Topics

moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

  • CHANGE: When emailing RSVP responders, default the From line to the person sending it (it would normally default to +owner if a mod was sending the message).
  • CHANGE: Exporting event RSVP responses now returns a CSV file, containing all responses.
  • DOCS: Updates from Nina and beta of the new Getting Started Guide for Owners.
  • NEW: Enterprise groups can set the logo used for web push notifications.
  • NEW: When you RSVP yes to an event (and are not waitlisted), you will get an email notification.
  • CHANGE: Only display RSVP additional information fields for moderators/event owners.
  • CHANGE: Consolidated some RSVP notification messages.
  • NEW: When a moderator/event owner changes an RSVP, a notification is sent to the person.
  • CHANGE: Changed help wording of RSVP yes message when creating an event.
  • CHANGE: Locking a topic that contains a poll now also now closes the poll.
  • INTERNAL: Optimized the code for converting an HTML string to plain text to deal with some pathologically large style blocks we encountered in an uploaded file, which was causing exceptionally long runtimes and timeouts.
  • CHANGE: Changed terminology from maybe to not sure for event RSVPs.
  • BUGFIX: Don't send out a yes message email to someone RSVPing to an event if there is no yes message.
  • NEW: You can create files in the Files section that are links to Google Docs/Dropbox/Box/OneDrive documents.
  • BUGFIX: Fixed links in Files search results.

Take care everyone.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:07 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
CHANGE: Locking a topic that contains a poll now also now closes the poll.
I wish this had been announced when it happened.  I've had my #poll-notice hashtags set to lock immediately to prevent replies being posted, as well as to keep folks from trying to 'vote' via email, and didn't realize folks couldn't vote any more.  I've changed them all to moderated and removed the lock setting.  Now to set up a Rejected Message notice that explains they can't vote using reply.

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 07:46 AM, Duane wrote:
I wish this had been announced when it happened.
While trying to figure out when this occurred, I found that there is no log message when a poll is closed.

Duane

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:07 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
CHANGE: Locking a topic that contains a poll now also now closes the poll.

Mark -- I've lately been routinely locking poll topics per a recommendation from Duane. This is to discourage members from "voting by email."

What happens if I instead set the #poll-notice hashtag to locked? Will no one ever be able to vote?

Generally, please help me understand the use case for this change.

Regards,
Bruce

Duane

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 08:10 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
What happens if I instead set the #poll-notice hashtag to locked? Will no one ever be able to vote?
I'm pretty sure that's it.  I had 2 polls open with the hashtag set to lock immediately. Voting had occurred as normal over the last 3 weeks.  When I went to check on them after seeing this, there was no way to vote (only see who responded), so they were apparently closed.  I say 'apparently', because if I chose to Edit Poll, I still had the option of Close Poll, though I couldn't vote.  After I used the Close Poll button, it changed to Reopen Poll.

Duane

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 09:42 AM, Duane wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's it.  I had 2 polls open with the hashtag set to lock immediately. Voting had occurred as normal over the last 3 weeks.  When I went to check on them after seeing this, there was no way to vote (only see who responded), so they were apparently closed.
Thanks...I was afraid of that. I suppose I can find some way to work around it, but Robert's Rules will be more difficult to enforce without separate controls.

Bruce

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 01:46 PM, Duane wrote:
I've had my #poll-notice hashtags set to lock immediately to prevent replies being posted, as well as to keep folks from trying to 'vote' via email,
That's exactly what I've been doing on my group.and it worked well.  It seems I have a hashtag to update and rejection notice to create in my group and over 20 subgroups - time consuming to say the least!

Andy

Duane et al,

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 5:46 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:07 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
CHANGE: Locking a topic that contains a poll now also now closes the poll.
I wish this had been announced when it happened.  I've had my #poll-notice hashtags set to lock immediately to prevent replies being posted, as well as to keep folks from trying to 'vote' via email, and didn't realize folks couldn't vote any more.  I've changed them all to moderated and removed the lock setting.  Now to set up a Rejected Message notice that explains they can't vote using reply.

I wasn't aware that people were depending on this behavior; I would have announced it if I was aware. And actually, I've talked with the enterprise group that requested this and they've come up with a different solution, so I have rolled back this change. Sorry about that.

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Thanks as always for hearing us rolling back the change.

It is something of an annoyance to have to unlock the topic before the associated poll can be closed. If these two actions could be made even more independent of each other, that would be seen as an improvement on my end.

Regards,
Bruce

Bob Bellizzi

"NEW: You can create files in the Files section that are links to Google Docs/Dropbox/Box/OneDrive documents."

 A belated huge thanks for this update, Mark
What we don't find out until we actually use it is that it provides inline viewing of all the file types that Dropbox and the other cloud services support and that groups.io didn't support.
That includes mp4 and just about every file type imaginable.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!
--

Bob Bellizzi