Topics

moderated Add option to Bcc Moderators when banning or rejecting pending requests #suggestion

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

As an owner/moderator I get the options to 'Bcc: Me' and 'Bcc: All Moderators' when sending a message to a member from the membership list.  However, when performing actions like banning or rejecting a member a message is also sent to the member (if an active notice is defined} but there is no option to Bcc: anyone. Unlike rejecting a pending message, the message text is not recorded in the Activity log either so there's no proper audit trail. If we can get an option to Bcc: others (and also perhaps record the text in the Activity Log) that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Andy

Chris Jones

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 06:22 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
However, when performing actions like banning or rejecting a member a message is also sent to the member (if an active notice is defined} but there is no option to Bcc: anyone.
Andy; a very worthwhile observation IMHO. There is, however, another related anomaly lurking in the background!

As a moderator I have the option of being notified when anyone joins or leaves a group from the pick list of Notifications. Should the rejection of  an application or the banning of a member also be on the same pick list or should they be at the discretion of whoever does the rejection or banning via the bcc mechanism? Both might be a bit messy and I have no fixed view on which might be better. I certainly think your suggestion is worthy of inclusion whichever method is considered.

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 10:28 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
As a moderator I have the option of being notified when anyone joins or leaves a group from the pick list of Notifications. Should the rejection of  an application or the banning of a member also be on the same pick list or should they be at the discretion of whoever does the rejection or banning via the bcc mechanism? Both might be a bit messy and I have no fixed view on which might be better.
Chris, a very good point. If I reject a pending message I get the option to Bcc: my fellow moderator and the message text used appears in the activity log. We do always try to remember to use the Bcc: All Moderators checkbox so we are both kept informed of the other's activities but on rare occasions we have both forgotten to do that. In that instance, I guess a checkbox in our own options to say we want to receive those notices would remove that element of risk

The other option when sending a message is to 'Bcc: Me'. Personally, I don't generally use that kind of option on any platform but I'm sure that some do. Are you suggesting removing that option from there too? I guess leaving it in place would keep some consistency with the 'BCC Me' option when sending a private reply via the web UI. My main concern in raising this is that I don't get a copy of the text used if a pre-defined noitce is used and that given that the text is not recorded in the activity log, and that a pre-defined notice can be changed after a message is sent, I have no audit trail or any way that I can see of working out what message was sent.

Regards,
Andy

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 09:08 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Are you suggesting removing that option from there too?
No; I have never used bcc: me other than as a test, but as you say others might use it. My main point is wondering whether Membership Reject and Ban Member should be in the list of "optional" Notifications or simply be covered by an optional bcc All Moderators.

The group I moderate rarely does either so we don't have any pro forma messages set up for these occasions, not least because I doubt if we find a "one size fits all" wording for either eventuality.

Chris