Topics

moderated Free premium group trials #update

Mark,
I think this is great.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 3:35 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
J, Duane,

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestions. I've changed the first paragraph. Please let me know what you think:

Groups.io provides an expansive set of web-based group communication tools, including a calendar, wiki, file and photo sharing areas, and chats.
What's unique about us is that all of these features are built around the core email group system. We believe that the type and style of communication an
email group fosters is the best way for many groups to communicate, whether those groups represent companies, organizations, communities, or hobbyists.
Combining the ease of email with the features available on the web, Groups.io strives to be the ultimate communications venue for everyone.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 2:04 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

[speaking of which: aren't companies "organizations"? a little redundant here]

I include organizations because many non-profits and NGOs use us. Happy to tweak the wording if there's a better way to express that.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 01:23 PM, Duane wrote:
, Groups.io strives to be the ultimate communications venue for everyone

Right. The word "everyone" helps because although the current version reads "We believe that the type of communication an email group fosters is the best way for many groups to communicate" [emphasis added] and does not actually say that it's best for all groups, it still comes off sounding that way. So if email is the best way, why have the web-based features at all? It starts by stating (not even giving a plug for) the web-based features and then undermining that by saying, or seeming to say, that email is best.

I think you could fix this by just changing the word order and damping down the enthusiasm a bit, something along the lines of "For some groups, whether they represent companies, organizations, communities, or hobbyists [speaking of which: aren't companies "organizations"? a little redundant here], email may be a preferable way to communicate." Currently it sounds like you're saying "Hey, we built this around the web but email is better."

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 11:53 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Maybe just a change in title would help, and/or some language in the page itself, along the lines of why *also* include an email listserv.
J and I have exchanged a few emails looking for an improvement to the language on the "Why Email Groups" page.  So far, it would seem that adding a sentence to the top paragraph might work best:
"Combining the ease of email with the features available on the web, Groups.io strives to be the ultimate communications venue for everyone." or something along those lines.  This is based on previous messages by Mark.

Duane

Mark,

I read the "Why Email Groups" page and it makes some great points. But is there also a page for the non-email features? If you leave it at "Why Email Groups," it seems almost like an ad for yahoo groups, since the page points out the *superiority* of using email over web-based groups. Maybe just a change in title would help, and/or some language in the page itself, along the lines of why *also* include an email listserv.

Bob Morley

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 01:08 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
the option of a 30 day free trial of (almost all) premium features.
Wow, this is fantastic. I am now in nerd heaven. Now I can't believe that you didn't do this right from the get-go. Obviously, this is fantastic for testing and tire-kicking Premium issues for those that don't already have a Premium group.

I know that you have a requirement that test groups be private, etc. Do you have a problem with me (us in general) creating new test groups from time to time as the 30 day window expires?

--
Gerald

Great idea!

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 9:08 AM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I just pushed a new update to the site. When creating a new group, you now have the option of a 30 day free trial of (almost all) premium features. Here's how it works:

  • The create a group flow now goes through the Plans & Pricing page, where you can select either a free trial of a premium group or a regular, basic group.
  • When you trial a premium group, you have access to all premium features except: direct add, and the ability to change a member's email address.
  • One week before the end of your trial, you'll get an email reminder.
  • You can upgrade to a paid premium plan at any point during the trial, and it will start at the end of the 30 days.
  • If you opt not to pay for a premium plan, your group will automatically be downgraded to free at the end of 30 days. If you have created any subgroups, those will be deleted at that time.
  • Free premium group trials are not currently available for existing groups.
  • I've also added a new marketing page, Why Email Groups?.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or suggestions for improvements.

Thanks, Mark