Topics

moderated Web notifications now enabled #update

Hi All,

I just enabled web push notifications on the website. This is the first part of the notifications overhaul. Here is what is new and/or changed:

  • Web push notifications are now supported for Chrome, Firefox and Opera browsers via a new Notifications tab in the Account section. Safari is not yet supported.
  • You can now specify to have push notifications sent on a per-hashtag basis. Go to the Hashtags page for a group, click the Edit link and then check the Web/App Notifications checkbox.
  • Moderator notifications will now be sent by default via both email and web push notifications, if you have web notifications configured. Moderator notification settings are now dropdowns instead of checkboxes. The dropdown options are: Email and Web/App, Email Only, Web/App Only, and None, with Email and Web/App being the default. If you have something set to Email and Web/App, but don't have web notifications enabled, it will behave as before and just send you notifications via email.
  • Moderator notifications for pending members and pending messages will now only be sent to moderators with privileges to approve them. Previously these notifications were sent to all moderators. Also, the options to set/change these notifications no longer appear in the Subscription page for moderators without those privileges.

For those that have been following the notifications discussions, this is a bit different than my original hashtag notifications proposal, in that the moderator notifications settings have not been eliminated and replaced with hashtags.

There is more work to be done with the notifications overhaul, including adding a whole bunch more notifications and figuring out where those notifications should live. I will continue that discussion in the New notifications proposal topic that Shal most recently responded to last night.

Please let me know if you see any problems with these new features. I've had the moderator web notifications turned on for Beta over the past week, and I've definitely appreciated having them.

Thanks, Mark

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see any problems with these new features.
Hi Mark,

I feel like I must be missing something here.  I logged in with my 'member' account and switched on the notifications for the browser (Chrome for this test) and then in my test subgroup enabled notifications for a hashtag. Then, from my owner account (using Firefox) I sent a message to the test subgroup with the hashtag enabled by my 'member' account.  I receive no notification in the Chrome browser that was still open.  What did I miss?

Regards,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see any problems with these new features.
Hi Mark,

can you clarify the relationship between the Mute/Follow hashtag settings and the Web/App notification? If a hashtag is muted, will push notifications still be sent to the browser? Conversely, if Subscription > Advanced Preferences are set to Following Only, are push notifications only sent for followed hashtags and is the First Message Also setting honoured?

Thanks
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see any problems with these new features.
Hi Mark,

when I enabled notifications in my Account using Firefox on my laptop I see this:

But when I login to the same account through Firefox on my mobile, I see this:

The Enable Notifications In This Browser button does nothing and it doesn't seem right to have an Enable and Disable button here.

Regards,
Andy

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:38 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I feel like I must be missing something here.  I logged in with my 'member' account and switched on the notifications for the browser (Chrome for this test) and then in my test subgroup enabled notifications for a hashtag. Then, from my owner account (using Firefox) I sent a message to the test subgroup with the hashtag enabled by my 'member' account.  I receive no notification in the Chrome browser that was still open.  What did I miss?

You've missed nothing, that's apparently a bug. I haven't been able to track it down but I added some more logging to hopefully give me some clues. Can you send another test message?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

can you clarify the relationship between the Mute/Follow hashtag settings and the Web/App notification? If a hashtag is muted, will push notifications still be sent to the browser? Conversely, if Subscription > Advanced Preferences are set to Following Only, are push notifications only sent for followed hashtags and is the First Message Also setting honoured?

The web/app notifications checkbox is completely unrelated to any muting or following setting. One setting does not affect the other.

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- I'm still confused...or perhaps I should say, more confused than normal. :-)

Although I've just enabled it (Chrome/W10), I'm still not seeing any function by which to receive or retrieve a "web push notification." How is this implemented? Will there be an icon with a number (like FB) to click on, a banner notice, a new filter for the activity log, or ???.

Thanks,
Bruce

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 02:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Moderator notifications for pending members and pending messages will now only be sent to moderators with privileges to approve them. Previously these notifications were sent to all moderators. Also, the options to set/change these notifications no longer appear in the Subscription page for moderators without those privileges.
Yay for that. (Now if we could also make actions on those pending things visible in logs only to moderators with those permissions...)

It will take me some time to work through this. However, I think I missed something major here. It seems this whole deal is available only for mobile? I did go into the Notifications section in my account using Firefox and saw the following (boldface added for "mobile"):

In addition to email, you can receive notifications about events through push notifications on your mobile device and browser.

You currently have no devices enabled to receive notifications.

Note: Notifications are activated per device and browser. To receive notifications on multiple devices, sign in on each device, enable notifications, and make sure you're online.

Desktop notifications are not supported in this browser.

 So in other words, nothing has changed for desktop? I'm about to read the rest of this thread so maybe something will reveal itself in that process.

p.s. I'm on a Macbook, if that makes any difference.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 7:11 PM J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I think I missed the word "push," so this is only available for mobile at this point. I typically don't use mobile for groups.io so I'll just have to wait for what I'm hoping/assuming is the notification overhaul for non-mobile?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 7:37 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I think I missed the word "push," so this is only available for mobile at this point. I typically don't use mobile for groups.io so I'll just have to wait for what I'm hoping/assuming is the notification overhaul for non-mobile?

It's not for mobile (or at least not only for mobile). It's mainly for desktop (and won't work at all on IOS yet). I'm not sure why it's not showing up in your Firefox. You may need to go into the Mac Settings app and allow notifications for Firefox.

Mark

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 6:36 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- I'm still confused...or perhaps I should say, more confused than normal. :-)

Although I've just enabled it (Chrome/W10), I'm still not seeing any function by which to receive or retrieve a "web push notification." How is this implemented? Will there be an icon with a number (like FB) to click on, a banner notice, a new filter for the activity log, or ???.

No, there's no notifications center or red badge of unread notifications. Your desktop browser has the capability to display notifications (if you've configured it as such). This is just a way for your browser to send you notifications. Do you ever go to a website and it pops up a dialog box asking if you'd like to be sent notifications about updates? This is that, but less obnoxious.

Mark

Ok. If it’s not only for mobile, I would change that wording.

Beyond that, I believe this whole thing is going to confuse many, if not most, users. It will  definitely need some solid user instructions, preferably mostly on the site.

On Jun 15, 2020, at 8:41 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 7:37 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I think I missed the word "push," so this is only available for mobile at this point. I typically don't use mobile for groups.io so I'll just have to wait for what I'm hoping/assuming is the notification overhaul for non-mobile?

It's not for mobile (or at least not only for mobile). It's mainly for desktop (and won't work at all on IOS yet). I'm not sure why it's not showing up in your Firefox. You may need to go into the Mac Settings app and allow notifications for Firefox.

Mark,

All these years I’ve been thinking that the planned “notification overhaul” I’ve been fantasizing about, and eagerly awaiting, would consist of including more information as possible notification options - e,g., “sent message to member,” and all the other many notifications that are “missing” and have been requested. I didn’t think that the overhaul would consist of the notification *method*. I thought it was going to be about *content*. So while I have no objection (at least so far;) to this new method besides the fact that it’s initially confusing, I am still hoping that you also plan to add notification content. Is that a correct assumption?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 08:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I'm not sure why it's not showing up in your Firefox. You may need to go into the Mac Settings app and allow notifications for Firefox.
Mark, I'm in the dark on this. I don't know what you mean by the Mac Settings app. I went into System Preferences and found Notifications and nothing is turned off. Ditto within Firefox itself, at least not that I can see. Can you clue me in?

Dave Sergeant

Yes, also in the dark and trying to get my head round it.

I get the "Desktop notifications are not supported in this browser."
message. This is on Palemoon (Firefox compatible), it looks like a
fairly restricted subset of browsers are supported at the moment.

Since I do everything via email it is not something I would use myself
anyway.

Dave

On 15 Jun 2020 at 21:50, J_Catlady wrote:

Mark, I'm in the dark on this.

http://davesergeant.com

Bruce,

Although I've just enabled it (Chrome/W10), I'm still not seeing any
function by which to receive or retrieve a "web push notification."
I'm with you. Although I see the new UI controls (drop-list for moderator notifications, checkbox for hashtags) I don't see any hint of notifications, even when I deliberately take an action that should provoke one.

I checked Firefox's exclusion list for sites where I've blocked notifications, Groups.io was not in that list. I've now added it as Allowed. I turned off Cortana's hiding of notifications because it thought I had a window full screen somewhere.

No clue what else to check.

At least I found out where to look - in the address bar or hanging under it (if browsed to Groups.io). Not sure where if it is a push, probably lower right corner of the main display, as Thunderbird does.

Shal
Firefox 77.0.1 (64-bit)
Win 10 Pro 1903.

Dave Sergeant

And for information:
https://www.palemoon.org/info-url/push.shtml
**************************
Push notifications in Pale Moon

Web Push allows websites to notify users of new messages or updated
content. While the browser is open, websites who have been granted
permissions can send notifications to your browser and display them on
the screen, even when you don't have a page open to that website.

For privacy reasons, Web Push is not considered a supported feature in
Pale Moon; the DOM interface is disabled by default (indicating to
sites it's not a supported API) and Pale moon does not include the UI
components to properly deal with Web Push, so even if you enable it in
the advanced configuration editor, it may not provide you with the
controls or interface to properly manage it. Do not enable this
platform feature in Pale Moon.
*************************

On 16 Jun 2020 at 6:57, Dave Sergeant wrote:

I get the "Desktop notifications are not supported in this browser."
message. This is on Palemoon (Firefox compatible), it looks like a
fairly restricted subset of browsers are supported at the moment.
Dave

http://davesergeant.com

Hi J,

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:08 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

All these years I’ve been thinking that the planned “notification overhaul” I’ve been fantasizing about, and eagerly awaiting, would consist of including more information as possible notification options - e,g., “sent message to member,” and all the other many notifications that are “missing” and have been requested. I didn’t think that the overhaul would consist of the notification *method*. I thought it was going to be about *content*. So while I have no objection (at least so far;) to this new method besides the fact that it’s initially confusing, I am still hoping that you also plan to add notification content. Is that a correct assumption?

Yep, that's coming.

Yay! Thanks, Mark!