Topics

moderated Create +mute, +follow, and +unfollow group addresses, use in message footers. #suggestion

Mark,

One of the complaints about the notification overhaul is that many members are email-only, and have no way to mute undesired notifications. The links in message footers are not a solution because they are web links, and one must log in to complete the action.

Granted that logging in is very easy with Groups.io, many members refuse or are extremely reluctant to do so, seeing it as an unnecessary imposition on their enjoyment of group messages.

Converting the message footer links to mailto: links, using new group addresses +mute, +follow, and +unfollow seems like a workable solution to these concerns. The topic number or hashtag in question can be put in the Subject text of the created message.

Shal

Would that run a (previously mentioned) risk that people who get hold of an email (e.g., through forwarding) but are the actual original recipient (or even group members, possibly) could act on that recipient's account?

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 09:41 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
but are the actual original recipient
typo, should read: "but are not the actual original recipient"

J,

Would that run a ... risk that people who get hold of an email ... but
are [not] the actual original recipient ... could act on that
recipient's account?
No.

To do anything of the sort they'd have to forge the original recipient's From address. If they can do that then they can use any of the email addresses, including +unsubscribe. This vulnerability is closed off by the fact that all such "email commands" (I call them) send a confirmation request with reply required.

Shal