - could we link them all?

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 2:32 PM, Brady Turner bturner@... wrote:
Can the option to make a calendar event a Zoom meeting be added to that existing events can be changed from a non-Zoom to a Zoom event?

The only way to do this now is to cancel the existing event and create a new Zoom event.

Brady Turner

Ry Jones
Community Architect, Hyperledger

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 05:07 PM, Brady Turner wrote:
Can the option to make a calendar event a Zoom meeting be added to that existing events can be changed from a non-Zoom to a Zoom event?

The only way to do this now is to cancel the existing event and create a new Zoom event.
Just paste the details of your Zoom meeting into the existing calendar event. There's no need to cancel and recreate your event on the calendar..

Andy

Bob Bellizzi

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 09:17 AM, Ry Jones wrote:
To pile on - we have a half dozen zoom accounts - could we link them all?
 You need to be more clear; are you asking about connecting the zoom accounts under a Zoom umbrella account of some sort?
Or for some unknown reason, adding all of your zoom IDs into a calendar event at Groups.io.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Bob Bellizzi

Brady, if you have a repeating event you can do as Andy W said and when you save the event you are updating, you have an opportunity to update only the current one or all following.

--

Bob Bellizzi

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 9:07 AM Brady Turner <bturner@...> wrote:
Can the option to make a calendar event a Zoom meeting be added to that existing events can be changed from a non-Zoom to a Zoom event?

The only way to do this now is to cancel the existing event and create a new Zoom event.

You can already do that. Perhaps you're running into the restriction about repeating events not being Zoom-enabled?

Mark

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 9:17 AM Ry Jones <rjones@...> wrote:
To pile on - we have a half dozen zoom accounts - could we link them all?

Unfortunately due to the way the Zoom API works, that won't work. We use oauth to get a token to use the API. To get that token requires the person to be logged into Zoom. Unfortunately that token has a really short expiration, something on the order of an hour, requiring re-verification by Zoom to get a new token. So we can't just store a bunch of tokens and let anyone use them, because they'd age out almost immediately.

Kenny Paul

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 10:18 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Unfortunately due to the way the Zoom API works, that won't work. We use oauth to get a token to use the API. To get that token requires the person to be logged into Zoom. Unfortunately that token has a really short expiration, something on the order of an hour, requiring re-verification by Zoom to get a new token. So we can't just store a bunch of tokens and let anyone use them, because they'd age out almost immediately.
Perhaps tangentially related and not specific to groups.io is that one of the challenges we've had over the years using zoom create calendar entries (irrespective of the calendar platform) is that it has basically proven to be a one-way pipe.  Zoom will happily create calendar entries, but it has not demonstrated good hygiene at clean-up when meeting is changed or cancelled via zoom,  leaving ghost calendar events scattered about.
--
Kenny Paul, Technical Program Manager for ONAP
The Linux Foundation