Topics

moderated Moderator notifications enabled for all #update

Great, thanks!

On Jul 15, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:45 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 11:54 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've just changed it so that moderator notifications are also not emailed to the moderator who generated them
Mark, I just received (again) a totally startling push notification that the group has a new member, right after I approved the member. I know the "action" is technically by the member who joined, but in a restricted group, it is actually an action by a moderator approving the membership. So I think the notifications shouldn't go out about a new member to the moderator who approved the member.

I've just made this change.

Cheers,

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 11:45 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 11:54 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've just changed it so that moderator notifications are also not emailed to the moderator who generated them
Mark, I just received (again) a totally startling push notification that the group has a new member, right after I approved the member. I know the "action" is technically by the member who joined, but in a restricted group, it is actually an action by a moderator approving the membership. So I think the notifications shouldn't go out about a new member to the moderator who approved the member.

I've just made this change.

Cheers,
Mark

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 11:54 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've just changed it so that moderator notifications are also not emailed to the moderator who generated them
Mark, I just received (again) a totally startling push notification that the group has a new member, right after I approved the member. I know the "action" is technically by the member who joined, but in a restricted group, it is actually an action by a moderator approving the membership. So I think the notifications shouldn't go out about a new member to the moderator who approved the member.

Mark,

I've been trying to grasp all the new notification variations and hope this summary is not too far off. Does this begin to describe the events and subsequent notifications?

One thing that stood out at me is that the notices sent to Moderators don't carry a hashtag.

This means that group activities (e.g. File, Photo, Wiki changes) create two different types of notices: a Group Notice and a Moderator Notice. The Group Notice is optional (as you've noted), has the corresponding hashtag, posts to the group's messages, and the web/app is opt-in. The Moderator Notice is not controlled by the person who took the action, does not carry a hashtag, is not stored on site, and is Opt-out for both email and web/app.

Member Notices (generated manually via the Members list, or automatically via the Member Notices tab of the group Settings page) are like Moderator Notices in that they do not carry a hashtag, and are not stored on site, but they cannot be opted-out by the member.

You also need a row for "Message posted in a Topic with a hashtag" because they act like Group Notices too: the member can opt-in for a web/app notification of such message postings. Yup, any old hashtag, not just the system-defined ones.

I haven't done a cross-check with the Notifications page in GMF's Wiki, but that may turn up something if you haven't done that already.

Shal

Mark Murphy

I've been trying to grasp all the new notification variations and hope this summary is not too far off. Does this begin to describe the events and subsequent notifications?

Event or Action System Hashtag Notice Sent To Web/App
Calendar event cancelled #cal-cancelled Group Opt-in
Calendar invitation created #cal-invite Group Opt-in
Calendar notice created #cal-notice Group Opt-in
Calendar reminder created #cal-reminder Group Opt-in
Chat created or modified #chat-notice Group Opt-in
Database table created or modified   Moderators Opt-out
File folder modified #file-notice Group Opt-in
File uploaded #file-notice Group* Opt-in
Group content reported   Moderators Opt-out
Guidelines updated #guidelines-notice Group Opt-in
Member approval pending   Moderators Opt-out
Member join or leave   Moderators Opt-out
Message approval pending   Moderators Opt-out
Monthly notice sent #monthly-notice Group Opt-in
Photo album modified   Moderators Opt-out
Photo uploaded #photo-notice Moderators Opt-out
Group* Opt-in
Poll created or sent #poll-notice Group Opt-in
Storage limit reached   Moderators Opt-out
Subgroup created or deleted   Moderators Opt-out
Wiki page created or modified #wiki-notice Moderators Opt-out
Group* Opt-in
 * Group notification is optional when the action is performed

kjhkjh

* asdfasdf

Mark,
Great! Thanks.

Hi All,

I've just changed it so that moderator notifications are also not emailed to the moderator who generated them. Previously moderator notifications didn't generate push notifications for the moderator who generated them (this is still the case as well) but were still emailed to them.

Cheers,
Mark

That’s true, since web/app won’t be sent to me. Also avoids the delay lol.

On Jul 3, 2020, at 10:54 PM, Shal Farley <@Shal> wrote:

J,

It's the combination of the notification going to the person who did
the action plus the delay. They compound each other.
I don't find it to be irritating, but you can avoid both issues by choosing Web/app notification instead of email.

Of course that has the downside that you (generally) don't have a record of the events that happened while you were sleeping or otherwise occupied. I say "generally" because your OS or device may have a means to keep and review a log of recent web/app notifications.

Shal

J,

It's the combination of the notification going to the person who did
the action plus the delay. They compound each other.
I don't find it to be irritating, but you can avoid both issues by choosing Web/app notification instead of email.

Of course that has the downside that you (generally) don't have a record of the events that happened while you were sleeping or otherwise occupied. I say "generally" because your OS or device may have a means to keep and review a log of recent web/app notifications.

Shal

DeniseD,

I thought we were given the option to have it go through the group or
not but regardless it is going through the group.
It only goes to the group if the person who uploads the file checks the "Notify Members" box (and the group hasn't set #file-notice to moderated).

Moderators can control if and how they receive Moderator Notices of various types through controls on their Subscription page.

There's a summary of the Notification controls here:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/21482
(the Wiki is public, no logon or membership required)

Shal

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 02:46 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
That's true for browser push notifications as I understand it, but as you found out, you still get the email several minutes later.
Right. And like you, I think the delay reduces its usefulness, and in the case of the notification going to the moderator who did the action, the delay makes it actually pretty useless (as well as irritating). It's the combination of the notification going to the person who did the action plus the delay. They compound each other.

DeniseD

Thanks for that

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 8:06 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
No, it’s not going to the group. Just the moderator.

On Jul 3, 2020, at 2:55 PM, DeniseD <denisedavidson98@...> wrote:

I totally agree.  I thought we were given the option to have it go through the group or not but regardless it is going through the group.  Very annoying

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 2:52 AM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I honestly can't keep track any more of what is and isn't supposed to happen, but I was under the impression that if someone did action, they would not receive notification for the action. I just uploaded a file, and about ten minutes later received an email notification that a file had been uploaded. This is not only useless but also annoying.

[...]

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 05:52 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
but I was under the impression that if someone did action, they would not receive notification for the action.
That's true for browser push notifications as I understand it, but as you found out, you still get the email several minutes later.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 05:52 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I honestly can't keep track any more of what is and isn't supposed to happen...
IIRC not receiving a notification of something that you have done yourself applies to push notifications, not emailed ones.

I am also having problems working things out; see this thread. I am still investigating, but it is a long process and I have to (a) await for the "aggregation delay" each time and (b) stop regularly in the hope of working out what I have and have not seen. IMHO as things stand the "Notifications" have the potential to cause more than a little confusion.

Chris

I honestly can't keep track any more of what is and isn't supposed to happen, but I was under the impression that if someone did action, they would not receive notification for the action. I just uploaded a file, and about ten minutes later received an email notification that a file had been uploaded. This is not only useless but also annoying.

Beth Weld

Thanks Mark
This will be helpful for a number of groups - but one idea if/when you roll it out to the membership.  Can you make them opt in instead of having to opt out like the moderators are set please?  I have a number of subgroups with several moderators, and they don't always want to see notifications. I have been explaining and turning off, but I can't do that with the membership.
Thanks again
Beth

Thanks a lot, Mark!

I´ve been waiting for this and I am glad it´s enabled.

Cheers and have a good vacation time!

Victoria

Hi All,

The new moderator notifications, for chat, photos, files, database, and wiki activity, have been enabled for all moderators. This also includes new settings in the Moderator Notifications panel in the Subscription and group member pages.

Cheers, Mark