Topics

moderated Daily Summary not being sent to some people #bug #fixed

Duane

It's not happening to everyone, but many are reporting that some members are no longer getting the Daily Summary (DS).  It seems to have started on May 20 or 21.  I tried changing my subscription on a couple of groups and it worked fine.  It seems to only be those that were already on DS on that date, but I can't confirm that.

Hi Duane,

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 12:07 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
It's not happening to everyone, but many are reporting that some members are no longer getting the Daily Summary (DS).  It seems to have started on May 20 or 21.  I tried changing my subscription on a couple of groups and it worked fine.  It seems to only be those that were already on DS on that date, but I can't confirm that.

Please send me the email addresses of the people not receiving the summaries (and their groups) off-list and I'll investigate.

That week I did fix a bug; muted topics had been included in summaries before, and now they are not. Maybe that's it?

Jim Wilson

I have not been able to receive Daily Summaries for GMF, this group or any other group for which I had Daily Summary set. This happened after the morning of 5/20/2020 when I received the last ones. I changed to Individual Messages and received those but I switched back to Daily Summary and now nothing again.

Jim

Jim Wilson

I forgot to mention that I have never muted a topic.

This issue is reported on GMF here and here.

Jim

Hi All,

I have so far been unable to track down this bug. I've added a bunch more debugging logging to the code and the next step is to let it run overnight when it should be generating digests to see what it shows. I'll update tomorrow.

Hi All,

I think I've tracked down and fixed the missing summaries bug. The program that generates the summaries runs every hour and generates the summaries for people with the appropriate timezone for that hour. The problem was that sometimes, especially for the US East and West coasts, those summary runs would take longer than an hour, because of the number of summaries generated. This was causing problems for the following hour (mainly midwest US people).

I've re-written the program so that it's much more efficient now (it runs in about 2 minutes for US East now instead of 1.5 hours). Hopefully this should fix the missing summaries bug.

Thanks, Mark

Bob Bellizzi

Reentrant code might let them run concurrently if one lagged.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 12:16 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
(it runs in about 2 minutes for US East now instead of 1.5 hours)
Is this the same underlying code that generates Digests also?  There was a suggestion that reports of receiving 13 messages in a Digest could be due to extra messages being received between the time a Digest was triggered and the time it completed. If this is the same underlying code and it is now more efficient, the chances of 13 messages in a Digest would be reduced.

Andy

KenK

The Daily Summaries are working again for me. I am in the midwest US.

Jim Wilson

Working for me in Houston now. Thanks.

--
Jim

Andy Wedge

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 12:16 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

The program that generates the summaries runs every hour and generates the summaries for people with the appropriate timezone for that hour.
I've re-written the program so that it's much more efficient now

I've noticed that I'm getting the daily summary and digest from my test subgroup an hour later (at 07:00) than those from my main group (at 06:00). This doesn't seem to make sense as the accounts these are sent to are all in the same timezone (currently UTC +01:00).

Regards,
Andy

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 11:20 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I've noticed that I'm getting the daily summary and digest from my test subgroup an hour later (at 07:00) than those from my main group (at 06:00). This doesn't seem to make sense as the accounts these are sent to are all in the same timezone (currently UTC +01:00).

This should be fixed now.

Mark,

I appreciate the discussion on notifications. It's clear some
additional controls/changes are needed. Please keep the discussion
going.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25444

A suggestion for #wiki-notice

In the body text of the notification include the Reason text (from the "Write a small message here explaining the edit. (Optional)" box). If any.

Bonus points: include a link to the Compare Revisions page for this version versus the last one notified. (I've been wanting this in message edits too).

Shal

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 7:38 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

A suggestion for #wiki-notice

In the body text of the notification include the Reason text (from the
"Write a small message here explaining the edit. (Optional)" box). If any.

Bonus points: include a link to the Compare Revisions page for this
version versus the last one notified. (I've been wanting this in message
edits too).

I've made these changes to the #wiki-notice message.