Topics

moderated Notifications about your own actions #misc

Not sure about this one, but I just got a web/app notification of a new member, when I was the one who approved the new member. So do we want this? Again, it's nothing I can't live with but seems disconcerting. I was the one who did the approval action, but the description is along the lines of "there's a new member" and doesn't directly mention the approval.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 10:15 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Yes and yes. (No it's not confusing.;)
Whoa, that did not make sense. I meant to say yes to the first, no to the second.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 11:17 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
email and push notifications behave differently
So do cats and dogs. :)

Chris Jones

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 06:45 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
For pending messages, pending subscriptions, spam resub, join group, and create subgroup moderator notifications, if your action generated the notification, you will not receive a push notification. You will continue to receive an email notification.
I can see the logic to this, however the result is that overall email and push notifications behave differently. Anyone used to email notifications only (i.e. the existing system) will see one set of actions / responses but if they change to using push notifications only they will get a different set. This may (will?) lead to confusion. A notification of any action, even if instigated by "me" has the advantage that it tells the me that "Groups.io has done what you wanted".

Chris

Hi All,

I've changed the push notifications policy as follows:

For pending messages, pending subscriptions, spam resub, join group, and create subgroup moderator notifications, if your action generated the notification, you will not receive a push notification. You will continue to receive an email notification.

For spam unsubscribe notifications, you will continue to receive push notifications for your own spam unsubscribes.

For storage overage notifications, since they aren't generated necessarily by a single person/action, you will continue to receive those push notifications regardless.

Again, this only affects push notifications, and only if you have them set up.

Yes and yes. (No it's not confusing.;)

Hi All,

The existing moderator notifications (pending subscriber/message/etc) are always sent to the appropriate moderators, both email and push notifications (if you have them configured).

When I set up the new moderator notifications (create a chat/add file/etc), I set it so that if you were the person doing the thing that triggered the notification (ie you were the one that uploaded the photo), that you would not receive the notification, either as an email or push notification.

I have a couple of questions, triggered by J's request:

- Should I extend that change to the existing moderator notifications?
- Should the policy instead be that email moderator notifications are always sent, but push notifications are not sent in the case where you did the thing that generated the notification?

Hopefully this isn't too confusing....