Topics

moderated Limit number of rows in a database table #suggestion

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

I want to create some database tables and allow members to add to them until they reach a certain size. Having a table property that sets the maximum number of rows allowed would be really helpful. My only other options would seem to be asking members not to exceed a certain limit.  As permissions apply to the database feature overall, I can't restrict access to just one table if it reaches the maximum size I want.

Regards,
Andy

Duane

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 10:27 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
As permissions apply to the database feature overall, I can't restrict access to just one table if it reaches the maximum size I want.
Actually you can by changing the permissions/properties of that table, i.e. who can add rows, edit rows, etc.

Duane

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 05:59 PM, Duane wrote:
Actually you can by changing the permissions/properties of that table, i.e. who can add rows, edit rows, etc.
OK I admit that I'd forgotten about those table level permissions but it still means that manual intervention is required to check the number of table entries and then change the settings. It would be more user friendly to have the system keep track once a limit had been defined.

Andy

Peter Cook

You could also create a restricted table with the maximum number of rows you want, and then members could fill in the data.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 11:49 PM, Peter Cook wrote:
You could also create a restricted table with the maximum number of rows you want, and then members could fill in the data.
Hi Peter,

Yes, that's true. While that option may work with small tables I don't really think it's viable with larger tables though and a table property defining the maximum number of rows would be a neater solution.

Cheers,
Andy

Nancy Funk

Oh, that would be super helpful. We use databases to register kids for co-op classes and each class has student cap. Outside of having to monitor and "turn-off" a table when a class gets full, we have no way to stop people from going over the cap.