Topics

moderated Event RSVP changes #update

Hi All,

I've just pushed the following changes/improvements to our event RSVP system:

  • If your position on an event waitlist changes, you will be notified by email.
  • You can select either a grid or list display when viewing event RSVPs (remembering this setting is TBD).
  • Moderators and the event owner can now manage RSVPs, changing them to Attending/Not Attending/Not Sure (list view only). These changes are logged in the activity log.
  • If you are on the waitlist for an event, change your RSVP to no or not sure, and then change back to attending, you're put at the back of the waitlist.
  • When someone is moved off the waitlist by the system, it is logged in the activity log.

The RSVP management stuff is pretty complex and I made a lot of changes. I've tested everything, but please let me know if you see anything fishy. Or if you have suggestions.

(Reminder that the RSVP functionality is available to premium groups and free groups that were grandfathered in).

Thanks, Mark

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:14 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've tested everything, but please let me know if you see anything fishy. Or if you have suggestions.
Hi Mark,

Thanks. I spent a few minutes testing this again and have the following comments and suggestions (in the order I found them):

  1. The description under the 'Note To Send Attendees' text box says "Message to send people when they RSVP Yes." but it is only sent (as a separate email) when someone is allocated a space on the event. If they RSVP 'Yes' and end up on a waitlist, they don't get it.  #suggestion - clarify the description for the note.
  2. If the event organiser changes the RSVP status of an attendee to 'not sure' (effectively removing them from the event), no email notification is sent to that attendee. #suggestion: Send an email to the person removed from the event confirming the updated status.
  3. If a person is removed from the event or waitlist, no confirmation email is sent. #suggestion: send confirmation email to state that the person no longer has a place on the event or has been removed from the waitlist
  4. The Additional Information Requested From Attendees field contents are visible to anyone looking at the event response details (which may be public depending upon group settings?). I can see situations where responders enter private information here thinking it will only be viewable by the event organiser. #suggestion: make the contents of this field visible to the event organiser only or at the very least, make it clear that these details can be seen by others.
  5. When a person is initially allocated a space on an event (not via the waitlist), no event date/time email confirmation is sent (just the Note to Attendees). This would be particularly useful for those who predominantly use email and only venture to the Groups.io site to RSVP.  It may also help prevent people repeatedly clicking the update RSVP buttons expecting to receive an email  #suggestion: Send initial email confirmation of a place on the event that shows the event details etc. like they get when they are moved from waitlist and allocated a spot on the event
  6. The Note to Send Attendees and the event date/time details are delivered in separate emails when someone is allocated a spot and moved from the waitlist. I'm not sure why they need to be separated. #suggestion: combine Note to Send Attendees text and event date/time email into one
  7. If the event capacity is reduced below the number of confirmed attendees, no notice is given. #suggestion: issue a screen warning prompt and email to the event organiser.
  8. If a previously confirmed attendee changes their RSVP status to 'Will not attend', no email confirmation is sent to that person. #suggestion: send email confirmation confirming removal of place on event
  9. A person who is waitlisted cannot see themselves as such when viewing the responses but they can see those Attending, Not Attending and Not Sure. #suggestion: make people on the waitlist visible (at least to themselves) when they view responses
  10. A person on a waitlist can only change their RSVP status to 'Update Waitlisted' or 'Will Not Attend'. There is no option to change status to 'not sure' as indicated in the changes/improvements list above.  #suggestion: Allow a change to 'not sure' otherwise being able to see others with a 'not sure' status and allowing event organisers to set it is a bit confusing
  11. On the Actions button drop-down list on the 'View Responses' page, it uses the term 'Maybes' but 'not sure' is the term used elsewhere. #suggestion: use consistent terminology
  12. On the Actions button drop-down list on the 'View Responses' page, the 'Export Responses' option just gives the event details and attendees etc. in a different layout; it does not export anything. #suggestion: remove the option from the drop-down or make it do what it says

That's all for now :-)

Regards,
Andy

Nancy Funk

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I haven't had a chance to play with this yet, but I'm in agreement with Andy's requests, but for now, the ability to control the RSVPs as a moderator is HUGE.

I do have one question regarding the "not sure" or 'maybe" selections, is this a new feature? I don't remember seeing those options before, and for our group, I would disable such a function as we can't operate well with "maybe" as a response.

Nancy

Nancy Funk

So I tested this out. I created an event and responded "Attending", I then received an email with this subject
[Testing] First day of school event information

The email was blank. Is this what we're supposed to receive or is it a bug?

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 11:58 PM, Nancy Funk wrote:
So I tested this out. I created an event and responded "Attending", I then received an email with this subject
[Testing] First day of school event information

The email was blank. Is this what we're supposed to receive or is it a bug?
Hi Nancy,

I have reproduced this and the blank email you received is the Note To Send Attendees. I didn't try leaving it blank on my testing but I sort of covered this in my points 5 & 6 above. If my #suggestion at 6 is implemented then it will eliminate a blank email being sent when no text is entered in the Note To Send Attendees box.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 10:56 PM, Nancy Funk wrote:
I do have one question regarding the "not sure" or 'maybe" selections, is this a new feature? I don't remember seeing those options before, and for our group, I would disable such a function as we can't operate well with "maybe" as a response
Hi Nancy,

as a person can only respond Will Attend or Will Not Attend to an event and management of the responses (where 'not sure' can be set) is new then it must be a new feature.  If a person has their status changed to 'not sure' (or they end up being able to set it themselves - see my #suggestion 10 above) they are not on the waitlist. Anyone one the waitlist gets allocated a space on the event ahead of those who are 'not sure' and on that basis, I don't see it causing an issue. It may even provide the event organiser with an incentive to change/promote the event to encourage those who are 'not sure' to change their RSVP status to Will Attend.

Regards,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 11:57 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
That's all for now :-)
Hi Mark,

I found some extra things during testing (I've continued the number sequence from before even though I can't start a numbered list from a given point):

13. After using the Actions button on the View Responses page to send messages to Responders, Attendees etc. I am returned to the home page of my main group and then have to navigate back to the subgroup and calendar where my test event is defined. #suggestion: keep focus on the calendar event after sending a message
14. Messages sent to responders about places on the event and movements on the waitlist appear to come direct from the event organiser (rather than via Groups.io) so, by default, any replies from a responder go direct to the organiser.  If an Owner/Mod is the event organiser the default 'From' address on messages sent via the Actions button on the View Responses page is group+owner so replies are most likely going to be sent back to that address.  Event responders can therefore get messages about the same event from two different sources and if Mods are set not to receive group+owner emails (our group policy is that they do not) some replies from responders can be easily missed. I know Mods may check the +owner Messages on individual responders' membership records but that's not a practical solution, especially for events that could have a large number of responders. #suggestion: set the default From address on messages sent via the Actions button to be the event organiser

Note for clarity: My references to Event Organiser assume that the person in the Organizer Name field is doing the event management actions on Groups.io, I know they may be different.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers
Andy

Nancy Funk

Andy,

After giving it some thought, I realize the Not Sure option shouldn't be much of a problem. We do have some members who may abuse it, but we'll have to be clear that a Not Sure response will be treated as a Not Attending and we will be making accommodations for Not Sure responses. We are a homeschool group and in general, I have noticed that homeschoolers are not great at showing up to things. We can at least now boot those who make a habit of no-showing to events.

As for the blank email, I sure hope that can be fixed otherwise it will cause all sorts of confusion with my members, and I'll be fielding questions everytime someone gets one fo these emails.

Thanks for all your thorough testing!

Nancy

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 3:57 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

  1. The description under the 'Note To Send Attendees' text box says "Message to send people when they RSVP Yes." but it is only sent (as a separate email) when someone is allocated a space on the event. If they RSVP 'Yes' and end up on a waitlist, they don't get it.  #suggestion - clarify the description for the note.
Changed.
  1. If the event organiser changes the RSVP status of an attendee to 'not sure' (effectively removing them from the event), no email notification is sent to that attendee. #suggestion: Send an email to the person removed from the event confirming the updated status.
  2. If a person is removed from the event or waitlist, no confirmation email is sent. #suggestion: send confirmation email to state that the person no longer has a place on the event or has been removed from the waitlist
We now send an email notification when a moderator/event owner changes someone's RSVP.

  1. The Additional Information Requested From Attendees field contents are visible to anyone looking at the event response details (which may be public depending upon group settings?). I can see situations where responders enter private information here thinking it will only be viewable by the event organiser. #suggestion: make the contents of this field visible to the event organiser only or at the very least, make it clear that these details can be seen by others.
This is no longer displayed for people who are not moderators/event owners. Also, this field is now also displayed in the list view (for appropriate people).
  1. When a person is initially allocated a space on an event (not via the waitlist), no event date/time email confirmation is sent (just the Note to Attendees). This would be particularly useful for those who predominantly use email and only venture to the Groups.io site to RSVP.  It may also help prevent people repeatedly clicking the update RSVP buttons expecting to receive an email  #suggestion: Send initial email confirmation of a place on the event that shows the event details etc. like they get when they are moved from waitlist and allocated a spot on the event
We now send an email with the event details when you RSVP yes to an event.

  1. The Note to Send Attendees and the event date/time details are delivered in separate emails when someone is allocated a spot and moved from the waitlist. I'm not sure why they need to be separated. #suggestion: combine Note to Send Attendees text and event date/time email into one
They have been combined into one email.

  1. If the event capacity is reduced below the number of confirmed attendees, no notice is given. #suggestion: issue a screen warning prompt and email to the event organiser.
We now display the number of attendees when editing an event's maximum # of attendees field.

  1. If a previously confirmed attendee changes their RSVP status to 'Will not attend', no email confirmation is sent to that person. #suggestion: send email confirmation confirming removal of place on event
Not done.

  1. A person who is waitlisted cannot see themselves as such when viewing the responses but they can see those Attending, Not Attending and Not Sure. #suggestion: make people on the waitlist visible (at least to themselves) when they view responses
We now display your response at the top of the view responses page.
  1. A person on a waitlist can only change their RSVP status to 'Update Waitlisted' or 'Will Not Attend'. There is no option to change status to 'not sure' as indicated in the changes/improvements list above.  #suggestion: Allow a change to 'not sure' otherwise being able to see others with a 'not sure' status and allowing event organisers to set it is a bit confusing

For events with a specified max number of attendees, we don't permit people to specify Not Sure.

  1. On the Actions button drop-down list on the 'View Responses' page, it uses the term 'Maybes' but 'not sure' is the term used elsewhere. #suggestion: use consistent terminology
Everything is now 'not sure'.

  1. On the Actions button drop-down list on the 'View Responses' page, the 'Export Responses' option just gives the event details and attendees etc. in a different layout; it does not export anything. #suggestion: remove the option from the drop-down or make it do what it says

It displays all responses on one page. What else should it do?

Andy Wedge

Thanks Mark. I'll look to re-run my tests and report back.

To cover your final point:

It displays all responses on one page. What else should it do?
I thought 'Export' would provide details in something like a CSV format that could be used outside Groups.io and would match similar behaviour from the Export Group Data function. I would say that what it currently does is provide a summary or overview of responses received.

Regards,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:42 PM, Nancy Funk wrote:
As for the blank email, I sure hope that can be fixed
Hi Nancy,

Mark's update suggests that you should no longer have the blank email issue.  I will re-run my tests ASAP.

Regards
Andy

Nancy Funk

So much action on this and just in time as we posted our first hard cap event, which means it is imperative that we be able to manage the RSVPs when our members are too lazy to do so.

Thank you again on behalf of all our moderators and event coordinators. :)

Nancy

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:17 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
For events with a specified max number of attendees, we don't permit people to specify Not Sure.

Hi Mark,

I've never seen an option for someone to respond 'not sure' and only three buttons are available:

A 'Not sure' status can only be set for someone by the event owner/moderator. Did all of your intended changes get pushed out?

Regards
Andy

Charlie Behnken

Hi Mark,

just wanted to mention I was looking at the Calendar for an event I responded Not Attending. On the calendar page it has a typo where it lists the counts and for me  it states You are no attending, instead of You are not attending.

Charlie

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:00 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:17 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
For events with a specified max number of attendees, we don't permit people to specify Not Sure.

Hi Mark,

I've never seen an option for someone to respond 'not sure' and only three buttons are available:

Yes, if you specify a max number of attendees, the Not Sure option will not appear. If you do not cap the number of attendees, the Not Sure option will be there. Moderators/event owners can specify Not Sure for any rsvp, regardless.

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 12:44 PM Charlie Behnken <charles.behnken@...> wrote:

just wanted to mention I was looking at the Calendar for an event I responded Not Attending. On the calendar page it has a typo where it lists the counts and for me  it states You are no attending, instead of You are not attending.

This has been fixed.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 6:48 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

13. After using the Actions button on the View Responses page to send messages to Responders, Attendees etc. I am returned to the home page of my main group and then have to navigate back to the subgroup and calendar where my test event is defined. #suggestion: keep focus on the calendar event after sending a message

Fixed.

[...]

The default From line is now the person sending the message. Previously, it was the +owner address.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 3:16 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
Thanks Mark. I'll look to re-run my tests and report back.

To cover your final point:

It displays all responses on one page. What else should it do?
I thought 'Export' would provide details in something like a CSV format that could be used outside Groups.io and would match similar behaviour from the Export Group Data function. I would say that what it currently does is provide a summary or overview of responses received.

The export function now returns a CSV file with all the responses.

Charlie Behnken

Hi Mark,

I created an event with RSVP last night and accepted it as Will Attend to get myself in the count.  The message I received titled Your RSVP to the xxx Event contained the original Description field and not the Note to Send Attendees.  (Now the five people who accepted the invite don't have the full information).

I tried this two more times today to verify I did not do anything wrong and in those cases I again got the original Description and  not the Note to Send Attendees.  Obviously this used to work fine.

Charlie
P.S.  I also noticed that Google mail is complaining about the RSVP email source  in a big yellow box -
Be careful with this message
Gmail could not verify that it actually came from charles.behnken@.... Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments, or replying with personal information.

Hello,

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 7:53 AM Charlie Behnken <charles.behnken@...> wrote:

I created an event with RSVP last night and accepted it as Will Attend to get myself in the count.  The message I received titled Your RSVP to the xxx Event contained the original Description field and not the Note to Send Attendees.  (Now the five people who accepted the invite don't have the full information).

I tried this two more times today to verify I did not do anything wrong and in those cases I again got the original Description and  not the Note to Send Attendees.  Obviously this used to work fine.

This bug has been fixed. Sorry about that.

Charlie
P.S.  I also noticed that Google mail is complaining about the RSVP email source  in a big yellow box -
Be careful with this message
Gmail could not verify that it actually came from charles.behnken@.... Avoid clicking links, downloading attachments, or replying with personal information.
_._,_._,
I think what I need to do for that is to use the DMARC logic for re-writing From lines, since these messages come from the event organizer. I will do that next week.