Topics

moderated 'No email' attribute ignored on 'file' hashtag #bug

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

just in case this point got lost in the long discussions about the new notifications I thought I'd raise it separately.

The 'No email' attribute is ignored on the #file hashtag. I had 'no email' specified but an email was still sent to my test subgroup.

I initially thought the 'notify members' checkbox option took precedence over the 'no email' attribute of the hashtag but an email is sent even if the 'notify members' box is unchecked.

Regards,
Andy

That is a double bug, because if you check "no email," the push notification is silenced. It's stated that the push only goes out whenever an email goes out. So evidently, push thinks the email didn't go out, even though it did. (I tested this yesterday for a completely different reason. Since turning the email back on restored the push, I assumed that no-email was working, at least on its own.) Mark said yesterday that he would look into the behavior of no-email because of the resulting push behavior. (Also the fact that the notification is still sent to the group, even if not emailed.) The whole thing does not jive.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 06:15 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
ignored on the #file hashtag
Actually I tested it only for the #wiki tag, and my prior message refers to that. It needs to be tested for all of them at this point.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 06:15 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I had 'no email' specified but an email was still sent to my test subgroup.
Andy, do you mean actual emails were sent out to group members, or do you mean that a message was sent to the subgroup? "No email" just means (for a normal hashtag) that the messages in the tagged topic are sent only to the web archive and don't go out as individual emails.

The whole "no email" issue on notification hashtags is problematic. I'm proposing (as in my last message, in the other thread) that that setting, and other inappropriate settings, be eliminated by the system on notification hashtags altogether, or at least turned off by default.

Hello,

The bug where a hashtag with No Email set would not generate a notification has been fixed.