Topics

locked only emailed photos show up in "recent photos" on home page #bug?

Photos posted to albums don't show up in my group's "recent photos" on the home page, ever.  Emailed photos, OTOH, always show up there, and stay there prominently even after more recent ones are posted to albums.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:48 AM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Photos posted to albums don't show up in my group's "recent photos" on the home page, ever.  Emailed photos, OTOH, always show up there, and stay there prominently even after more recent ones are posted to albums.

Not a bug, as that's how it works. Not sure if combining emailed photos with photos uploaded to the Photos section would add to confusion or not. It would be a bit of engineering work to make it happen.

Ok. Maybe if it's too hard to change the functionality, you could think about changing the wording. When I read "recent photos" I don't think "recent emailed photos." I don't think most members/users distinguish in their minds between photos that were posted and photos that happened to be emailed, so I think it looks weird if "recent photos" displays photos from two months ago, when people are posting newer ones all the time. The term "recent emailed photos," although awkward (maybe there's something better), is at least accurate and would not cause people to think their photos are being passed up for "recent photos."

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 7:48 AM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Photos posted to albums don't show up in my group's "recent photos" on the home page, ever.  Emailed photos, OTOH, always show up there, and stay there prominently even after more recent ones are posted to albums.

Not a bug, as that's how it works. Not sure if combining emailed photos with photos uploaded to the Photos section would add to confusion or not. It would be a bit of engineering work to make it happen.

_._,_._,_

Mark,

Not a bug, as that's how it works.
So, the key here is that word "Posted" - which one might argue refers only to message posting. I'll side with J in believing that it would be less surprising if that area of the home page reflected uploaded photos as well.

Not sure if combining emailed photos with photos uploaded to the Photos
section would add to confusion or not.
I don't think so.

I don't see what leads to that concern. After all, the Photos section already mingles things a bit by having the "Emailed Photos" album.

It would be a bit of engineering work to make it happen.
Hopefully starting with giving Photos a permalink (as messages have) so that it is easy to refer to them. Albums too. ;-)

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Edited

I wondered about Shal's use of the word "posted" here and disagreed (mentally) with it [EDIT: I disagreed with changing the terminology to that, although I understood what was meant - "sent in a post"]. I now see that the terminology has been hanged to "recently posted photos." I think this is not an improvement and may be even more confusing than before!

When I "upload" a photo to a group's photo section, I think of myself as "posting" it to the group. The word "post" does not, to me, mean "email" [EDIT: does not to me mean "email" or "attach to a message"]. I think of adding any content to the group, no matter what means I use to do it, as "posting." So again, or still, on my group's home page, we have photos that were emailed a long time ago showing up as "recently posted" while photos that people uploaded yesterday, and excitedly, and wanting group members to be aware of, are bypassed and go silently in the night....

I see the home page as similar to the front page of a newspaper, touting headlines from the stories inside. The "recent photos" screams "read all about it!" It seems like they should actually be the most recent, whether emailed ("posted") or uploaded. I think to change the language to something most people will relate to, [EDIT: meaning, if the software change is infeasible and you want to instead clarify the language to something people will understand and that won't look like a bug] I would use "recently emailed photos."

Rather than edit this again, I'll add this: I don't think either language change works to clarify the situation. The terms "recent photos", "recently emailed photos", and "recently posted photos" strike me as equally incorrect/misleading.

I think it boils down to the intended purpose of the "recent photos" idea. Are they supposed to alert members to the group's most recent photos? If so, I think the only effective change would be to include "uploaded" photos too (i.e., make the engineering changes alluded to, no matter how difficult).

In my group, at least, members are more likely to upload (I almost said "post") photos than to email them or attach them to a message/post. So this feature is missing the majority of photos added to the group. I'd almost rather disable the feature than have it only include photos that were emailed or attached to a post. (I'm not asking for an option to disable the feature.;) I'm just saying it's nearly useless for groups where members usually "upload" their photos.)

The following crossed my mind because of the conversation about hiding photo data:

Does the "emailed photos" album include only photos that were actually emailed, or does it also include photos that were attached to a web-posted message? If it includes both, perhaps it was named before the ability to attach photos to web posts came into existence, and should be renamed?

I'm understanding three categories of photos at this point, and am slightly confused about the terminology: (1) emailed photos, (2) photos that were attached to a web-posted message, and (3) photos that were uploaded to the photos section. Ultimately I hope that they will all get the same treatment, at least visibly, because to me as a user, how a photo got into the site makes no difference - whether I emailed, posted, or uploaded it, I think of that as adding my photo to the group's content. I realize that at this point, at least the emailed photos are treated differently from uploaded photos, because of a programming issue. But do you include web-posted attached photos in "posted photos" and/or "emailed photos"?

J,

Does the "emailed photos" album include only photos that were actually
emailed, or does it also include photos that were attached to a
web-posted message?
The latter.

If it includes both, perhaps it was named before the ability to attach
photos to web posts came into existence, ...
That's certainly true.

... and should be renamed?
That's debatable.

As was pointed out in an earlier discussion along these lines, the messages created via the site's Post and Reply functions are effectively email messages. It just happens that you used a different email user interface to create them.

In Yahoo Groups classic such messages really were email: the web interface generated an email message and sent it into the same email servers used to process messages that came in from "outside". Conceptually (as users without a view "under the hood") Groups.io might work that way too.

Looked at another way, if you use Gmail's web user interface do you claim that those messages weren't email because they were generated on the web rather than through a traditional email client application? If not, why object to calling messages created by Groups.io's web user interface "email"? They have all the characteristics of email: a header (To, From, Subject, and other fields), a text body, and (now) attachments. They are subject to moderation and distribution to members same as email messages from outside.

I'd say they quack like a duck.

I'm understanding three categories of photos at this point, and am
slightly confused about the terminology: (1) emailed photos, (2) photos
that were attached to a web-posted message, ...
These two I claim are fundamentally the same. The difference being no more significant than one's choice to use Gmail versus an ISP email service.

... and (3) photos that were uploaded to the photos section.
Yup. These have a different user interface with different features (Album management) and different rules.

Ultimately I hope that they will all get the same treatment, at least
visibly, because to me as a user, how a photo got into the site makes no
difference - whether I emailed, posted, or uploaded it, I think of that
as adding my photo to the group's content.
I strongly agree. I think Mark does too, as evidenced by the "Emailed Photos" album - it is a means of providing a somewhat unified user interface for them.

I realize that at this point, at least the emailed photos are treated
differently from uploaded photos, because of a programming issue.
I don't know what behind-the-scenes issue causes only the "emailed" (via Post, Reply, or from the outside) photos to show on the group's home page. However I agree with you that the best (least confusing) outcome would for the images uploaded via the Photos section to be included there as well.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Edited

Shal,

So, to summarize the current situation:

1. "emailed photos" is a synonym for "posted photos"

2. "emailed photos" is used in reference to the "emailed photos" album, "posted photos" is used in reference to the "recently posted photos," and users are supposed to understand that the "recently posted photos" are the most recent photos in the "emailed photos" album;

3. both of these terms are distinct from "uploaded photos", and users are supposed to understand that when they "upload" a photo, they're not really "posting" it in the terminology here.

I'm glad you agree that this is too confusing!

Worse than being confusing, though, is still my concern that because "uploaded" photos are not now considered candidates for "recently posted photos," users will see the home page and feel their current photos have somehow been missed or passed up, while months-old photos continue to be displayed as the "recently posted" ones. [EDIT - addendum: Also, the other members will not see the new photos on the home page, and will not be alerted that some possibly awesome new photos have been added to the group. I am purposely saying "added" rather than "posted";)]

p.s. I think the one adjective that would be clear in everyone's mind, including users, to describe "emailed or web-posted attached" photos, would be "attached." I think that's much more clear, at least until the real problem is solved, than using either "emailed" or "posted" (and using "emailed" in one place and "posted" in another, when they're being used as synonyms). That would result in the "attached photos" album and the "recently attached photos" display. It's an awkward term but at least it would not confuse anyone.