Topics

moderated Reporting a pending subscriber #misc

Hi All,

For those of you with restricted groups, if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature? It would filter up to something system wide. Are there other tools I could provide to help weed these jerks out?

(fully acknowledging that this would only be one signal in evaluating if someone was a spammer).

Joseph Hudson

Hi Mark, yes I would definitely use such a feature. I think just in case if they apply with a valid email address and valid name and they start spamming the group with messages, for those of us that do not approve messages I would like to also see that we have a button that we can hit on their membership that would report them for spamming the group after they have been approved. It would be a such as approved the member, see what they do, and then report and remove that way that it is brought to your attention.

On May 5, 2020, at 5:02 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

For those of you with restricted groups, if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature? It would filter up to something system wide. Are there other tools I could provide to help weed these jerks out?

(fully acknowledging that this would only be one signal in evaluating if someone was a spammer).

Michael Chopra

Hi. I would also use such a feature, I think it would help a lot of people.
Thanks.
From Michael.

Hi Mark, yes I would definitely use such a feature. I think just in case if they apply with a valid email address and valid name and they start spamming the group with messages, for those of us that do not approve messages I would like to also see that we have a button that we can hit on their membership that would report them for spamming the group after they have been approved. It would be a such as approved the member, see what they do, and then report and remove that way that it is brought to your attention.
> On May 5, 2020, at 5:02 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> For those of you with restricted groups, if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature? It would filter up to something system wide. Are there other tools I could provide to help weed these jerks out?
>
> (fully acknowledging that this would only be one signal in evaluating if someone was a spammer).
>

> Thanks,
> Mark

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 06:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
For those of you with restricted groups, if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature?
If such a tool is implemented, it shouldn't be restricted to those in Pending status. It's hard to know that someone's a spammer until they actually send some.

Regards,
Bruce

Sarah k Alawami

Oh heck yes, I would use this even on nonrestricted groups. I will not tolerate spammer, and they should be band from the whole of groups.io, right down to their IP although that might be a bit extreme. But we've got to get rid of those idiots once and for all.

On 5 May 2020, at 15:02, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi All,

For those of you with restricted groups, if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature? It would filter up to something system wide. Are there other tools I could provide to help weed these jerks out?

(fully acknowledging that this would only be one signal in evaluating if someone was a spammer).

Donald Hellen

Yes!

Donald

On Tue, 5 May 2020 15:02:33 -0700, "Mark Fletcher"
<markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

For those of you with restricted groups, if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature?

https://groups.io/g/ICOM
https://groups.io/g/Ham-Antennas
https://groups.io/g/HamRadioHelp

Sarah k Alawami

I think that is also a good idea. I won't want to accidentally report a member who really is a member and have it be a false positive. Would there be a way maybe for subscribers to report them to me first using a form on the list, then I use that data to report it to you using that "button?"

Take care

On 5 May 2020, at 15:14, Joseph Hudson wrote:

[...]

Hi Sarah, I'm not trying to make this too obvious. But you could use the owners email address to let members report suspicious activity to you from other members if they need to be reported and sent to Mark.

On May 5, 2020, at 5:40 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Finch

Hi, Mark;

I manage this in the listserv groups I admininster by not automatically removing a first poster from moderation. I wait until they have made additional posts, each of which is reviewed and approved if it is real. If they they truly belong they are removed from moderation. I used to manage my Yahoo groups the same way. Is there an easy way to do that with gio?

Keep well,
Larry

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 50"
W 74° 02' 55"

Steph Mathews

Oh yes.  Please do.  Possibly some kind of tool that would alert the group owner that the person requesting to join could be a possible spammer?  Maybe?  If not, then that’s ok.  Thanks!

Have a blessed day!  Steph

For those of you with restricted groups, if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature? It would filter up to something system wide. Are there other tools I could provide to help weed these jerks out?

(fully acknowledging that this would only be one signal in evaluating if someone was a spammer).

Ken Kloeber

>>Hi Mark, yes I would definitely use such a feature<<

Hear, hear!
Please do- and reporting be for non restricted as well?

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 05:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
if I added a feature where you could report someone who had applied to your group that you thought was a spammer, would you use that feature?
At first glance, that sounds like a great idea.  After thinking about it a bit, I'm not so sure.  One concern is that some legitimate applicants may get reported based on the patterns of previous attempts we've seen.  And as Bruce mentioned, it can be difficult to tell while they're still pending.  Maybe it would be more applicable to have an action button on the member record to report it.  I just hope that if the option is added that it won't be abused by group owners.

Duane

Christopher Warrington

On 2020-05-05 at 3:53:02 PM, Larry Finch <Finches@...> wrote:

I manage this in the listserv groups I admininster by not automatically
removing a first poster from moderation. I wait until they have made
additional posts, each of which is reviewed and approved if it is real. If
they they truly belong they are removed from moderation. I used to manage
my Yahoo groups the same way. Is there an easy way to do that with gio?
Larry, I think the feature you're looking for is called "New Members
Moderated" [1]:

Select this checkbox if you want to approve the first message or first few
messages sent to the group by new members. This setting allows you to
check that new members follow your group’s requirements for posting
messages.
An option from the list to specify whether new members automatically are
no longer moderated after they send one approved message or after they
send two, three, or four consecutive approved messages. Or you can select
Not enabled (which is at the top of the list) to keep new members
moderated until you decide to unmoderate them manually
[1]: https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/customizing-group-settings/spam-control-and-moderation-settings

--
Christopher W. <lists@...>

Ann Wild

This is my concern: Could marking a sender as a possible or real spammer be done without risking mislabeling folks? A spammer in one group may not be a spammer in every group. An alert about a spammer would be fine, but blackballing a person across all groups, without moderator control, seems problematic.

Larry,

I manage this in the listserv groups I admininster by not
automatically removing a first poster from moderation. ...
Is there an easy way to do that with gio?
What Christopher said: the "New Members Moderated" checkbox in the Spam Control panel of your group's Settings page.

With it checked you'll be given a choice of manual ("Not enabled") or automatic Unmoderate After (pick a number).

Shal

Chris Jones

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:51 PM, Joseph Hudson wrote:
But you could use the owners email address to let members report suspicious activity to you from other members if they need to be reported and sent to Mark.
No. As a group owner or moderator it's your job to be on the look - out yourself; you should not rely on your members to do it for you. OK; someone might report their concerns to you, but that does not absolve you of your responsibilities.

Chris

Duane

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 10:33 PM, Ann Wild wrote:
Could marking a sender as a possible or real spammer be done without risking mislabeling folks?
I believe that's why Mark included the 'disclaimer':

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 05:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
(fully acknowledging that this would only be one signal in evaluating if someone was a spammer).

Duane

Scott Logan

I think this would be a very welcome addition as long as it was a tool available only to group owners and/or moderators. I’m afraid that such a tool available to report spammers by average members would quickly get overused.

OTOH, a tool for members to report content to the owner/moderators of THAT group could be useful as well.

Welp… looks that already is a feature. Guess I learned something today!

Scott

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 02:24 PM, Scott Logan wrote:
OTOH, a tool for members to report content to the owner/moderators of THAT group could be useful as well.
I glad that you spotted that just before you pressed "send". In many circumstances the same tool can be used by owners & moderators to report suspects to Groups.io, but it doesn't cover every contingency.

More later; I'm in the middle of other things.

Chris

Rex Chadwell

Mark, I've been meaning to write and since you may be working on new subscribers.... I want more than an email address from my new subscribers. Is there, or could there be, a way to force a new subscriber to insert his/her full name?
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this question or request.